So tonight we played our first haunt with the expansion and ended up with Haunt 86. It was definitely different and left us with a lot of confusion. We are looking to clarify some wording as the haunt seemed impossible for the heroes - being aware a lot of this is situational, we had a hard time imagining situations where it would have worked out. This Haunt is called "The Woods in the Cabin"
In the Traitor's Tome it states that every turn the Traitor must do some actions, one of which is:
"Put a number of Squirrels equal to the number of heroes in the room with the Plant token connected to the Tree House."
If we have four heroes, is this instructing the Traitor every turn to place 4 more squirrels to add to the previous ones or is it telling them to place squirrels equal to the number of heroes currently in that room?
If it is the second option, where does the traitor place the squirrels?
Do the squirrels all move separately, any number up to 8 spaces each (some moving 6, some moving 1, some moving 8) in a single turn or does the hero pick a speed (up to max as instructed) and then all squirrels move that speed?
Can heroes attack squirrels with might if they wish?
Do squirrels impede hero movements?
We found it impossible to do anything against 16 squirrels on only turn/round 4 when heroes had only done a single action to progress the haunt (aside from exploring rooms upstairs) and if any other hero attempted anything, it would result in potentially 20 the next turn attacking which we could not defend against.
Our scenario was definitely stacked due to our layout which was
Roof = Landing + 2 rooms
Upper = Landing
Main Floor = Tree House + 13 Rooms
Basement = Landing + 6 rooms
So the heroes had to explore the upper (not knowing traitor would win if the total exceeded 10 more than the starting in-tact rooms), destroy 13 main floor rooms, continuously defeat squirrels which move fast without needing to roll, and kill roots so we could have more upper to cause the house to tip.
Our layout definitely set us up to fail, but clarification would do wonders here!
Clarification would be greatly appreciated!
Wizards of the coast clarified things for me, and in case anyone else has issues with the haunt I will post their response here:
Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast!
To go down your list of questions:
1) To clarify. the Traitor is required to put a number of Squirrels equal to the total of living Heroes into the room with the Plant token connected to the Treehouse. It is not equal to the number of Heroes in the connected Plant token room.
2) You are correct; the Squirrels each move individually "up to" their full speed, so they don't have to go the full distance.
3) Heroes can attack Squirrels with Might, but it will only stun them like with other monsters (as mentioned on pg. 18 in the base rule book). Per the Secrets of Survival for Haunt 86, only a Knowledge roll with an Acorn in the same room can actually remove a Squirrel from the room/board. There is an important exception to this rule, however, in the Traitor's Tome. If Squirrels in the same room attack a Hero with their combined Might and fail, each point of damage dealt by the Hero removes one Squirrel from that room/the board.
4) Squirrels impede Hero movement only in the same way that other monsters do as explained in the "Moving Past Opponents" section of the base rule book on pg. 17: "For each opponent in a room with it after the haunt starts, an explorer or monster must use 1 extra space of movement to leave that room."
I hope I was able to clear up any confusions you guys were experiencing- good luck against those Squirrels! Please let us know if you ever have any further questions or concerns. You can reply to this email or you can call us at the phone number listed below during business hours. We’ll be happy to help as best we can.
Take care and may your omens never bode ill!
thats exactly how we played it ... we ended up winning as the heros, because we had exclusively explored the roof and upper floors, and only had 4 tiles explored (besides the 3 for the landing) and only 2 basement tiles (of which the haunt adds up to 4)
just randomly worked in our favor, as we were able to clear the tiles relatively easily...prob also helped that we only had 3 players, the extra squirrels would have hurt our heroes much faster...
I love how this ties in with the other 3 haunts too finally play the big boss!
- Last edited Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:30 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:30 am