Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Rider
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of Tatsu, but really, really, not a fan of the packaging. What I'd like to do is get a cloth board printed so that the board and pieces can fit into a bag. This would be far more compact than the normal packaging, less fiddly to use, and more portable. What can I say, I REALLY like portable games.

Printerstudio.com has bandanas that they will print to order, and this appears to be the perfect size for a Tatsu board. My only issue is that I believe it would work much better with a simplified image (rather than just a photo or scan of the actual board). I'm no artist -- so I thought if I threw out the idea somebody with more graphic ability than I have might run with it and see what they can do...?

http://www.printerstudio.com/personalized/full-color-bandana...

(Bandana 18" square. The actual board is roughly 16" square.)

My other option would be a pretty straightforward line drawing version. I could probably even color that in.

So what do you all think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We've contacted this company http://www.wonderfulgamemats.com
Looking to see if we could produce a mat for Tatsu to make the game easy to travel with. Waiting on a reply from them, will post here if this could be a viable option.

Regards
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What I was thinking of making is a cloth board that is the bag.

Take a 6 sided peace of cloth, make the board design on it and make a hollow seam around through which you run a cord. At the end of the game, put all the pieces and the dice in the middle of the board, tighten the cord and it's a bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I made a prototype for my idea. Not the prettiest yet, but functional. Since i am going on vacation tomorrow I didn't have time for more.
The pictures should be available in the gallery soon.
After my vacation I can say how it worked.

edit: the pictures got approved.

I made this quickly, without measuring anything, as can be seen by the different sized sides. Just cut some cloth in a hexacgon and made seams wide enough to lead a shoelace through without too much friction.
I quickly drew the board with markers that are not very suitable for cloth.
I know it doesn't look very pretty, I only had a couple of hours to do this and want to try it on vacation. If I like it I will make a better measured version on better quality cloth, with a nicer board.

This is the full game, folded and tied into the board that is used as a bag now.

This is the game set up to play. To go from the situation in the previous picture to the setup from this picture took me only 1min. 9sec.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Siefken
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alternatively you could using 6 playing cards, laid out in a hexagon and with a 2x3 raster pattern on the back. For example, conceivably even this pattern would work (but not to clear) http://visualtarot.com/decks/hanson-roberts-tarot/back-image...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gringe Commander
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Gen Four Two wrote:
Looking to see if we could produce a mat for Tatsu to make the game easy to travel with. Waiting on a reply from them, will post here if this could be a viable option.

Regards
John

THe site no longer exists. Did they go out of busines? Or what happened?
I seen them at the Spiel 2016 in Essen, but had no money at the time to buy the maps i wanted would be a pity if they no longer sell those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GringeCommander wrote:
Gen Four Two wrote:

Regards
John

THe site no longer exists. Did they go out of busines? Or what happened?
I seen them at the Spiel 2016 in Essen, but had no money at the time to buy the maps i wanted would be a pity if they no longer sell those.

I met them in Essen and got their contact details, but I think they went out of business, we tried to contact them a few times to see if we could work with them, but never got any reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Panayi
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
There is still interest in this, if you find another suitable company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tieske
Netherlands
Abcoude
flag msg tools
This Neurenberg fair, I spoke to the designer. John had a flexible playing mat prototype with him and was thinking about making Tatsu more portable. Great guy to talk to and very enthusiastic about his latest design.
Let's hope this will show up in 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tieske
Netherlands
Abcoude
flag msg tools
Thinking about a travel / pocket version.
You could opt for a thin rubber board (akin Onitama).
Roll it around a small tube containing the stones and dice...Presto!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Stanley
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John, maybe you could talk to Nestor Games, he produces mousepad-like mats for his games. I don't know where he has them done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bone
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John,

Would you be willing to take a look here for custom-printed vinyl mats:

http://www.uscfsales.com/wildstylecustom ??

You can order as few as 25. I'd be in for one.

Thanks,
Charles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Charles
Vinyl is not really what I'm looking for.
And after getting feedback about the mousemat material, we have come to the conclusion that this is too thick also, to make it viable for travel, so we are back to the drawing board again with this idea.
Really looking for some sort of strong cloth like material that will fold without creasing.

Thanks
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob G

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
love this. would purchase. could theoretically make my own if I had the time to spend on it... if someone had the time to do it right, count me in.

mag74b wrote:
I made a prototype for my idea. Not the prettiest yet, but functional. Since i am going on vacation tomorrow I didn't have time for more.
The pictures should be available in the gallery soon.
After my vacation I can say how it worked.

edit: the pictures got approved.

I made this quickly, without measuring anything, as can be seen by the different sized sides. Just cut some cloth in a hexacgon and made seams wide enough to lead a shoelace through without too much friction.
I quickly drew the board with markers that are not very suitable for cloth.
I know it doesn't look very pretty, I only had a couple of hours to do this and want to try it on vacation. If I like it I will make a better measured version on better quality cloth, with a nicer board.

This is the full game, folded and tied into the board that is used as a bag now.

This is the game set up to play. To go from the situation in the previous picture to the setup from this picture took me only 1min. 9sec.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got one of these on order for my game of Tak, maybe speak to them and ask where they get them made ?

https://thetinkerspacks.com/collections/games/products/tak-c...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.