Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Smash Up rules confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Anderson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I have a couple of questions about some rules for Smash Up. My roommate and I were playing the games together and we clashed twice while playing this game.

The first argument:
I played the card MASS ENCHANTMENT from the Wizard's Deck. This card states "Reveal the top card of each other player's deck. Play one revealed action as an extra action. Return unused cards to the top of their deck"
My roommate had just finished his turn and used up the last card in his deck when he picked up his cards. He never shuffled his discard pile to make a new deck.
His argument: he did not have a deck for me to take a card from. Therefore the card did nothing.
My Argument: You always have a deck. And if you don't you are supposed to shuffle your discard pile right away.

Which one of us is right?

The second argument:
Special moves on cards can sometimes be confusing. And I have come to learn (from this same argument) that there are cards you can play from your hand.
I was the only person on a base and it was about to score when he played INTIMIDATING PRESENCE from the Dragon Deck which has three parts. Play on a Base. Ongoing: Other players' minions here have -1 power. Special: Before a Base scores, you may play this card there.

His Argument: It says before a Base scores so that means he can put it there. It doesn't say "move" card, it says "play" card. Therefore it needn't already be in play.
My Arguement: It was out of turn so he can't play from his hand. If it was in play, it would be a different argument.

We were able to find a couple things about what the special ability allows a card to do and it seems that he might actually be right about this. In game, I ruled in his favor this time.
However, I am wondering, was he? Is it actually allowed to play cards like that out of turn? It seems unfair because you never actually have to play them, you can just hold them in your hand and save them.

Which is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id say you are right for the first, his right for the second.

You always have a deck, if its empty, shuffle the discard.

If the card states "Play before a base scores" he can play out-of turn to score.

Thats my opinion on it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
Goats are like mushrooms, if you shoot a duck I'm scared of toasters.
mbmbmbmbmb
7of9fk wrote:
You always have a deck. And if you don't you are supposed to shuffle your discard pile right away.

Correct.

7of9fk wrote:
It says before a Base scores so that means he can put it there. It doesn't say "move" card, it says "play" card. Therefore it needn't already be in play.

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just adding another assuring voice that the answers given already are right.
When you run out of your deck you shuffel the discard in no matter what else or when, else you could end up drawing just 1 card (or actually maybe even 0) vs 2 at the end of your turn

think of "before a base scores" as a phase, its after it breaks but before you figure on who gets what. Its shorthand so they don't have to put more complicated rules on the card or a large amount of text. So by saing that its intending to say you can play not on your turn but not anytime only right after a base breaks and before you determine who gets what and also it wont stop the base from breaking.
Yeah it is a bit unfair but thats kinda the point, theres only one of that card and each faction has their own cheap trick.
Hope that helps you think about the game mechanic operations with more confidence. Best of luck in playing what I feel is an under appreciated game.

edit add: If you ever have a rule question it may also help to look at the forums on that game's page

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the actual questions have been covered, I'd like to address something else I noticed.

7of9fk wrote:
I was the only person on a base and it was about to score when he played INTIMIDATING PRESENCE from the Dragon Deck which has three parts. Play on a Base. Ongoing: Other players' minions here have -1 power. Special: Before a Base scores, you may play this card there.

While Intimidating Presence _can_ be played in this situation, there is (likely) nothing to be gained by doing so.
Once a base 'starts' breaking, it WILL break that turn, regardless of other factors.
Since you are the only one on the base, the net affect will be nothing: The base will still break, you will still have Highest Power
Even if this (somehow) drops you to Zero Power or less, you still have the Highest Power there.

From the rule book:
"When a base has been chosen to score, each
player first gets to use any Special abilities that
happen “before” the base scores. If the total
power on a base drops below its breakpoint,
you still finish scoring the base."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7of9fk wrote:
I have a couple of questions about some rules for Smash Up. My roommate and I were playing the games together and we clashed twice while playing this game.

The first argument:
I played the card MASS ENCHANTMENT from the Wizard's Deck. This card states "Reveal the top card of each other player's deck. Play one revealed action as an extra action. Return unused cards to the top of their deck"
My roommate had just finished his turn and used up the last card in his deck when he picked up his cards. He never shuffled his discard pile to make a new deck.
His argument: he did not have a deck for me to take a card from. Therefore the card did nothing.
My Argument: You always have a deck. And if you don't you are supposed to shuffle your discard pile right away.

Which one of us is right?

It is written in the rules.

4. Draw 2 Cards
Just what it says. The maximum number of cards
you can have in your hand at this time is 10. If
you have more than 10 after drawing, discard
down to 10.
If you need to draw or reveal a card and your
deck is empty, shuffle your discard pile.
Put it on
the table face down—that’s your new deck. Start
drawing from there.

Quote:
The second argument:
Special moves on cards can sometimes be confusing. And I have come to learn (from this same argument) that there are cards you can play from your hand.

His Argument: It says before a Base scores so that means he can put it there. It doesn't say "move" card, it says "play" card. Therefore it needn't already be in play.
My Arguement: It was out of turn so he can't play from his hand. If it was in play, it would be a different argument.

We were able to find a couple things about what the special ability allows a card to do and it seems that he might actually be right about this. In game, I ruled in his favor this time.
However, I am wondering, was he? Is it actually allowed to play cards like that out of turn? It seems unfair because you never actually have to play them, you can just hold them in your hand and save them.

Which is it?

That's the very purpose of these cards. The only reason to play them normally is because you will have over 10 cards in your hand and/or you get a benefit from playing it.

Also, Play means from your hand. So if it was already in play, he could not move it to another base.

Also, he didn't play it out of turn. He played it outside HIS turn, but it still was your turn. Very important information here for many cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.