Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I love miniature painting, but when confronted with the 160-odd awesome miniatures in the box for my Conan King Pledge, I wanted to try a much faster technique than my normal approach.

The first step was to divide the minis into piles, to figure out what base colour I wanted them. Then I ordered some colour primers in rattle cans. I used Games Workshop Mephiston Red for the soldiers and guards, GW Zandri Dust Spray for the undead, GW Mournfang Brown for the pirates and coyotes, GW Mechanicus Standard Grey for the ape and demons, Army Painter Army Green for the Thaug and the tentacles, and Army Painter Barbarian flesh on the picts and a few number of the heroes.

A hour at the bottom of the garden, and everything is primed.

The next stage was to take a silver acrylic paint (I used "Chrome" from Vallejo, but any "chainmail" type colour will work), and pick out all the swords, ax heads, shields and breastplates. I was fast and as neat as I could be, but always faster and messier than I would usual do.

Similarly, I picked out faces and hands in flesh colour, weapon handles and loincloths in leather brown. Some cloaks and saroungs were painted red. In all, I tried to get at least a second colour on every miniature, beyond they base colour, but never more than three. I time-boxed this whole base coating stage to four hours, meaning I had to work FAST.

After adding the other colours, the next stage was to apply Army Painter Quickshade Strong Tone with an large old brush. This stuff is a combination of a brown wash and a tough gloss varnish. I almost never use is on "proper" painting projects, but it's absolutely perfect for this type of project, (one might say "literally designed for".) Here's an illustration of the effect

The Quickshade provides definition of the details of the Conan miniatures that looks great on the table. These aren't going to win any painting competitions, but all 160 figures are now colourful and can be easily destinquished during play.

The final stages are to paint the bases all the same, and then give them a spray of matt varnish to take the shine off them. I'll post more pictures once that final stage is done, and maybe some close-ups of the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Myers
United States
Spring Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
The blonde Conan looks like He-man! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Thomson
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is super fast! The results look great as well. I'm impressed that you got so much done in such a short space of time, and it looks neat as well.

I had a similar idea - with 200+ minis, taking your time isn't an option (at least for me)! I suspect my skill level, and speed, is less than yours though.

I've attached some pictures of my efforts. I did take *much* longer, but still tried to go for speed. One spray of primer, then simple base coats (no shading or inks), and then Quickshade Strong Tone over the top. Barbarian Flesh, Quickshade and a leather brown will get you a long way with most of the models :-)

This was the first time I've used the Quickshade dip, and I was really impressed. As you say, for these sort of minis, it's ideal. It wouldn't look great in cases where you want crisp, clean lines or bright colours I suspect, but for the dusty, dirty, muddy world of Conan, it works wonders. Wish I'd used it on some previous models!

I'm curious - for Thaug and the tentacles, what colours (if any) were you going to add over the top? Or will you leave him pure green?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very well thought out. The "problem" with a game loaded with so many lovely minis is the time required to paint them. I am a slow painter, so this is a major difficulty. You have certainly given me some good ideas to accelerate the process. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I SO needed this thread in my life.

I bought 2 cans of Barbarian Flesh, 1 can Chaotic Red, 1 can Skeleton Bone, 1 can Necrotic Flesh and 1 can Goblin Green just to do EXACTLY what you did in the first picture. My heart lifted when I saw someone else had the same idea, and I'm glad to see it pulled off so well.

I'll probably put a bit more paint on mine, much like AlexDev's set, but I am so so glad the primer base has made this daunting task much easier.

On everyone who used quickshade--are you dipping or brushing on? In the past I've dipped but it's always so much more hassle to pull all the extra dip off the mini very quickly else it strips the paint when you try to wipe it clean. It also pools around the feet a lot... any tips? I'm guessing brushing on will give you more control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some BGG'ers prefer to brush it on, so definitely try it!

fwiw, If you can't dip, there's the Quickshade Ink set. These come in eye droppers and you brush them onto the figure. The latest set has a flesh wash. So it's...

Barbarian Flesh Primer : Flesh wash and maybe Soft Tone wash (brown)
Chaotic Red primer : Red wash and maybe Purple wash
Skeleton Bone : Soft Tone wash or Strong Tone wash (brown wash)
Necrotic Flesh and Goblin Green : Green wash and maybe Blue wash

For the purple and blue washes, carefully apply them in the recesses only if the red and green washes aren't enough. For armor and other metals, use Dark Tone (black) and carefully apply.

Review and pics: http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2013/08/review-army-paint...

If you search on "Quickshade Ink tutorial", you hit all my Zombicide painting tutorials. Just click on an image for a closer look! zombie
https://www.google.com/search?q=quickshade+ink+tutorial&espv...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I use GW washes in this way. Not very cost effective (and doesn't protect in the same way these thicker varnishes do) but easy to brush on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

I've finished varnishing them all, and have painted the bases on 50% of them. I will post more photos once I have based and matt varnished them all.

AlexDev wrote:
I'm curious - for Thaug and the tentacles, what colours (if any) were you going to add over the top? Or will you leave him pure green?

For Thaug, I added some orange eyes. The Snake and the tentacles I've just left green.

Having applied the strong tone, I'm not that happy with them, and I think I am going to go back and add at least one more colour.

I'm also might add a simple water effect to the tentacle bases, because that will look cool and is relatively simple.

I've been listening to the audiobook version of The Hour Of The Dragon to keep me in the mood whilst I plough through this mountain of plastic :D

Loving it though. The quality is very basic, but the satisfaction of having colour on all 160 of them is great.

After I undercoated everything, I realised I totally missed the dungeon furniture... BY CROM! >:(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Shoum wrote:
The blonde Conan looks like He-man! :surprise:

IKR! Listening back, of course Conan has black hair... Oh well. My Conan is He-Man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
On everyone who used quickshade--are you dipping or brushing on?

Always brush on IMHO. Dipping is messy - getting horrible sticky varnish all over the place. Plus you then have to find a way to get the excess off, and "flicking" it just awful and will ruin your shoes/trousers/patio/windows.

Brush it on takes about the same amount of time, but is cleaner and more controllable and ends up with a much neater and nicely finish, without "pooling" all over the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The weather finally cleared up enough for me to get some Testor's Dullcoat on the minis. Again, ain't gonna win any awards, but everyone is now colourful and recognisable! Here's a selection of close-ups.

160 minis took me maybe a total of 8hrs. 1hr spray undercoating, 3hrs painting details, 1.5hr strong tone varnishing, 2hrs painting bases, 30mins spraying matt varnish. Really happy with this speed! This is my most efficient project yet! :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crikeymiles wrote:
160 minis took me maybe a total of 8hrs. 1hr spray undercoating, 3hrs painting details, 1.5hr strong tone varnishing, 2hrs painting bases, 30mins spraying matt varnish. Really happy with this speed! This is my most effecience project yet! :D

Nice job, there, they look pretty good.

If you get bored and have some time on your hands, I can drop my boxes around to you.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Blonde Conan... are you changing the game to He-Man?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Clinton
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hillean wrote:
Blonde Conan... are you changing the game to He-Man?

Especially with the flesh colored bracers! Looks like the old toy. Good look. And I would very much enjoy a skirmish game of Conan vs He-Man.

I totally get the time sink aspect (I'm sitting here looking at the same heap of minis), but there's a real tragedy regarding how much better some of those models would look with a little more detail painted!

It's the eternal struggle of "make it look amazing" vs "get the dang things painted and PLAY THE GAME."

It's very likely I will wind up making the same choice, otherwise I'll be painting until the Mythic Battles: Pantheon kickstarter delivers. His results are very good with this method, once I get my Walking Dead stuff finished I will move on to Conan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thornhammer wrote:
It's the eternal struggle of "make it look amazing" vs "get the dang things painted and PLAY THE GAME."

A thousand times this!

I have boxes of half-painted Warhammer armies, and over time I have found it much more satisfying to have a set of minis finished to a lower standard than fuss over them and never actually finish the project.

Instead, I prefer to spend my time fussing over single models or small gangs of models for skirmish game. There the satisfaction of "doing the models justice" is possible to achieve before I go "oooh! shiny!" and switch to a new project! :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crikeymiles wrote:
I have boxes of half-painted Warhammer armies, and over time I have found it much more satisfying to have a set of minis finished to a lower standard than fuss over them and never actually finish the project.

yeah half painted armies are more depressing than a full set at a similar level.

in context of increasing throughput I experimented myself with a simple bronze statue look

with yet another out of the downright unlimited pool of conans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Power Grid Fan
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting a quote for about $700, I've decided to make this my first paint project. I am going to pick up a set of army painter spray primers, paints and quick shade. I appreciate the step by step pics you provided of the various stages like after priming, after metal, after adding a few colors, after quick shading, and after dulloating. Makes me think I might be able to pull off duplicating it one step at a time too. Not looking for perfection, just a decent look on the table. Thanks for sharing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Muchly welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great guide! Looks like everything turned out pretty great!

Just took a look on GWs site for the sprays, don't seem to have them on the Canadian one - have these been discontinued?

What're thoughts between them and the Army Painter ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gill
msg tools
You still really still need to use primer with the gw paints as well just paint. The army painter sprays are also primers, working by bonding with the plastic. Also the gw stuff is in part apparently linked to their model releases, coming in and out of stock. Worth grabbing cans, as not always avail as and when you may need them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.