$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: November 2016 Metro Vancouver No-Ship Math Trade - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please use this thread for questions, comments, et cetera on the November 2016 Metro Vancouver No-Ship Math Trade.

• Trade geeklist: November 2016 Metro Vancouver No-Ship Math Trade

• Request geeklist: November 2016 Metro Vancouver No-Ship Math Trade - Request List

• Deadlines: Posting games (Sunday, 20 November 2016 at 21:00 PST) & Want list submissions (Friday, 25 November 2016 at 21:00 PST)



Where & When Do We Meet:

Sunday, 27 November 2016, 16:00 PST

In front of the mall entrance to T&T Supermarket (see photo below)
Central City Shopping Centre
#3000 - 10153 King George Boulevard
Surrey

There is lots of free parking and it is very close to both Skytrain and bus routes. If, for any reason, you are not able to meet at the appointed time and place, it is your responsibility to make alternate arrangements with your trading counterpart(s).



This image shows the entrance to T&T Supermarket from inside the mall. Just left of centre, one can see a set of large planters between two benches. We will congregate there in order to complete our transactions.
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this!

Just want to make sure I'm understanding this, as the only math trade I've done was the latest Seattle/Vancouver one, which used Abecorn.

So we submit our trades and our wants to the geeklists here.

Will those automatically be synced with the OLWLG when the trade is live there? Or do we have to go into the OLWLG and do it there as well?

Do we need to do anything on there regarding the posting of games? I know we have to go there to choose what we're willing to trade for what (clicking the boxes), but other than that?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
Thanks for this!

My pleasure. Thanks for participating!


hist wrote:
So we submit our trades and our wants to the geeklists here.

The main geeklist is where you list the games you have on offer. The request geeklist is simply where you're saying, "Please? Pretty please?" to everyone else. It's just a request-that-someone-offers-this-game list. Your actual want list will be done later on the OLWLG.


hist wrote:
Will those automatically be synced with the OLWLG when the trade is live there? Or do we have to go into the OLWLG and do it there as well?

Yes, it will be synced with the OLWLG when it lists our geeklist (this should be within the next day or so). It's not automatic, but I will manually sync the lists -- probably once or twice a day.


hist wrote:
Do we need to do anything on there regarding the posting of games? I know we have to go there to choose what we're willing to trade for what (clicking the boxes), but other than that?

Short answer: no. The listing of games is all done on BGG.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news! We are live on the OLWLG! W00t!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blick
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have added a handful of games, but this is my first math-trade, so please let me know if there any issues with what i've submitted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seryn wrote:
Have added a handful of games, but this is my first math-trade, so please let me know if there any issues with what i've submitted.


Looks good to me. thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juxtatype wrote:
Seryn wrote:
Have added a handful of games, but this is my first math-trade, so please let me know if there any issues with what i've submitted.


Looks good to me. thumbsup


I've only added 2 (so far), but wouldn't mind a double-check since this is the first time I've used this method.

I think it's ok, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question regarding accepted best-practices. I’ve been in many, many math trades, but maybe accepted behaviour has changed over the years, I’m not sure.

If you add a game to the offer list, but in the end you decide you don’t want anything in exchange, do you submit a blank want list?

That's what I've always done, but I was told by someone after a previous math trade that doing so was considered improper and pretty much a dick move (my words). Seems he had put up my game as the only game he wanted in exchange for multiple of his, and because I submitted a blank want list, he didn’t trade for anything, and he wasn’t happy about it. What I should have done, he told me, was to delete my entry from the offer geeklist.

In all of the math trades I've done, I have never heard of doing that before. It seems strange to me. If I did that, I wouldn’t have a chance at any last-minute submissions that I might have been willing to trade for, unless I jump on a computer at the last possible moment and delete it just as the window closes? I don't know, am I off base?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
I've only added 2 (so far), but wouldn't mind a double-check since this is the first time I've used this method.

I think it's ok, though.


All good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
booned wrote:
I have a question regarding accepted best-practices. I’ve been in many, many math trades, but maybe accepted behaviour has changed over the years, I’m not sure.

If you add a game to the offer list, but in the end you decide you don’t want anything in exchange, do you submit a blank want list?

That's what I've always done, but I was told by someone after a previous math trade that doing so was considered improper and pretty much a dick move (my words). Seems he had put up my game as the only game he wanted in exchange for multiple of his, and because I submitted a blank want list, he didn’t trade for anything, and he wasn’t happy about it. What I should have done, he told me, was to delete my entry from the offer geeklist.

In all of the math trades I've done, I have never heard of doing that before. It seems strange to me. If I did that, I wouldn’t have a chance at any last-minute submissions that I might have been willing to trade for, unless I jump on a computer at the last possible moment and delete it just as the window closes? I don't know, am I off base?


Darryl, I was going to write a long-winded response, but the long-and-short of it is that you are not off base. No one is compelled to submit a wantlist if there's nothing they want! I suppose if one had the presence of mind to delete such an item then that would be sporting, but it can hardly be expected. I think you're just fine.

For the record, I have submitted blank wantlists in the past too. No malice involved.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a couple of questions about why the Canada-wide math trade is occurring at the same time as ours. Unfortunately, I don't have control over what's going on in that math trade, but it shouldn't have much impact on us.

There will be much greater local participation in our Metro Vancouver trade than in the Canada-wide trade, and -- besides -- we don't have to pay for shipping.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, the Canada-wide math trade is over and we can focus on our own trade.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
booned wrote:
If you add a game to the offer list, but in the end you decide you don’t want anything in exchange, do you submit a blank want list?

That's what I've always done, but I was told by someone after a previous math trade that doing so was considered improper and pretty much a dick move (my words).


Blank list PLEASE. Deleted items make baby Jesus cry (and confuse the hell out of everyone who now show wanting blanks in OLWLG and cannot for the life of them figure out what went missing and now there's no evidence it ever existed and you feel like BGG is somehow gaslighting you)
((Commenting for a friend))

The other person is a whiner who was trying to guilt trip you out of your item.

Historically? I've been here since the very first trade Juxtatype ran, and there have been a couple blank want lists in every single trade
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:
booned wrote:
If you add a game to the offer list, but in the end you decide you don’t want anything in exchange, do you submit a blank want list?

That's what I've always done, but I was told by someone after a previous math trade that doing so was considered improper and pretty much a dick move (my words).


Blank list PLEASE. Deleted items make baby Jesus cry (and confuse the hell out of everyone who now show wanting blanks in OLWLG and cannot for the life of them figure out what went missing and now there's no evidence it ever existed and you feel like BGG is somehow gaslighting you)
((Commenting for a friend))

The other person is a whiner who was trying to guilt trip you out of your item.

Historically? I've been here since the very first trade Juxtatype ran, and there have been a couple blank want lists in every single trade


To respectfully present the counter-argument, I personally prefer deleting items that the owner decides against trading. Yes, it affects my system for tracking wants, but to me that confusion is overshadowed by the disappointment at coming away empty because I strategized my want list around a game that is not going to be offered up. And really, the confusion is moot anyway because you're not going to have a chance at trading for the game anyways, so what does it matter if you can't remember what was there?

For games traded on the side I'm fine with the general courtesy of changing item description rather than deleting as that adequately addresses my point above.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:

Blank list PLEASE. Deleted items make baby Jesus cry (and confuse the hell out of everyone who now show wanting blanks in OLWLG and cannot for the life of them figure out what went missing and now there's no evidence it ever existed and you feel like BGG is somehow gaslighting you)


Oops, dang I deleted a couple items, a previous math trade the person that ran it told me to just remove the items. Thanks for the info, in the future I’ll probably just submit blank wants for those items, I didn't know it would show up like that for users if they have already made their want lists.

I guess I don't usually make want lists until after the submission deadline so haven't ran into that issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vangamer1578 wrote:
coming away empty because I strategized my want list around a game that is not going to be offered up.


As compared to when they do have a want list and none of your items trade for it.

Isn't that actually worse? You strategized your whole list around it and somebody else got it instead

Besides, what about changing your mind? I had something I was flip flopping over and I couldn't decide if I was going blank or not. I made up my mind twenty minutes before want lists were due.

Should I have deleted it the first time I decided to go blank?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how you would strategize your want list around any specific listing, unless you REALLY want X so you only offer Y in exchange for X in the hopes that you'll get it. But if that's the case there's nothing else you were willing to offer Y for anyway so it doesn't matter.

Blank want lists are fine, I'd rather people post games they aren't sure if they want to trade. This encourages other people to post more games as well, and can result in more trades. (Maybe X being posted caused Y and Z to get posted hoping to get X. X ends up submitting a blank want list, but Y and Z end up trading with each other.)

Also, I think it would look bad (and needlessly clutter up my subs) if on the last day of listing a bunch of entries got removed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only two-and-a-half days left to post games on offer! The window closes Sunday night. Get 'em in, guys!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maebon wrote:
I don't know how you would strategize your want list around any specific listing, unless you REALLY want X so you only offer Y in exchange for X in the hopes that you'll get it. But if that's the case there's nothing else you were willing to offer Y for anyway so it doesn't matter.

Blank want lists are fine, I'd rather people post games they aren't sure if they want to trade. This encourages other people to post more games as well, and can result in more trades. (Maybe X being posted caused Y and Z to get posted hoping to get X. X ends up submitting a blank want list, but Y and Z end up trading with each other.)

Also, I think it would look bad (and needlessly clutter up my subs) if on the last day of listing a bunch of entries got removed.


Let's say I have two games that I'm interested in trading, A + B. I see three games that I'm want: 1, 2 and 3. Roughly speaking, I see A + B and 2 + 3 as equivalent, meaning I'd be happy to trade A for 2 or 3, or B for 2 or 3. But Game 1 is a grail game I really want, and I'd be willing to trade A and B for just that one game, so I put both games together in a single geeklist to try for just that game, even though I feel I'd have a fair shot at getting the others that I'd be otherwise happy with if Game 1 were not present.

The same situation would hold true if I'd posted first, and then strategized by adding an extra sweetener to one of my entries, or combined two entries together.

I agree that there are limits to this, and the "changing one's mind" argument is a bit of a straw man in that it's impossible to argue against - that happens, and I'd have no hard feelings in that situation (probably done it before myself). I guess where I was coming from is that if you decide you have no intention of trading a game, or have side-traded it prior to the deadline for wantlist submission (this is arbitrary in a way, but we need to have some point where we have maximum information for setting up want lists after all), then I see no problem with deleting it and am in fact in favor of that for cleanliness. Second preference to simply updating the geeklist with that information instead.

Then again, maybe I'm treating this too much like a game...?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vangamer1578 wrote:

Let's say I have two games that I'm interested in trading, A + B. I see three games that I'm want: 1, 2 and 3. Roughly speaking, I see A + B and 2 + 3 as equivalent, meaning I'd be happy to trade A for 2 or 3, or B for 2 or 3. But Game 1 is a grail game I really want, and I'd be willing to trade A and B for just that one game, so I put both games together in a single geeklist to try for just that game, even though I feel I'd have a fair shot at getting the others that I'd be otherwise happy with if Game 1 were not present.

The same situation would hold true if I'd posted first, and then strategized by adding an extra sweetener to one of my entries, or combined two entries together.


Okay, I see what you're saying there. Honestly I still don't see much difference in that situation between a blank want list, or a want list that didn't result in you getting Game 1. Either way you took a gamble on Game 1 instead of 2 and 3 and didn't get it.

Quote:

I agree that there are limits to this, and the "changing one's mind" argument is a bit of a straw man in that it's impossible to argue against - that happens, and I'd have no hard feelings in that situation (probably done it before myself). I guess where I was coming from is that if you decide you have no intention of trading a game, or have side-traded it prior to the deadline for wantlist submission (this is arbitrary in a way, but we need to have some point where we have maximum information for setting up want lists after all), then I see no problem with deleting it and am in fact in favor of that for cleanliness. Second preference to simply updating the geeklist with that information instead.

Then again, maybe I'm treating this too much like a game...?


I suppose what it comes down to is what is meant by:

booned wrote:

If you add a game to the offer list, but in the end you decide you don’t want anything in exchange...


If someone posted a game right away, then decided a week later they actually want to keep it, I agree deleting is probably the best course of action.

If someone posted a game that they're willing to trade, and by the day of the deadline they still haven't seen anything they're wiling to trade for, I think it's fine to leave it posted in case something comes in last minute.

Basically it's the difference of 'I'm not planing on trading this at all' versus 'I'm not planing trading this for anything I've seen yet.' As long as they were planning to trade the game if a worthwhile trade came up a blank wish list is fine.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maebon wrote:


booned wrote:

If you add a game to the offer list, but in the end you decide you don’t want anything in exchange...


If someone posted a game right away, then decided a week later they actually want to keep it, I agree deleting is probably the best course of action.

If someone posted a game that they're willing to trade, and by the day of the deadline they still haven't seen anything they're wiling to trade for, I think it's fine to leave it posted in case something comes in last minute.

Basically it's the difference of 'I'm not planing on trading this at all' versus 'I'm not planing trading this for anything I've seen yet.' As long as they were planning to trade the game if a worthwhile trade came up a blank wish list is fine.


I did this with one of my games. Posted it in the hopes of finding something I'd be willing to trade it for.

So far, I haven't found anything. But I am still hoping.

So I'm leaving it up there, and if it ends up being that there is nothing posted that I would trade it for, I would hope it's ok leaving it up and available.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
As your MT Moderator and Almighty Overlord, I will declare the final word on this in terms of what is permissible (if you want to discuss other details about it, be my guest).

A decision to either submit a blank wantlist or delete an item outright is, more often that not, based on a number of factors. Having considered the matter, I see no particular benefit in outlawing (or even recommending) either practice. To be more explicit: it is perfectly acceptable to either submit a blank wantlist or delete an item, should the circumstances warrant it. This is the general principle upon which these math trades will be run.

If there are specific issues relating to a MT item which require arbitration, then, by all means, bring it to my attention. In any event, all of our conduct should be governed by caritas (charity) towards our fellow traders.

Juxtatype locuta est; causa finita est!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Wingardium leviosa! Amen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
Offering games for this math trade ends at 9 pm tonight (or shortly thereafter, depending on how much wine I've consumed by then).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
Achtung!

There are a couple of small problems in the list that have occurred at the last minute. As a result, the list will not be locked down right at 9, but as soon as possible thereafter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.