Popular Tags: [View All]
David Ward
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, first strat question (I have tons - never has a game frustrated me so much in this department, haha).

So the Iron Mine
Advantage: Play during a clash after a manoeuvre, opponent must discard an action card AND lose a clan.

This is incredibly powerful, strangely so. Most other lands have advantages that benefit the player generally speaking in a small cantrip way, and the others that benefit you are often restricted to the area in question.

The Iron Mine's effect is both POWERFUL and can be used anywhere - it's a bit nuts to deal with (discarding a card is 1/4th of your entire round).

Anyone know how to counter this land/advantage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timothy de bock
msg tools
building a fortress in the iron mine as first action allows you to get the iron mine card from the opponent...

Then try and conquere it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanguy Serra
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

Iron mine is for sure a powerful advantage card - I also think plains (movement) and forest (draw another epic tale) are super powerful -

Overall I really like the dynamic of the territories having intrinsic value which gives the initial position as well as the exploration card an extra special interest

The swamp for example is can be perceived as useless - so in theory easier to defend and gives a "cheaper" presence albeit there is value in being able to discard a card that does nothing to be able to activate a triscale card -

My sense is that there are two main ways to counter iron mine/powerful territory advantage card-

1) you make sure that no one can get the advantage card by controlling the territory - at the beginning by having equal number of clans in that territory and then over the course of the game by fighting adding clans/removing clans etc...

2) when drafting make sure that the person who has iron mine does not get cards that trigger conflicts (warlord/movement etc...) - obviously cards like the bard that give a deed are brutal with the iron mine -

Citadels as a card is obviously powerful as it lets anyone pick up the advantage card mid-season - so worth thinking about uprising in the draft -

regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Van Der Werf
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the territories purposely have very distinct powerlevels to make the decision of where to go interesting. Also the iron mine is very vulnerable to the fortress unlike many other action cards and if you're taking the geis just to counter the fortress it isn't all too efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Houghton
United States
Platteville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
vwoommmmmm
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tanguyserra wrote:
The swamp for example is can be perceived as useless - so in theory easier to defend and gives a "cheaper" presence albeit there is value in being able to discard a card that does nothing to be able to activate a triscale card

It's also useful for "passing" when you don't know if the other players are going to also pass (but you still intend to play other cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.