Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone give an idea of how much text is used on the cards and how big a part they play in the game?

The German edition is significantly cheaper than the English and I'm thinking of picking it up. We quite often buy German games if language isn't a bug factor but I usually avoid German versions of Uwe's big box games like agricola due to the heavy use of text dependent cards.

Minor text dependency is fine, in fact quite nice as my daughter is learning German at school.

Thanks, chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Lindrupsen
Norway
Fredrikstad
Østfold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are okay with translating the appendix when you need to know what an occupation card do, there is really no language in the game.

The only language is the round tracker and the names on the occupations. If you know some german or don't care about translating some text when you need to, I think you are good to go!

It's a great game, so I hope you will get a shot at it soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are very few cards with more text than symbols and because they are all numbered you can look them up in the appendix (english version is available in the files section).
Lots of cards have only symbols.
Plus, you will hardly get more than half a dozen cards per game. (Each player gets one card with the start of the game and you can draw another if you use a triple vikings action or the extra draw option at the bottom of the board.

cw67q wrote:

Minor text dependency is fine, in fact quite nice as my daughter is learning German at school.

A great way to boost interest in another language are games or video games or movies. Your daughter could manage the translation then.
(Of yourse, each player should keep their occupation cards hidden until they decide to play them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a quick photo, just to show you what the cards look like:

http://www.seoman-mondkalb.org/jpg/brettspiele/odin/cards.jp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you both, that is very helpful. I think I will order the German version. It looks like there will be no major obstacles and the text that is present will be fun for Rachel to puzzle out.

Another Christmas present sorted

Regards, chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Butler
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mondkalb123.
I've got the German version (and I don't speak German). It's really not big deal.
It's basically just the occupation cards that have text and as long as you print the English appendix, it's really easy to lookup a card that you don't understand since they are all numbered.

More importantly, the occupations sound a lot cooler in German! Last night I was the Jägermeister for example :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarryd Visser
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if the dutch version is also usable with the English appendix like the German version is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SmashedHat wrote:
Does anyone know if the dutch version is also usable with the English appendix like the German version is?

I can't see why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.