Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really like to see the ability to trade one Microbadge for another within the same category or game.

For instance, there are nearly a dozen "card player" badges that all link together, but I'm not really sure which one I want. I'd like to be able to buy one of them, and trade it for a different one later if I'm not satisfied, or it doesn't work with my other badges. If I get the Ace of Spades and then later decide I'd rather have the Ace of Hearts, I don't want to have to pay another 15 GG for it.

An even better example would be when there's a better version of a nearly identical badge. Take for instance Carcassonne. The original badge was the tile-back with the letter "C". But now there's a more recently designed version which I feel looks superior. Its sort of unfair to those users who bought the original one that they can't get a nicer looking one without paying for it. Its short-changing them because they were early to adopt.

I know there's a general consensus of being very certain before you choose your badges, but I don't really see any harm in trading one for another if they are all within the same badge name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first wanted Microbadges, i thought that you bought the "place holders" for badges and then could change them as many times as you want. So if you only paid 15 gg, you only had one spot but could display any MB that you wanted (similar to your avatar or Uberbadge). Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

I think the idea to trade within a category is good. But on the flip side, you have people who have purchased multiple badges of the same category so either way, someone is getting "punished" for making purchases.

It seems to me that the idea to sell back badges at discounted rates would be better. Instead of flat out deleting one you no longer want, you could get some GG back. But the refund would be reduced enough to make it unattractive to do this too often.

But unfortunately, i don't think either would be very practical, especially since designers get rewarded once 15 people buy their badge.

I support the cause but don't think it will go very far unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:
I think the idea to trade within a category is good. But on the flip side, you have people who have purchased multiple badges of the same category so either way, someone is getting "punished" for making purchases.

Maybe its just my impressions, but I don't think this would really be a problem. From what I've observed, people who buy multiple badges of the same kind usually do so either to have a bunch of different colors of the same thing (like the meeples or camels) or they buy it to make a pattern (like the evolution of geek or carcasonne roads).

In both of those cases, I don't see how they would feel cheated by my proposal. Really, they aren't losing anything, because there's no way they'd be able to accomplish what they're doing now by trading them in, as per my suggested change.

BrianMola wrote:
It seems to me that the idea to sell back badges at discounted rates would be better. Instead of flat out deleting one you no longer want, you could get some GG back. But the refund would be reduced enough to make it unattractive to do this too often.

Agreed. Personally, I like the idea of some sort of refund, but I'm not really interested in pushing that issue because I can see some resistance to it, some of which is quite valid.

Or perhaps you could take it in the other direction, and require a small GeekGold fee for upgrading. Perhaps something like 2 or 3 GG. That would keep people from switching back and forth all the time.

Really, all I want is the ability to change the particular icon I'm using to signify my support of whatever the geekbadge represents. If someone comes out with a great new Firefly badge in a month from now, I'd like to be able to change to that one and not feel like I simply have bad timing.

BrianMola wrote:
But unfortunately, i don't think either would be very practical, especially since designers get rewarded once 15 people buy their badge.

I hadn't thought of that. That's an excellent point. But I'm sure we can come up with an adequate solution to that. Perhaps there is tracking data in place now (the purchasing history would probably be enough) to show what has been purchased and how often.

The point being that designers can and should still get rewarded for their work, even if many people "upgrade" later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten ◄► Wesel
Germany
Pinneberg-Quellental
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Microbadge Upgrading / Selling to other users
What about selling your old microbadges for less then 15 to other users? Maybe in a auction?

Pro:
- You get rid of your old microbadges
- You recieve a small amount of for it and can add an other small amount to buy your new microbadge
- The system do not have to buy your microbadge back and the designer has sold the same amount of microbadges

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:

Really, all I want is the ability to change the particular icon I'm using to signify my support of whatever the geekbadge represents. If someone comes out with a great new Firefly badge in a month from now, I'd like to be able to change to that one and not feel like I simply have bad timing.

I am having this problem as we speak so I found this thread in wonders what to do. I was once told I could exchange the microbadges that I purchased for another one but I suppose that was a lie since it is not true. Sad. But I have one that I wanted to "upgrade" as you say. Instead I will just have to have both of them. I guess I have to be more careful on which I want to purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.