Hide
7 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: YATSL - new season is upon us! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ziemowit Pazderski
msg tools
For those who didn't yet hear about it - YATSL stands for Yet Another Twilight Struggle league, managed by Wojciech Pietrzak.
Currently nearing the end of its first season, with three leagues, promotion (and relegation!) system and with even some strong players facing a harder challenge than anticipated :-)

I am writing on Wojciech's behalf to officially inform the TS community that you can now sign up for the new season of YATSL, which will be played between 2017-01-01 and 2017-06-30.

You can find the rules here:
http://yatsl.zimna-wojna.pl/rules-2017a/

Since they are a little, tiny bit long, here's a short summary for the potential new players.

- We play 1 hour per player per game, with optional cards and a US+2 setup.

- The game engine of choice is Wargameroom, but you can play anywhere you like, as long as both players agree.

- Every league is a double round-robin, so currently (and maximally), with 12 players per league, that means 22 games per season (6 months)

- When you join the tournament, you start from the lowest league (currently there are three) and work your way up from there. Four best players from each league (except league A) win a promotion to the higher league. If there are free places in a higher league (as in when a player has withdrawn), a particularly strong newcomer can be offered a place in a higher league (AKA the "Riku clause" :-) )

- If you are not AREA-rated (not on the list linked below), in order to make sure that you are willing and able to schedule, play and report a game, you will be asked to play a so-called introduction game. It can be played against any experienced player, so basically every active (written in bold) player rated above 5000 from the rating list should be enough. Just post a message "looking for YATSL opponent" in a dedicated thread I have created on this forum, play the game, and report it to pietshaq@zimna-wojna.pl, according to the "Games and Setup" section of YATSL rules. The result of the introduction game doesn't matter! It serves only to introduce a new player to the world of online TS tournaments, to see if he/she is willing to compete on this level.

List of AREA-rated players: https://unitedfriendseu.wordpress.com/ts-area-ratings/

- If you are AREA-rated, in order to join YATSL just write an email to Wojciech (pietshaq@zimna-wojna.pl), including your name, AREA id and country of residence.

Lastly, to all newcomers - best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot access the rules here at work, since they're on another country's website (don't ask), but a quick question:

It says one hour per player per game, so I would assume that that means that the game would have to be played over the course of one day, right? What's the window allotted per game to play it out?

I work a lot and would love to get in on this, but don't want to disappoint by committing if it's too time demanding

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziemowit Pazderski
msg tools
1 hour per player per game means the allotted window is, well, 2 hours :-)
Don't start your adventure with online TS by applying to a somewhat time-demanding tournament - play some friendlies on Wargameroom or with Playdek first. Learn to manage within this time limit and only then, if you are feeling competitive, join a TS tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojciech Pietrzak
msg tools
It is time-demanding indeed. 22 games x 2 hours per game is 44 hours per 6 months, and this has to be arranged with the opponents.

Newcomers will mostly be assigned to lower leagues, they may contain less players and some of them may stop playing early and turn the league into a last-man-standing system but this is not to be relied upon. Maybe you're able to devote a whole weekend day once every month to look for the opponents and play 4-5 games during this day. This is still time-consuming but possible to handle by most busy people. Otherwise it's probably too active league for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ray donovan
msg tools
I would like to try but i only play on steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
mbmb
inimora wrote:
I would like to try but i only play on steam.

I played TS on wargameroom eons ago. Now I only play on Steam, but I´m entering YATSL this year (hopefully).

Wargameroom is not Steam in terms of graphics, but I would´t disregarded before trying, the most important thing is that rules are enforced like in Steam.

Also, if both you and your opponent agree to play on Steam, you can do that as long as you follow certain things. (That´s my understanding of the rules)

PD. I´m still looking for an AREA player to get the introductory game on. Anyone able please GM so we can set up the game.

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
There are less intensive tournaments out there if this sounds too much by the way- e.g. ETSL:

https://unitedfriendseu.wordpress.com/european-twilight-stru...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.