Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say it: Reiner Knizia is a versatile game designer.

He can shift from a game genre to another one easily, passing from heavy and deep games to light little games. In this case, he stepped right in the middle with a fantasy game that is easy to learn but quite deep to play. Plus, it contains that "collectible" flavour which is very attractive, being so limited yet so flexible.

Without going deep into the rules, the game is about various peoples which fight in the world of Blue Moon. There is a detailed background and a storyline in the game, just to add some theme. Each player takes one of the people's deck and fight to summon the three Blue Moon dragons by his side.

Game is played in turns and each player may play cards from his hand according to a brief set of rules. What's really engaging about Blue Moon is how the single decks are balanced and diversified. Each of them has its own distinctive traits and original mechanics. Thus, learning each deck's strenghts and weakness is the only way to fully understand and play Blue Moon. Of course, this requires lots and lots of games, making Blue Moon a perfect choice if you usually play againts the same person (even better, against you partner laugh).

The downside of this is that if you buy only the base game (which includes two complete decks, the Hoax and the Vulca) you'll soon run out of different strategies and variety. So, the best thing to do if you want to dig into the Blue Moon world is to buy the base game along with two other decks (i think the best pick for beginners is Aqua + Flit). Later, if you enjoy the game, you can add the other decks.

Personally, I bought all of the game's decks and I think they form a vast and complete board-game, one of the best two-player games around.

In addition, experienced players can also create their own decks following the deck building rules and even mix different peoples cards into a single deck: this adds even more replayability and deep to an already excellent game.

The only downsides I can think of are the cost of the entire game (of course, if you buy all of the decks you'll spend about 100 Euros or such...) and the size of the cards, which does not allow the use of card sleeves.

According to me, Blue Moon is a very cool and versatile game, which gets better at every game, expecially when you start to learn the composition of each deck. So, I rate it seven ninjas out of ten referring to the base game:
ninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjarobotrobotrobot

Which raises to nine out ot ten (ninjas, of course!) if you own several expansion decks and get "grabbed" by the game.
ninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjarobot

The bottom line: Blue Moon in a two player game to take into great consideration if you like card games and you are looking for a title able to keep you playing for a long, long time. Considered as a whole, will all of the decks, is a real masterpiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, but I'll quibble with your choices for beginner's decks. IMO, the Flit is the hardest (and therefore most frustrating) deck for beginners to play. So, I'd recommend any two of the Aqua, the Mimix or the Khind instead (with my personal preference being Aqua/Mimix).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guttedgeek
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty567 wrote:
Nice review, but I'll quibble with your choices for beginner's decks. IMO, the Flit is the hardest (and therefore most frustrating) deck for beginners to play.

As a beginner I found my first play with Flit very difficult but then again this set also illustrates quite clearly the depth on offer.

For me at least, playing Flit and realising that firepower isn't everything turned this game from a "oh, this is cool" to a "I MUST HAVE IT". Or to put it another way - if you can outwit (outflit?) with Flit, its extremely satisfying.

YMMV of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumont Claude
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty567 wrote:
IMO, the Flit is the hardest (and therefore most frustrating) deck for beginners to play. So, I'd recommend any two of the Aqua, the Mimix or the Khind instead.

I dont agree with your opinion about the difficuty playing the Flit. My first game with them I realized there power. On the contrary, I find that the Aqua are harder to play for a beginner. Each time I've played the Aqua, each time I suffered a severe beating. The mimix can be powerfull if the cards come up right. You must attack rapidly. A fun deck, that can be fustrating if you do not get a good string of cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I found the Aqua fairly straightforward to play well. It must be a case of different people's brains working differently - which just goes to show how well balanced this game is. A different "easiest deck" for everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Rusty567 wrote:
which just goes to show how well balanced this game is. A different "easiest deck" for everyone!

Definitely definitely agreed. One of my main Blue Moon opponents just isn't much of a match against me with any deck...other than the Pillar. The much maligned Pillar just mesh with his play style in a way that completly befuddles me. I'm no Blue Moon slouch, but I fear him with that deck.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty567 wrote:
Nice review, but I'll quibble with your choices for beginner's decks. IMO, the Flit is the hardest (and therefore most frustrating) deck for beginners to play. So, I'd recommend any two of the Aqua, the Mimix or the Khind instead (with my personal preference being Aqua/Mimix).

I've chosen The Flit because of their pair of distinctive abilities (the "Pair" power cards and a lot of cards with the "Retrieve" ability"). They immediately feel different from the other decks.

Different is better. laugh

Talking about "hard decks" I played with the Flit as my third deck after the two base deck and I found it quite easy to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumont Claude
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty567 wrote:
Interesting. I found the Aqua fairly straightforward to play well. It must be a case of different people's brains working differently - which just goes to show how well balanced this game is. A different "easiest deck" for everyone!

Your right, that's what make it fun. I have 8 blue moon decks that we are choosing randomly to learn how to play with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
my 2 cents to chip in...

I think the Flit are the hardest deck to play well (Buka aside). I just cannot win with them. And I agree the Aqua are the easiest of all.

Aqua Strategy: Play as many cards as you can every turn to hit as high a number as you can. This works because you end up shuffling your entire discard pile back into your draw pile, meaning the deck is twice the size of most. Hence hit as high numbers as possible as quick as possible using as many cards as possible (to draw more) to maximise the chances of a genuine forced retreat (as opposed to a tactical retreat), while never worrying about entering the end game with no power left in your hand or deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
Aqua Strategy: Play as many cards as you can every turn to hit as high a number as you can. This works because you end up shuffling your entire discard pile back into your draw pile, meaning the deck is twice the size of most. Hence hit as high numbers as possible as quick as possible using as many cards as possible (to draw more) to maximise the chances of a genuine forced retreat (as opposed to a tactical retreat), while never worrying about entering the end game with no power left in your hand or deck.

Just beware of forced discards: Sarogakanas the Ancient and Cardus Nikkus (and Fire Spirit). If they get lucky ...

And if you are playing constructed decks, especially with E&I, it gets a whole lot more complicated. Can I just say disclose. And How dare you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your impressions of the game. I've yet to play Blue Moon, but I'm just about won over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.