Warhammer: Invasion» Forums » General

Subject: Does Hidden kingdoms work with just Core set & Elf expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy T(ea)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi,

I have happily played just the Core Set and Elf expansion for years and I'm not interested in deck building

With the upcoming demise for all FFG/GW games I'm wondering if its worth me getting any of the other expansions whilst I still can

I like the idea of hidden kingdoms as I'm a bit fan of Lizardmen, Undead and Skaven

But would Hidden Kingdoms work straight out of the box?
Would it be playable against the decks from the base game (and elf expansion) or is it missing loads of cards and I'd need to get some boosters as well?

Cheers

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's missing a lot of cards. Hidden Kingdoms does not include a playable mix. The four neutral races got added fairly early in the game's life but required your deck to be one of the main six, with the neutral race splashed in.

Hidden Kingdom assumes you've been collecting the game, and includes the material that finally allows you to play a deck that is primarily one of those four races. (And includes a Legend for each, since those must match your capital.)

You can make it work for Undead and Lizardmen with just the big box releases (mostly March of the Damned), but for Wood Elves and Skaven you need a much longer buy list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I'm actually caffeinated now, and awake, I'll add: If you want to play Invasion for Skaven, your best option is to pick up a complete (or near complete) collection from someone else, rather than picking up the individual sets. You need the corruption cycle to make them work, which is incredibly hard to come by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy T(ea)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
fair enough

So to play lizards or undead Hidden Kingdoms and Legions of the Dammed will be enough?

I'll have a think about that

are there any expansions you would recommended getting whilst I can?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aktr wrote:
are there any expansions you would recommended getting whilst I can?

Legends and Cataclysm come to mind immediately. Cata's mostly for multiplayer. Legends are an interesting mechanic that got added to the game. If you want undead and lizards, then March of the Damned is going to be necessary.

Otherwise, nothing really comes to mind, except, you know, everything you can still get your hands on.

aktr wrote:
So to play lizards or undead Hidden Kingdoms and Legions of the Dammed will be enough?

Barely, but yes. Which is kinda a shame, because the neutral races were really interesting in their own right, and each had some really unique mechanics that made them stand out from the others. (Undead had heavy recursion (play from the discard pile), Skaven had self-corruption mechanics, Wood Elves specialized in ambushes (playing cards as developments, then flipping them face up at a later point), and the Lizardmen had damage retaliation.)

The problem is, they're flat out the single most expensive decks to build in the game now. Especially Skaven, because the corruption cycle was back from when FFG was still doing 40 card packs (where you need 3 copies of the pack for a complete playset).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.