Antonio J. Jaume Gelabert
Spain
Palma de Mallorca
Baleares (isla Mallorca)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey
One doubt
All players starts with 1 production of each resource, but if i choose a corporation for example Helion, i start with a 4 energy production or 3 energy production?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurtz wrote:
Hey
One doubt
All players starts with 1 production of each resource, but if i choose a corporation for example Helion, i start with a 4 energy production or 3 energy production?

Thanks

Correct (except that Helion starts with 4 Heat production, not energy), any production from your corporation card is in addition to the 1 you get anyway in the standard game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio J. Jaume Gelabert
Spain
Palma de Mallorca
Baleares (isla Mallorca)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB McMichael
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
Lurtz wrote:
Hey
One doubt

Thanks

Correct (except that Helion starts with 4 Heat production, not energy), any production from your corporation card is in addition to the 1 you get anyway in the standard game.

I thought if you were playing with corporations, you start with 0 for all resources, unless the corporation you are playing gives you a starting resource?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ursasmar wrote:
DaveD wrote:
Lurtz wrote:
Hey
One doubt

Thanks

I thought if you were playing with corporations, you start with 0 for all resources, unless the corporation you are playing gives you a starting resource?

If you are playing with the Corporate Era cards you start with 0 production, if you are playing the standard game (without Corporate Era cards) you start with 1. The non-beginner corporations can be used in either version and don't affect that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ursasmar wrote:

My understanding from the rules is starting production levels depend on if you are playing 'standard' vs. 'extended', with Corporate Era cards.

If you are playing with all of the Corporate Era cards, i.e. 'extended', all production is at zero to start, except for whatever your corporate card gives you.

If playing the 'standard' game--no corporate era cards--everyone still starts at 1 production.

Page 7 of the rule book describes 'standard' game set up, removing CE cards and starting with 1 of everything. Page 13 describes the change if playing 'extended' with Corporate Era Cards and zero resources.

Great game, looking forward to many more plays of it.

~Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a topic that should be stickied at the top of the rules threads! The number 1 thing people get wrong is only taking two actions per generation, but number 2 is questions about setup (standard game vs. CE, beginner corps vs. regular ones).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, if the Corporate Era option (added cards, zero default production) were called something else, like the "Expert" version of the game, it would avoid a lot of confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully the player aid rule summaries here on BGG clarify the setup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
spartax wrote:
This is a topic that should be stickied at the top of the rules threads! The number 1 thing people get wrong is only taking two actions per generation, but number 2 is questions about setup (standard game vs. CE, beginner corps vs. regular ones).

hahaha... I got the double whammy!

In my first solo game, I only took 1-2 actions per generation, and started at 0 production across the board (with beginner corp)

My next two solo games had me taking as many actions as I could take per generation (that's an error that's really easy to pick up on, once you see how much $$, heat, etc you have lying around at the end of every generation!) but still started at 0 production.

In all three games, I typically only fulfilled a third of all the terraforming goals/levels (i.e., I still had about 2/3 of the 02, oceans, and temp levels to fulfill!) - in one play I barely got halfway there...!

Maybe soon I'll actually play a game with the correct production too, ha!

Man, it's a true testament to this game that even in the face of these errors that I made, I'm really itching to play again - this game is FUN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
spartax wrote:

hahaha... I got the double whammy!

In my first solo game, I only took 1-2 actions per generation, and started at 0 production across the board (with beginner corp)

My next two solo games had me taking as many actions as I could take per generation (that's an error that's really easy to pick up on, once you see how much $$, heat, etc you have lying around at the end of every generation!) but still started at 0 production.

In all three games, I typically only fulfilled a third of all the terraforming goals/levels (i.e., I still had about 2/3 of the 02, oceans, and temp levels to fulfill!) - in one play I barely got halfway there...!

Maybe soon I'll actually play a game with the correct production too, ha!

Man, it's a true testament to this game that even in the face of these errors that I made, I'm really itching to play again - this game is FUN!

In your solo games (assuming you were using the corporate era cards as the rules specify), you were correct to start with 0 production regardless of whether or not you were using a beginner corporation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Really?!

Wow. I don't have the rules in front of me, but I'll need to give them another read soon. I don't recall the solo variant (I didn't play with the extra Corporate Era cards) saying anything about changes to production.

I actually found the rulebook to be pretty good, with the exception perhaps of the 0 production bit (I searched *everywhere* for that, and still don't know where it is, except that above someone mentions page 7).

Rules and rulebooks are so idiosyncratic that it's just impossible to make one that appeals to or works perfectly for everyone. But I still think this one is not bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Really?!

Wow. I don't have the rules in front of me, but I'll need to give them another read soon. I don't recall the solo variant (I didn't play with the extra Corporate Era cards) saying anything about changes to production.

I actually found the rulebook to be pretty good, with the exception perhaps of the 0 production bit (I searched *everywhere* for that, and still don't know where it is, except that above someone mentions page 7).

Rules and rulebooks are so idiosyncratic that it's just impossible to make one that appeals to or works perfectly for everyone. But I still think this one is not bad.

Page 7 gives the setup for the standard game, the significant section is section 4

Quote:

4) Players: Th player who most recently won a game of Terraforming Mars is given the fist player marker. Players choose their colors and take the corresponding player markers and a player board. You start with 1 production of each resource on the player board, so place player markers on the tracks (only in standard game.) Each player also places one marker at the starting position (20) of the TR track.

The corporate era variant is described on page 13.

Quote:
To play the extended game, simply add all cards marked with a red and white icon on the cards’ lower left border at the start of setup, including 2 new corporations. Players start with no extra production of resources (see Setup - Players on page 7). Corporate Era can be combined with any of the other game variants.

The official solo variant requires use of Corporate Era, so you receive no extra production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
OK, thanks a bunch much appreciated.

And I promise this will be my last thread hijack... But isn't the Corporate Era slower? So that given that I played the standard game and finished so poorly... I would only have done that much worse with the Corp Era game over the same 14 generations...?

Dang. I need to hit up the strategy forum, and maybe start a new thread for "slow players" such as myself...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
spartax wrote:
Agree. I've read both the rules AND this thread and am still confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
But isn't the Corporate Era slower? So that given that I played the standard game and finished so poorly... I would only have done that much worse with the Corp Era game over the same 14 generations...?

The Corporate Era cards are more about engine-building than terraforming directly. Starting with 0 production, of course you'll start slower - however, the CE cards let you build ridiculous engines. I've never played solo without CE cards, but I'd guess it's a bit harder to win without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
spartax wrote:

There are two choices to make: standard or CE game, and beginner or standard corporation. These choices are completely independent - though I don't recommend playing a beginner corps with CE variant.

You either choose standard game or CE game. In standard game, all production starts at 1; in CE game all production starts at 0 and you shuffle in the CE cards.

Then there is the choice for each player to use a beginner corporation or a standard corp. If you use a standard corp, you add their production and/or resources to your board (stacking with the 1 production you already have if you're playing the standard game) and buy some cards from your 10 starting cards at 3 ME/card. If you use a beginner corp, you take 42 ME and get all 10 cards free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
spartax wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
spartax wrote:

There are two choices to make: standard or CE game, and beginner or standard corporation. These choices are completely independent - though I don't recommend playing a beginner corps with CE variant.

You either choose standard game or CE game. In standard game, all production starts at 1; in CE game all production starts at 0 and you shuffle in the CE cards.

Then there is the choice for each player to use a beginner corporation or a standard corp. If you use a standard corp, you add their production and/or resources to your board (stacking with the 1 production you already have if you're playing the standard game) and buy some cards from your 10 starting cards at 3 ME/card. If you use a beginner corp, you take 42 ME and get all 10 cards free.
That is clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
clydeiii wrote:
spartax wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
spartax wrote:

That is clear.

...Now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.