Recommend
28 
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming Articles

Subject: The 13 Worst Types of Tabletop Gamer and How To Deal With Them rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy H
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all probably know one or two of these (and if we're really honest there's probably a tiny bit of each of them in us too) ;)

Anyway, new article. Read, enjoy and share if you like it!

https://www.tabletoptribe.com/the-13-worst-types-of-tabletop...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
Right. Time to eradicate all the tiny bits of board flipper.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy H
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theldyrn wrote:
Right. Time to eradicate all the tiny bits of board flipper.


Good luck with that! :)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Social Media Junkie...

They seem genuinely surprised, confused and a little dazed when they’re dragged back to the real world to take their turn


This made me chuckle... are either of the worlds real? surprise

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For me there's also Lord Chaos. He isn't interested in winning, and in fact may not even know how to win. It's possible he barely paid attention to the rules. He's just looking to "have fun", and for him that involves being as big a pain in the ass as possible. His moves are more or less random, though sometimes he just picks whatever will annoy someone the most. And if he can find some weirdo edge case that makes so little sense it's not covered in the rules? That's like a pot of rainbow gold for him, and he'll insist you all stop and research it even though it's a pointless move. Sometimes, to put a cherry on top, after the game has mercifully ended, he'll then complain that it's just not very interesting and possibly broken.
25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy H
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
For me there's also Lord Chaos. He isn't interested in winning, and in fact may not even know how to win. It's possible he barely paid attention to the rules. He's just looking to "have fun", and for him that involves being as big a pain in the ass as possible. His moves are more or less random, though sometimes he just picks whatever will annoy someone the most. And if he can find some weirdo edge case that makes so little sense it's not covered in the rules? That's like a pot of rainbow gold for him, and he'll insist you all stop and research it even though it's a pointless move. Sometimes, to put a cherry on top, after the game has mercifully ended, he'll then complain that it's just not very interesting and possibly broken.


Heh heh - I'm sure there are enough I didn't include for a whole new list but I had to call it quits at some point. I also left off the Junk Food Addict with their Cheeto-encrusted fingers.... ;)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy H
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pedro_ak wrote:
Quote:
The Social Media Junkie...

They seem genuinely surprised, confused and a little dazed when they’re dragged back to the real world to take their turn


This made me chuckle... are either of the worlds real? :surprise:



Indeed... the analogue world might have been more accurate ;)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And it lost all credibility when it suggested a way to deal with a type of gamer is to cheat, basically a piece written by one of the worst types it talks about.

Yes I know (well I think) it is meant as humorous, but even so. Cheating is never ever OK for any dam reason, and especially not to "TEACH SOME LOW LIFE A LESSON FOR SPOILING MY EVENING, DOES HE NOT KNOW WHO i AM?".
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy H
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
And it lost all credibility when it suggested a way to deal with a type of gamer is to cheat, basically a piece written by one of the worst types it talks about.

Yes I know (well I think) it is meant as humorous, but even so. Cheating is never ever OK for any dam reason, and especially not to "TEACH SOME LOW LIFE A LESSON FOR SPOILING MY EVENING, DOES HE NOT KNOW WHO i AM?".


Hmmm... it also mentioned letting Wookies win, goading people into completely losing it, mob justice, collaborating to gloat, making up rules according to a vote, excluding people halfway through a game, making up rules "in an anarchic free-for-all", not to mention divorce.

It's not "meant as humorous", it IS humorous. Lighten up.

Still, on a brighter note, thanks for some inspiration for the next article!
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
guyblin wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
And it lost all credibility when it suggested a way to deal with a type of gamer is to cheat, basically a piece written by one of the worst types it talks about.

Yes I know (well I think) it is meant as humorous, but even so. Cheating is never ever OK for any dam reason, and especially not to "TEACH SOME LOW LIFE A LESSON FOR SPOILING MY EVENING, DOES HE NOT KNOW WHO i AM?".


Hmmm... it also mentioned letting Wookies win, goading people into completely losing it, mob justice, collaborating to gloat, making up rules according to a vote, excluding people halfway through a game, making up rules "in an anarchic free-for-all", not to mention divorce.

It's not "meant as humorous", it IS humorous. Lighten up.

Still, on a brighter note, thanks for some inspiration for the next article!
That's OK, at least you know what humorous is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would broaden the scope of "11. The Other Half" to "The Reluctant Gamer" since it may not always be someone's other half partner but a friend of the group.

They're only there because they're in your social group and playing games. We have someone like that in our group. Usually this person would get bored halfway through the gaming session and then goes off to play hostess and gets food for the rest of us, which we don't mind at all!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
The Helper

The Helper is extremely helpful and will let everyone else know how helpful they are. They will use the power of suggestion to gently guide the other players into greater enjoyment of the game, which also happens to correspond with the Helper winning. They are much more passive aggressive than the Alpha Player and harder to counteract.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cormier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
The Helper

The Helper is extremely helpful and will let everyone else know how helpful they are. They will use the power of suggestion to gently guide the other players into greater enjoyment of the game, which also happens to correspond with the Helper winning. They are much more passive aggressive than the Alpha Player and harder to counteract.


I thought this was just the traitor mechanic in Dead of Winter?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Legomancer wrote:
For me there's also Lord Chaos. He isn't interested in winning, and in fact may not even know how to win. It's possible he barely paid attention to the rules. He's just looking to "have fun", and for him that involves being as big a pain in the ass as possible. His moves are more or less random, though sometimes he just picks whatever will annoy someone the most. And if he can find some weirdo edge case that makes so little sense it's not covered in the rules? That's like a pot of rainbow gold for him, and he'll insist you all stop and research it even though it's a pointless move. Sometimes, to put a cherry on top, after the game has mercifully ended, he'll then complain that it's just not very interesting and possibly broken.


We should never play a game together.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I'm the sulker. Trying to get better.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Power gamer here. Not even embarrassed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy H
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vidra wrote:
Power gamer here. Not even embarrassed.


I respect that sir, although my late dad was also unembarrassed and unashamed of doing headstands during his morning exercise routine. In a nightshirt. ;)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

The Quitter

30 or 60 minutes in to a 2-hour game. Oh, dang, I've got another thing happening. I have to go.

The "F You in Particular" Guy


(Similar to Lord Chaos). In a game that depends on players attacking each other and providing balance, this player decides his goal in life is to destroy one player in particular.

The Monday-Morning Quarterback


(This is me) This player dissects and discusses the completed game ad nauseum. He could have won if only he had made that one play correctly!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That was great! The photos were perfect.

I have to admit I become the Sulker on occasion. Especially when playing with the Other Half. She actually enjoys games...mostly. I had to laugh in agreement with " ...“thank goodness that’s over” as they annoyingly win.".

Good stuff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Niquilibrium wrote:
adam wilson wrote:
The Helper

The Helper is extremely helpful and will let everyone else know how helpful they are. They will use the power of suggestion to gently guide the other players into greater enjoyment of the game, which also happens to correspond with the Helper winning. They are much more passive aggressive than the Alpha Player and harder to counteract.


I have a friend that this fits to a tee. He is always "helping" and manipulating and as soon as he gets a chance he will stab you in the back and take the win. I really don't play with him a lot, lol.


I my experience Alpha Players tend to be men and Helpers tend to be female but there are always exceptions. You can't really prove a Helper is doing anything to manipulate the other players. Alpha Players stand out like a sore thumb.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
Legomancer wrote:
For me there's also Lord Chaos. He isn't interested in winning, and in fact may not even know how to win. It's possible he barely paid attention to the rules. He's just looking to "have fun", and for him that involves being as big a pain in the ass as possible. His moves are more or less random, though sometimes he just picks whatever will annoy someone the most. And if he can find some weirdo edge case that makes so little sense it's not covered in the rules? That's like a pot of rainbow gold for him, and he'll insist you all stop and research it even though it's a pointless move. Sometimes, to put a cherry on top, after the game has mercifully ended, he'll then complain that it's just not very interesting and possibly broken.


We should never play a game together.


Appreciate the warning.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
For me there's also Lord Chaos. He isn't interested in winning, and in fact may not even know how to win. It's possible he barely paid attention to the rules. He's just looking to "have fun", and for him that involves being as big a pain in the ass as possible. His moves are more or less random, though sometimes he just picks whatever will annoy someone the most. And if he can find some weirdo edge case that makes so little sense it's not covered in the rules? That's like a pot of rainbow gold for him, and he'll insist you all stop and research it even though it's a pointless move. Sometimes, to put a cherry on top, after the game has mercifully ended, he'll then complain that it's just not very interesting and possibly broken.


Wow I definitely know a few of these. And to the surprise of absolutely no one, they usually aren't the most accommodating people in real life either. Never interested in anyone else having a good time, just themselves. shake

To be slightly more specific:

-If they do somehow manage to win, it's a perfect game. Multiplayer chess. They totally outsmarted all the other players with shear cunning and perfect diplomacy. No randomness, and if there is randomness "it all balances out in the end". Everything is perfectly balanced.

-If they lose, well, hey it's an experience game. It's tactical, not strategic. Lots of random factors. No strategy. Definitely imbalanced. Possibly broken. Everyone ganged up on them. Diplomacy was impossible. Will possibly play again if they were able to make another person miserable and got a kick out of it, otherwise never again.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nepotist.

Often, but not always, a doting wife, girlfriend, or mom who's not so much interested in the game. She is, however, very interested in making sure her husband, BF, or child who IS interested in the game wins said game.

These enablers offer all their resources, strategies, and lack of resistance as a doe-eyed sacrifice to the cardboard altar of their significant other. Everybody gets and resents these unholy nepotistic tributes.

Also known as "my sisters," and yes it feels good to call them out.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mozilla wrote:
The Nepotist.

Often, but not always, a doting wife, girlfriend, or mom who's not so much interested in the game. She is, however, very interested in making sure her husband, BF, or child who IS interested in the game wins said game.

These enablers offer all their resources, strategies, and lack of resistance as a doe-eyed sacrifice to the cardboard altar of their significant other. Everybody gets and resents these unholy nepotistic tributes.

Also known as "my sisters," and yes it feels good to call them out.


Oh yeah. This is why it is dangerous to play with either a married couple or a parent-child pair.

Best thing to play with a married couple is a card game with teams. That way their teamwork is out in the open.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Thwaites
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:
mozilla wrote:
The Nepotist.

Often, but not always, a doting wife, girlfriend, or mom who's not so much interested in the game. She is, however, very interested in making sure her husband, BF, or child who IS interested in the game wins said game.

These enablers offer all their resources, strategies, and lack of resistance as a doe-eyed sacrifice to the cardboard altar of their significant other. Everybody gets and resents these unholy nepotistic tributes.

Also known as "my sisters," and yes it feels good to call them out.


Oh yeah. This is why it is dangerous to play with either a married couple or a parent-child pair.

Best thing to play with a married couple is a card game with teams. That way their teamwork is out in the open.


For some couples, definitely. My wife on the other hand (while we were still dating) instituted among our friends the "everybody kill (me)" rule because I had a tendency to win more than others. Amazing I still married her, since I've rarely won a game in the 11 years since.

So I would propose the Inciter, someone who enjoys playing, but does not win very often. To increase their own chance of winning, they incite everyone else to work against the player they perceive to be the strongest.

Dealing with them: Re-direct their attention onto other players. Caution, this may turn them into a Lord of Chaos.

Nemesis: The Lord of Chaos. Chaos can not be influenced. Chaos just is.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.