$35.00
Carly- BoardGeekGirl
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have quite a large board game collection (although it’s still quite modest compared to some people on here!) and sometimes it can be a little overwhelming trying to choose from all those wonderful games! I searched for an online tool or app that would help us select games and although I did find a couple of options, they didn’t quite fit what I was wanting... So as my boyfriend is a Web Developer and I'm a Designer of sorts, we decided to create our own website, which we named Board Game Caddie...

We basically built the tool for our own personal use but thought it might be handy for others too, it’s completely free to use and always will be! All you need to use the Board Game Caddie tool is an internet connection and your collection setup on Board Game Geek. The site is fully responsive so you can easily use it on your mobile phone or tablet too.

Once you have used your BGG username to log in, you can then filter your collection by the number of players, play time and much more. And if you still can’t decide? Just hit the "Roll the dice" button and the Caddie will select a game at random for you.

If you have your collection on BGG and feel like giving it a go we would love any feedback you may have! And if you use the tool and enjoy it please help spread the word to other Board Game Geeks you know

Here’s the link: http://www.boardgamecaddie.com

*** UPDATE - JANUARY 2017 ***

Today we have a new update over on Board Game Caddie and it’s a pretty big one!

First of all we have some new and improved filters:
You can now filter your collection by mechanics and categories
We have added min & max playing time filters
You can now set the rating to ‘unrated’ to allow easy filtering of unplayed games
We have added a checkbox to hide any games set to ‘for trade’ on BGG
You can now set player count to filter by ‘Best’, ‘Recommended’ and ‘Not Recommended’

New & improved filters

The second part of the update is, we hope, a huge improvement on speed and re-usability! We’ve mentioned previously that the speed at which BGCaddie can retrieve a collection is down to the API from BGG and while this is still true, we have developed a couple of workarounds for this issue!

Now the first time you use BGCaddie it is still going to take a minute or two especially for large collections. But once retrieved, BGCaddie will now store a cached copy of your collection meaning the next time you log in, your collection will be instantly available. BGCaddie will then work in the background to retrieve your most up to date collection from BGG and allow you to refresh your collection should you wish!

New 'cache' system

As there has been some confusion in the past I would like to make it clear that this new system does not use cookies, nor does it ask for or store any private information! BGCaddie simply stores your already public collection.

I would also like to say a massive thank you to everyone who has shared this project and given us such great feedback, please keep it coming and we will continue to make Board Game Caddie your go to Game Selection Tool Our next update will hopefully include, amongst other things, multiple usernames to allow game groups to combine their collections so be sure to subscribe to this thread if you want to be kept up to date on future updates!

*** SCREENSHOTS ***

Please note these screenshots are now slightly out of date as we have added extra features as mentioned above!

Board Game Caddie Home Page

Board Game Caddie 'Roll the Dice' Feature

Board Game Caddie on Mobile Browser

• [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Board Game Caddie - New online tool for selecting games to play from your collection
It looks nice. You might consider adding functionality to the number of players dropdown. Specifically, it would be cool to get a list of games that maxes out at a specific number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Guilfoyle
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Board Game Caddie - New online tool for selecting games to play from your collection
I am unable to load my collection because the underscore in my username gets removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ga_doughboy wrote:
I am unable to load my collection because the underscore in my username gets removed.

Same issue for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Rennis
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
would be cool to somehow integrate the bgg "best with # of players" ratings to suggest things from your collection based on how many you've got in your group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carly- BoardGeekGirl
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ol_bubba wrote:
ga_doughboy wrote:

Same issue for me.

Thank you both for bringing this issue to our attention, we'll look at the bug and get it fixed as soon as we can!

And thanks for the suggestions for improvements, we'll take it all on board and see what we can do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer (BGG Blog) TheBrewingGamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super useful. I've Quick-bar'ed it!

It would be great to have a choice to filter by category (aka. theme) or mechanic (ie. worker placement, roll-and-move, etc.).

Thanks for your efforts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carly- BoardGeekGirl
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crsargeant23 wrote:
ol_bubba wrote:
ga_doughboy wrote:

Same issue for me.

Thank you both for bringing this issue to our attention, we'll look at the bug and get it fixed as soon as we can!

And thanks for the suggestions for improvements, we'll take it all on board and see what we can do

The underscore issue has now been resolved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
...and I'm back in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't seem to be working for me. I've tried at least half a dozen times on two different browsers and double- and triple-checked my spelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carly- BoardGeekGirl
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zepheus wrote:
It doesn't seem to be working for me. I've tried at least half a dozen times on two different browsers and double- and triple-checked my spelling.

We're not sure what the problem was but we've rebuilt the code, tested your username and it seems to have fixed the issue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lim Lex

Portland
Oregon
msg tools
mbmb
I really like your app, however, can I kindly suggest that instead of 1 random game, can it be alter to like between 1-5 random games be shown up? if too troublesome, maybe can fixed it at 3 random games and etc. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing. It seems to me the key sort features would be:
1) Number of Players
2) Game Length
3) Complexity

Then sort the list by Personal rating.

UPDATE: OK, I checked it out. Awesome! It does filter by 1 and 2, and has multiple sort options (including Personal rating). So only #3 is not implement.

LOG-IN PROBLEMS HINT: At first, I got an error message trying to log in. Then I realized I was logged in to BGG in another tab of the browser. As soon as I closed that, it worked great. [EDIT: Below, the programmer says this was coincidence, and time outs are random.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be useful if you could add the ability to pull from a number of different usernames.

When a friend and I and our wives get together, we pick from our two collections as to what to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carly- BoardGeekGirl
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omertron wrote:
It would be useful if you could add the ability to pull from a number of different usernames.

When a friend and I and our wives get together, we pick from our two collections as to what to play.

Thank you for the feedback! This is definitely on top of our to-do list, it's just a little more involved on the code side, so we decided to add more advanced features at a later date so we could at least use the site in the meantime
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carly- BoardGeekGirl
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
Thanks for sharing. It seems to me the key sort features would be:
1) Number of Players
2) Game Length
3) Complexity

Then sort the list by Personal rating.

UPDATE: OK, I checked it out. Awesome! It does filter by 1 and 2, and has multiple sort options (including Personal rating). So only #3 is not implement.

LOG-IN PROBLEMS HINT: At first, I got an error message trying to log in. Then I realized I was logged in to BGG in another tab of the browser. As soon as I closed that, it worked great.

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad you liked it we will be looking to add a number of advanced filters to it in the near future so we'll take Complexity into account!

Being logged into BGG on another browser won't cause any issues with logging in to Board Game Caddie (as a BGG addict I am constantly logged in!), the issues with login failing the first time are unfortunately out of our hands as it is down to the connection with BGG timing out for some reason. It usually only does it on the first attempt but if we can find a way to fix this issue then we will!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmet U
Turkey
Ankara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for sharing this. But what does this website do that Gameshelf does not? I am asking because you said the alternatives didn't fit what you wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
In another time, forgotten space...
badge
Roll away, the dew...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting the "Alpha Gamer" error message when I enter my username.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! Nicely done, and thanks for sharing it with us!

I second the vote for being able to select/filter/sort on mechanics.

You said you will keep it free... are you going to be ad-supported? I want to know if I should disable my various blockers on your site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would also be really cool -- although probably pretty complicated -- to have the presence of certain expansions in a collection modify the player count of the base game, without needing to display all expansions. For example, 7 wonders: Cities enables 8 players with 7 wonders. Kingdom Builder: Nomads adds a 5 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carly- BoardGeekGirl
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigmac33070 wrote:
I'm getting the "Alpha Gamer" error message when I enter my username.

Sorry you are having trouble! I've tested your username and managed to get it to work, although it did take a few tries to load it. I think this is probably down to you having such an enviously large collection
We're going to try something new to fix the 'timing out' issue so it loads the first time everytime and will post an update if we make any headway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carly- BoardGeekGirl
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrorvision wrote:
Thank you for sharing this. But what does this website do that Gameshelf does not? I am asking because you said the alternatives didn't fit what you wanted.

I actually didn't find Gameshelf until after we had started developing our own site somehow! We considered whether to continue with ours or just use Gameshelf but I found it still wasn't quite what I wanted and as we were making our own site primarily for our own use, we decided to continue so we could build it to our exact needs.

The differences between our site and Gameshelf probably just comes down to personal preference... I really wanted a randomiser tool and to see more of the game information in one place, including the game image. And seeing personal rankings rather than BGG rankings was important to me.

Our site is still quite new and basic compared to what we have planned for it. We're just working out a few kinks and gathering some feedback before we start adding the more advanced features
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carly- BoardGeekGirl
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
Very cool! Nicely done, and thanks for sharing it with us!

I second the vote for being able to select/filter/sort on mechanics.

You said you will keep it free... are you going to be ad-supported? I want to know if I should disable my various blockers on your site.

Thank you for the feedback, I'm glad you like it

We have no immediate plans to advertise on the site so it will be ad free for the foreseeable future!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carly- BoardGeekGirl
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
It would also be really cool -- although probably pretty complicated -- to have the presence of certain expansions in a collection modify the player count of the base game, without needing to display all expansions. For example, 7 wonders: Cities enables 8 players with 7 wonders. Kingdom Builder: Nomads adds a 5 player.

I have been informed that while pretty complex this may not be impossible so we will bear it in mind for future updates! Thanks for the feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carly- BoardGeekGirl
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New update added to the original post:

*** UPDATE *** So we’ve made some improvements to the log in… The issue we have is that when a username is entered, BGCaddie requests the information from BGG, and BGG can take a while to come back with the information, often causing an error on BGCaddie when you first tried to log in. We have now adjusted they system on our side, so BGCaddie is now more patient for want of a better word! BGCaddie gives BGG longer to come back with the information, so you should be able to retrieve your collection on the first log in! It can take a minute or two to retrieve quite large collections, but once the collection has been retrieved the first time, it’s much quicker to retrieve the second time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Looks neat. I may use it.

One thing that I believe would be great to have would be the following.
Let's say that I roll the dice for 2-player games which last 30min top. I get codenames. I could maybe tell the system "no cooperative game please", even though I did not add this filter at first. Or "No game that play 6+ please". Basically, a way to tell the system to re-roll but at the same time filter out some type of game which I don't really want to play at this time.

Filling many filter boxes beforehand would be bothersome I guess, so having the system propose filters automatically like I described would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.