Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenvious
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Working on my playmat for this game and I just realized something.... why is it recomended the homeworlds be 5" away from the table edge?

At first I (like I believe many others) assumed this was to allow you to backtrack slightly to create a protected area behind your homeworld. However, on measuring things, I discovered even a system connected with a 2" lane cannot fit in there (aka a system plus a 2-length Lane is about 6" long, not 5").

As such, should the measurements be 6" from the table edge? Because, if not, should you assume there is no space behind your homeworld to explore? If it is the latter, that does make some sense as you are forced to then explore TOWARDS your rivals.

Feedback please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's so you move towards everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also want to point out that the setup is just the recommended setup. After you have some experience with the game, your group might find that you'd like to modify the play area by making it smaller or larger, or placing the homeworlds closer or farther from each other. These changes will impact the pacing of the game as well as the aggression level, which might suit your group's playstyle better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Even though you can't explore completely the opposite direction, it still widens the angle so you can move away from the other players to some extent. Though why the exact figure of 5" is a fair question, I don't really know why they settled on that figure. For me a figure of 0, 5 or 6 is more than outweighed by the shape of the area you're playing on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo It will be interesting to see if this recommendation and the general set up changes with more players, when some expansions are out. After playing a number of games with the standard set up, I'm ready to start experimenting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveSumm wrote:
Even though you can't explore completely the opposite direction, it still widens the angle so you can move away from the other players to some extent. Though why the exact figure of 5" is a fair question, I don't really know why they settled on that figure. For me a figure of 0, 5 or 6 is more than outweighed by the shape of the area you're playing on.

Dave said exactly what I was going to. Any space behind you allows you to angle away from your rivals at first. But the space of the play area (square, triangle, circle, etc) makes a much bigger difference. Personally, I will always play on a circle if at all possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For the games that the GF9 team setup at Gen Con, the starting positions were more like 3"-4" from the edge. Also, a four-faction game was played on a large rectangular area, which seemed to work well. See below image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimensions?

This is what I have in mind, since my table, like most others, is a rectangle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I never measured the mat they used. Those are two standard plastic 6' banquet tables pushed against each other, under the table cloth, if that helps. (Aren't they 30" wide)? (That also explains the crease in the playmat as the two tables weren't level).

Anyway, my game arrives today and I'm planning on using a 3'x4' starfield gaming mat I have. I think a 3'x4' mat would be perfect for a rectangular table. Perhaps too big for a three-faction game? If so, then simply border-off a portion of the mat, form one of the ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoted by GF9 in the old GecCon thread:

The mats we used for our events were 48" x 60".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

chas59 wrote:
Quoted by GF9 in the old GecCon thread:

The mats we used for our events were 48" x 60".

I would assume the 48" dimension includes the players' areas. I.e., the actual play area looks to be 36" wide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can fit a system connected via a 2 or 3 length space lane in the diagonal corner of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is 36 by 36 the ideal space? Really hope so as I have a nice play mat for X-Wing I could use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, my FLGS just received the official GF9 playmat today. It's nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
Is 36 by 36 the ideal space? Really hope so as I have a nice play mat for X-Wing I could use.

Ya just use that. For more players, you might want to break out 2 of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.