Subject: 2 player impressions, good but might need a little tweak rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So far I have played Oceanos three times with two players. I do know that it might not be the most favorable number but I thought someone might be interested.

It might not be the "deepest" game but I really like it. Its a good mechanic bundled with a nice looking theme. I think the production is superb and you really get a lot of card board. The rules are simple and you should be able to play it really quick even with kids. The included submarine "puzzles" also bring extra credit to the younger audience.

For 2 players though I feel that there is a little dominant strategy:
If you buy the periscope as your first upgrade you can influence the other player. That will allow you to tip the scale in your favor. Ok, so you think that the other player just but the periscope as well! But to me that takes away a little of the fun if there is optimal first buy.
There is still a lot of luck in the game but that if you turn real unlucky so sit through a lot of the game with the opponent dictating 50% of your options.

How to remedy this?
Maybe a house rule that you both start with an upgraded periscope.

Note that I haven't played this with more players, so I can't really tell if it's different with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The downside of the extra card to influence the other player is that you play one card and then have 2 left over. You can discard one and then give the other to your opponent. That can be a hindrance when both the cards you don't play will greatly help your opponent, and you have to give them one. If you only have 1 periscope you always have the option of tossing the one extra card and not giving your opponent any good cards. So there are pluses and minuses to having the extra cards. The main benefit in my opinion is having a better chance of getting a card you really need. Three to look at is always better than 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I actually agree with you, the main benefit is having 3 instead of two. But I think that the second thing with the possibility to influence the other player hand is quite strong as well. During these three games there has been a number of situations where the player with upgraded periscope just passes two "unfitting" cards to the other player. I think especially the base symbol is one of the symbols that you want to keep from your opponent (unless he/she has no crystals)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
Our problem was not seeing enough cards. We are going to add another turn to each round. So 6 instead of 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathy Eddy
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played Oceanos for the first time --- with 2 players. We might be missing something, but it seemed like very few cards came into play. We missed that the "end of round player aid" had a base that could be used for upgrades, so we didn't have periscope upgrades. It seems that this only works for 2 if both players upgrade their periscopes immediately after round 1. Am I missing something? So wanted to like this game, but was disappointed. All our games have to play well with just 2.

OK -- just read the rules file (had only seen video before), and we weren't playing it right. Definitely gonna give this another chance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
Our problem was not seeing enough cards. We are going to add another turn to each round. So 6 instead of 5.

I haven't been bothered by this, almost the opposite actually, as you will find the fuel tank more valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
glenloch wrote:
We just played Oceanos for the first time --- with 2 players. We might be missing something, but it seemed like very few cards came into play. We missed that the "end of round player aid" had a base that could be used for upgrades, so we didn't have periscope upgrades. It seems that this only works for 2 if both players upgrade their periscopes immediately after round 1. Am I missing something? So wanted to like this game, but was disappointed. All our games have to play well with just 2.

OK -- just read the rules file (had only seen video before), and we weren't playing it right. Definitely gonna give this another chance!

I think it is a good game, although it's even better with 3+ players. Then the captain mechanics gives you some funny options. It's certainly playable on 2 but I do think there are a lot of other games that plays better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.