5 Posts

Deep Future» Forums » Rules

Subject: Please Clarify the Rules Regarding Game Setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Patts
msg tools
mbmbmb
I really want to play this, but I can't work out how to set the game up! The rules are not clear on how to set up the game in the first place; so far I have :

* made 36 blank cards (numbered 1-6 in the six different suits)
* taken 12 of these cards at random and written that they are "Worlds" in "Era 0"
* Given each world a sector at random and written that on the cards.

Now I'm supposed to give each world a "starting advancement" - how? I see "Table 1 - Action Summaries" do I select something from there at random? Is the advancement based on the suit of the world itself?

From there (assuming I am right about referring to this table) can I pick one of the sub-sections at random?

For example, say I have a world that is "4 Hand"; what I think I need to do is write "BATTLE" on the card ('cos that's what Table 1 shows next to the Hand icon) and then select one of the sub-sections from the relevant list... say "Defence", and write that on there...

Am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Informally, Smizmazmarlemagne II
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to be looking at Table 5 which lists the advancements. Table 1 is simply the list of actions you can take on your turn. The suit symbol there just refers to the suit you need to discard from your hand when playing.

The key line that would help you is from the first page of the rules explaining how to generate random numbers and suits:

Deep Future Rules wrote:
Periodically the rules will require the player to
generate a random number or suit. To do this, the top
card in the deck should be discarded and the number
or suit in the corner noted and applied.

So, to generate a random advancement you need a random suit and a random number. To get the random suit, discard the top card of the deck, note its suit (for instance, if the card is the 2 of Suns, you note Sun as the suit generated). To get the random number, discard another card from the top of the deck, note its number (for instance, the card is 4 of Hands, so you generated the number 4). Now, since you are generating an advancement, you reference Table 5 (Advancement table) using the suit and number generated as the index into the table. With the examples of a Sun and a 4, we look up the row with a 4 under column # and a Sun under column S (Suit), which means we generated the "Weapons" advancement. In your case you have a world card that needs its starting advancement, so you would draw the Sun symbol on the first line of its advancements and write "Weapons - BATTLE - increase Might by 1" next to it.

I don't think the order in which you generate suit / number matters too much initially since you cant pick them -- but for a practical purpose I always do suit then number because I like generating a suit, drawing the symbol on the card, and then generating the number to find which specific advancement I got. Later, you can pick ("circle") an advancement, in which case you will only generate the suit anyway.

One other thing to note is that the suit and number of the card (the ones in the corners) are generally only used in generating, matching challenges, or taking actions, and the suit/number of the card have no bearing on its internal contents (e.g., how it acts as a world or tech). So the fact that a card is the 4 of Hands (in its corner) has no effect on the body of the card itself, such as what kind of advancements you can and do put on it.

I hope that helps, but I am happy to explain anything else that is unclear. This was a good question and I think calling out the random generation process under its own header would be a good addition to the next version of the rules.

(edited for clarity)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Patts
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, thanks for your reply, that clears things up a lot!

Talking of advancements, I created a Tech card using the method you described (generate a suit, then a number) which was 3 SUN -

I wrote the following on the new tech card -

"SUN - Communications - EXPAND - Increase M by 1"

Now, if I wanted to use this tech what would I do:

1: Would I have to discard a SUN card to allow me to perform an EXPAND action (as well as increasing the Might track)?

2: Or do I wait until I perfrom a normal EXPAND action (by playing a FOOT card) and then have to play a SUN in addition to this?

3: Can I perform this action whenever I play a SUN card (so the effects of this card are applied, as well as the usual drawing of two new cards)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Informally, Smizmazmarlemagne II
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually none. Advancements enhance the action or phase they are associated with, while their associated suit is used to determine the upkeep requirements (if on a tech). So for Communications, which is "SUN - Communications - EXPAND - Increase Might by 1", you can trigger it whenever you take an EXPAND action, or for Economy which is "HAND - Economy - START - reduce a track by 1; draw 2 cards", it is triggered during the Start phase of your turn.

One way to view the suit of an advancement is as its "theme" and the associated action as the context in which the advancement is used. So for Weapons and Communications you can think of them as needing the "Sun" resource to be maintained, while Weapons is actually used during BATTLE actions, whereas Communications is used during EXPAND actions.

To be more specific, suppose you have an incomplete tech in your tableau with Communications and two unfinished, open advancement slots (which do not matter yet).

That means during your turn, if want to take an Expand action, you discard a card of suit Foot from your hand. Then you take your normal Expand action, but since you have a tech with Communications, you may also increase your Might track by 1. No Sun card needed, no extra card or condition is needed. However, during the Upkeep phase, that tech in your tableau needs upkeep or else the number of challenges you'll draw goes up by 1. Here is where the suit of the advancement matters again: cards you discard as upkeep must match a suit of an advancement on the card receiving the upkeep. For Communications, that suit is Sun. So since there is only the Communications advancement on the tech in your tableau, you'll need to discard a Sun from your hand to place an upkeep cube on it.

Continuing the example, consider if you later added another advancement to your tech, Defense "HAND - Defense - BATTLE - remove a rival cube from the battle" so it now has both Communications and Defense. Now during your turn if you want to take the Battle action, you must discard a Hand card from your hand. Then you take a normal Battle action, but since your tech has Defense you additionally get to remove an extra rival cube from the sector you attacked. What has changed is the Upkeep phase is a little easier now. Since there is now a complete Sun advancement (Communications) and a complete Hand advancement (Defense), you can discard either a Sun or a Hand card from your hand to upkeep the incomplete tech.

Now not all advancements are triggered by actions. For instance Art is "MOON - Art - START - Increase Culture by 1". That means, as soon as you enter the Start phase at the beginning of your turn, and you have the Art advancement on a world/tech in your tableau (or discard a complete tech with it), you can choose to trigger Art and increase the Culture track by 1. No Moon card or other condition is needed. Art has good synergy with other START advancements, like Economy. If you have a tech with both Art and Economy, you can increase a track then immediately decrease it to draw 2 cards at the start of your turn!

Again, advancements are typically just enhancements to actions you'd normally take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moore
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may repeat some things that have already been said, but sometimes it's good to hear things from a different perspective. This is a picture of my cards. The left is an incomplete tech and the right is a complete tech. When I generate a card I write suite and value, then card type/era, then effects in the big area (not writing the advancement suite)(format as name-action-era/effect below), then in the bottom the suites of the advancements lining up top to bottom with left to right (after completion of techs it's irrelevant what suite belongs to what). The other picture is one of my complete worlds.

The suite and value of a card is completely separate from the effects, with a couple of exceptions. For completed Techs, there is no time that the suite of the advancement has any effect on the action or using the effect of the advancement. This is why I leave out the suites of advancements for my completed tech.

For incomplete Techs, the advancement suites are only relevant when they are in your tableau. If the incomplete Tech is in your hand, it is treated as a blank card. The only way they end up back in your tableau is if you used the deck option in the advance action. [Strategy side note. Effects like History are a great way to know when to do that.]

For Worlds they are only relevant when completing a challenge, and if it happens to be your home world during your upkeep. You can use worlds you have settled to beat a challenge.

Simply put, an advancement's suite is only relevant when you are generating a new advancement, doing upkeep, or beating a challenge. This is why I keep mine separated on the card, and don't even bother with them on completed techs.

If you are wondering about the 3 square graphics, they are suite then value then card type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.