GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,824 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trog reserves 4 player gm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark etwell
Canada
Aurora
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a trog player enters a region with a trog token and has to place trogs from the reserve but can't as the trog reserve is empty, does he have to kill a trog and return one to the reserve? This seems to be the case according to the rules, but it doesn't really make thematic sense.

Edit: "Trog" was auto-corrected to "trigger" or "Frog" - corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, if a player enters a region, triggering a Trog token, and there are no Trog minis to fulfill the token's requirements the player that moved in loses one of his minis from that region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark etwell
Canada
Aurora
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this still true if it's the Trog player that moves into this space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
retrowiz wrote:
Is this still true if it's the Trog player that moves into this space?

Yes, this also applies to the Trog player, according to the rules as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe so, but I won't be playing that way! I imagine it will be changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:

I'm sure Grant will answer this soon enough, but we also played it without removing a unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:

It is troop management, I don't think it will be changed. You shouldn't move into a region with a Trog token if the reserve is empty.

greasedonkey wrote:
I'm sure Grant will answer this soon enough, but we also played it without removing a unit.

You're free to play however you want, but I think you're removing some of the decisions of the players by removing this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
You're free to play however you want, but I think you're removing some of the decisions of the players by removing this rule.

I'm not advocating making my own rules, but it does feel a little odd to kill your own units as the Trog player.

By then me and you, as I've seen you comment on this sub actively, can probably agree that some rules needed some clarification and I feel that this is one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greasedonkey wrote:
jmathias wrote:

I'm not advocating making my own rules, but it does feel a little odd to kill your own units as the Trog player.

By then me and you, as I've seen you comment on this sub actively, can probably agree that some rules needed some clarification and I feel that this is one of them.

Thematically this indeed does seems strange, but could be spun as you are just resupplying your army reserves. You aren't actually killing a troop.

Yes there are some rules that need clarification, mostly around structures and skills. But this rule seems straight forward to me, and in fact the effect is completely avoidable, and often strategic.

You are always aware of the state of the Trog reserve. There is never a time you would make a move and be blindsided by this rule. Mechanically applying this to the Trogs is a way to get Trog minis back into the reserve for the Trog player to place in new regions when his tokens are triggered.

If I see the reserves are empty, as the Human player I can move into a Trog token area, resolve the token, lose 1 guy and take control, without having to battle, then I have a new place to build structurs. The Trog player wants to keep his reserves full, this rule allows the Trog player to strategically place his minis back in reserve to keep a constant threat of battle on the other factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark etwell
Canada
Aurora
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a great deal of rule confusion in the game as well that the rule book did not clarify. the FAQ on here helped but did not solve all. I wish the rulebook explained the buildings in more (more than none!) detail as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark etwell
Canada
Aurora
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
greasedonkey wrote:
jmathias wrote:

Thematically this indeed does seems strange, but could be spun as you are just resupplying your army reserves. You aren't actually killing a troop.

Yes there are some rules that need clarification, mostly around structures and skills. But this rule seems straight forward to me, and in fact the effect is completely avoidable, and often strategic.

You are always aware of the state of the Trog reserve. There is never a time you would make a move and be blindsided by this rule. Mechanically applying this to the Trogs is a way to get Trog minis back into the reserve for the Trog player to place in new regions when his tokens are triggered.

If I see the reserves are empty, as the Human player I can move into a Trog token area, resolve the token, lose 1 guy and take control, without having to battle, then I have a new place to build structurs. The Trog player wants to keep his reserves full, this rule allows the Trog player to strategically place his minis back in reserve to keep a constant threat of battle on the other factions.
Of course you may be forced into a space like this after a battle and be forced to lose another Trog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
retrowiz wrote:
jmathias wrote:
greasedonkey wrote:
jmathias wrote:

Of course you may be forced into a space like this after a battle and be forced to lose another Trog.

Fair enough, but still not a surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The other night I played it we played the trog does not lose a unit. As mentioned, it doesn't make sense. This definitely needs some game creator level clarification IMHO as the answer is not obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Friends --

If a Pilgrim/Human/Machine moves into a Region and resolves a Trog War Party token or Trog Nest, and there are no Trogs in the reserve to add?

1. Remove 1 of your Units
2. Add any Crystals
3. Place a Control Marker

If a Trog Unit moves into a Region and resolves a Trog War Party token or Trog nest, and there are no Trogs in the reserve to add?

1. Do NOT remove a Trog Unit
2. Add any Crystals

Thanks,
grant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
Hi Friends --

If a Pilgrim/Human/Machine moves into a Region and resolves a Trog War Party token or Trog Nest, and there are no Trogs in the reserve to add?

2. Add any Crystals

If a Trog Unit moves into a Region and resolves a Trog War Party token or Trog nest, and there are no Trogs in the reserve to add?

2. Add any Crystals

Thanks,
grant

Is this a rule change/errata, or did I miss this clarification in the rulebook, or FAQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
Hi Friends --

2. Add any Crystals

2. Add any Crystals

Thanks,
grant

Is this a rule change/errata, or did I miss this clarification in the rulebook, or FAQ?

This is us clarifying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Follow up question: if there's 2 war party tokens to resolve in the same space and only 1 trog figure in the reserve, does a non-trog lose a guy when they walk in? I.e., do you resolve the war party tokens one at a time and therefore don't have any figures to add for the second token, or do they get resolved simultaneously and you just sort of total up the number of trogs you're supposed to add and then add as many as you can?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flame112 wrote:
Follow up question: if there's 2 war party tokens to resolve in the same space and only 1 trog figure in the reserve, does a non-trog lose a guy when they walk in? I.e., do you resolve the war party tokens one at a time and therefore don't have any figures to add for the second token, or do they get resolved simultaneously and you just sort of total up the number of trogs you're supposed to add and then add as many as you can?

It's a good question, the rule book doesn't mention if you resolve one token at a time or not. It's written in way that there will always be 0 or 1 token in a region, never more.

Rule book - Move wrote:
2. For each Region you Moved into with a Trog War Party/Nest token, reveal and resolve that token. If no Trog Units were placed in the Region as a direct result of the effect of the token (when there is no Trog Unit in the Reserve), you must immediately lose one Unit in that Region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd assume you resolve one at at time, but worth the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Official FAQ part 2 on its way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have multiple Trog tokens and no Trogs are added, you lose 1 Unit per Trog. Remember, Trogs don't lose them.

If you have multiple, for each token you add at least one Trog? No loss. For each token you do not place at least one? Lose one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have multiple Trog tokens and no Trogs are added, you lose 1 Unit per Trog. Remember, Trogs don't lose them.

If you have multiple, for each token you add at least one Trog? No loss. For each token you do not place at least one? Lose one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:

Hi Grant,

Thanks for being so active on these forums!

This came up this evening so just want to check I played it right. As your above statements are worded slightly different - although probably me reading it wrong!

1) If a Trog player moves into a region with either of the Trog tokens and no other factions units you resolve the tokens in the order of your choice. If you can't place Trogs due to having none in the reserve nothing happens. (Fine with this, all makes sense).

2) If another faction moves into a region with a single or multiple of either Trog Token and no other factions units you resolve the tokens in the order of your choice (so far so good, here's the questions).

- You must fully resolve each token before moving onto the next, correct?
- If you can place at least one Trog unit for a token nothing happens, correct?
- If you cannot place any Trog units (due to there being none in the reserve), do you lose one unit per missing Trog, or one per token? (This is where I've gotten confused with your wording above).

Thanks so much! We had a great 4 player game tonight, all of us newbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:

Hi Grant,

Thanks for being so active on these forums!

This came up this evening so just want to check I played it right. As your above statements are worded slightly different - although probably me reading it wrong!

1) If a Trog player moves into a region with either of the Trog tokens and no other factions units you resolve the tokens in the order of your choice. If you can't place Trogs due to having none in the reserve nothing happens. (Fine with this, all makes sense).

2) If another faction moves into a region with a single or multiple of either Trog Token and no other factions units you resolve the tokens in the order of your choice (so far so good, here's the questions).

- You must fully resolve each token before moving onto the next, correct?
- If you can place at least one Trog unit for a token nothing happens, correct?
- If you cannot place any Trog units (due to there being none in the reserve), do you lose one unit per missing Trog, or one per token? (This is where I've gotten confused with your wording above).

Thanks so much! We had a great 4 player game tonight, all of us newbies.

It's one per token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.