Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Reference wrote:
This league is COMPLETE.
1st place: Travelsized
2nd place: Discostu1001

Only the Legendary Base Set and Fear Itself expansions are allowed.

*** Please see the bottom of this post for clarifications on using Villains content with the (Heroes) Base Set! ***

December's League will feature (Set TBD), with the first match due on December 5th.

Welcome to another month and another Starter League! If you've been looking to play in one of the Legendary Leagues here on the site, but you've only got the base set, and maybe an expansion or two, I'm here for you!

If you're new to the "Starter Leagues," these are going to be limited to the Heroes Base Set and up to 1 Expansion. Each league will run for only 3 matches, reducing the amount of time you'll need to finish or catch up if you need to. A new league will start each month, so you'll always have an opportunity to play! Winners gain the ability to set the terms for a future league.

Format
A new Starter league will be posted near the beginning of each month. Some leagues will only use a base set, while others may include 1 expansion set as well. There will be 3 matches in the league, so that it will end within the same month. Each match will have a randomly determined setup, allowing you to pick some of the heroes you'll use to fight the Mastermind.

In Match 1 and 3, you'll pick 2 heroes from those available in the league's sets.
In Match 2, you'll pick 1 hero.

(You can only pick a hero once, so you can't choose to include Spider-Man in Match 1 and 2, for example. The app will present you with a list of options and automatically filter out your previous selections when you attempt to post your results so you don't mess it up.)

Results will be ranked using the Points Per Turn method. So rather than calculating your score using the formula in the back of the rulebook, the app will determine the average amount of points you earned over the number of turns you played the game. Accumulating points as you defeat the Mastermind quickly is key!

More information about the ranking can be seen on the website.

How to Play
To play, head over to http://www.legendaryleagues.com and register an account if you need one using the link in the top right. Then, after logging in, select the league from the front page, then click the Register button from the league details screen!

All games will be played using the Advanced Solo Rules from the Dark City expansion. If you don't have it, those rules (and some other clarifications) are listed on the website. Also, look out for match specific clarifications at the bottom of each match block!

You should only play each match once and report your results.

You'll need to keep track of the following to report your results:
Did you win? (Generally, this means did you defeat the mastermind, but some Schemes have alternate win conditions, like Forge the Infinity Gauntlet.)
How many victory points are in your victory pile?
How many twists did you draw during the match? (And stayed out, in case some get shuffled back in the deck.)
How many enemies escaped?
How many bystanders were carried away by enemies?
How many rounds did it take for you to finish the match?
Which non-random heroes did you use?

Prizes

The player who finishes in 1st place will get to choose the expansion included in the month after next's league. (So January, not December.)

You have Dark City and want to use that? Okay. You only got the Guardians expansion? No problem. Want to spice it up and mix in the Villains set? I like your style.

The player who finishes in 2nd place will get to choose one card/group from the Mastermind's side to guarantee as included or excluded in the match of their choice.

You hate the Negative Zone, and don't want it used as a scheme? I don't blame you. Let's pitch it. You love the Nega-Bomb? So do I! It's in! You think using Dark City demands fighting Apocalypse in Match 2 where the players have less choice? Wow, that's hard core, but okay.

As always, let me know if you have any questions, and have fun playing!

Clarifications for mixing Fear Itself with the Heroes Base Set
These are listed in the Fear Itself rule sheet, but I'm making an executive decision for New Recruits at the bottom.

d10-1 Madame Hydra is NOT available for use. If you're instructed to gain one, you get Maria Hill instead. Deal with it.

d10-2 Use Wounds instead of Bindings (though I think they actually play the same in solo, anyway)

d10-3 If something references the HYDRA team symbol, use SHIELD instead. (Yes, Skadi is part of SHIELD in this game.)

d10-4 Use the city layout from the Heroes base set board, not the reversed Villains layout.

New Recruits

Not everyone owns the Villains set and has access to the New Recruits. Since the Villains set is not required for this league, the following options are provided for players. You may choose one of the following options when you play your games, but you must play the entire game consistently. (You may change options from match to match, if you wish.)

d10-1 Play as instructed in the rule sheet. When you would gain a New Recruit from a card effect, you instead gain +1 attack to use for the turn. You may not recruit New Recruits.

d10-2 Proxy the New Recruits with something else (or use the real cards if you have them). Double-backed/blank cards from big expansions, Sidekicks, or another hero all work well. You may recruit from this pile as normal; it is always available, with its normal 15 card limit. For reference, here's the card:

Feel free to ask any rules questions about them here, or look in the Villains forum for clarifications.

Match Lineup:

Match 1 - Due Monday night, Nov 07, 2016
Mastermind: Loki
Scheme: Fear Itself
Villain Group: The Mighty
Henchmen: (3) Sentinels
Heroes: Skirn
You may select 2 additional Heroes from the list of available Heroes.

Max Turn Count: 20
Max VP: 79
Villain Deck Contents: 8 The Mighty, 3 Sentinels, 5 Strikes, 10 Twists, 1 Bystander

Match 2 - Due Monday night, Nov 14, 2016
Mastermind: Red Skull
Scheme: Unleash The Power of The Cosmic Cube
Villain Group: Skrulls
Henchmen: (3) Savage Land Mutates
Heroes: Nerkkod, Nul
You may select 1 additional Hero from the list of available Heroes.

Max VP: 72
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Skrulls, 3 Savage Land Mutates, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 1 Bystander

Notes: The abilities on Red Skull's Master Strike effect and Tactic cards that reference HYDRA villains apply to the villain group in this match.

Match 3 - Due Monday night, Nov 21, 2016
Mastermind: Uru-Enchanted Iron Man
Scheme: Last Stand at Avengers Tower
Villain Group: Spider-Foes
Henchmen: (3) Doombot Legion
Heroes: Kuurth

Max Turn Count: 19
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Spider-Foes, 3 Doombot Legion, 5 Strikes, 6 Twists, 1 Bystander

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Starter League #14 (November) - NOW OPEN (Base Set + Fear Itself, -- Villains not required)
But if we have Villains we can use it??, or we can use the cards but must use base set?

sorry if I'm confusing things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Starter League #14 (November) - NOW OPEN (Base Set + Fear Itself, -- Villains not required)
usuba wrote:
But if we have Villains we can use it??, or we can use the cards but must use base set?

sorry if I'm confusing things

ok just reread rules and it is actually very clear, no need to respond
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Week 1 Results
When Loki tries to rule the world with fear, it's the power of DiscoStu1001 is able to stop him! (Really, disco stops fear? Wow.)

Rank Username Total Adjusted Points
1 discostu1001 12
2 travelsized 11
3 alphasyndrome 10
4 gfelga 8.5
4 alduc 8.5
6 Capecastle 7
7 Andraxx 5
7 Usuba 5
7 Thud105 5

Full details here: http://www.legendaryleagues.com/#/matches/1213/rankings

Another small crowd this time for Fear Itself, but that's okay. It just means the competition will be more intense! While others went with the hammer heavy crews, I tried out the old standby of Wolverine + Spider-Man. I lucked into pulling several of Skirn's hammers early on, which is what I was counting on, with the Spidey+Wolverine+New Recruit drawing powerhouse. Much attack power was generated, many hammers were thrown. But disco beat me by 2 VP in the end.

This week, we say hello to a set of old friends as the league reverts to training mode on the villains side:
Match 2 - Due Monday night, Nov 14, 2016
Mastermind: Red Skull
Scheme: Unleash The Power of The Cosmic Cube
Villain Group: Skrulls
Henchmen: (3) Savage Land Mutates
Heroes: Nerkkod, Nul
You may select 1 additional Hero from the list of available Heroes.

Max VP: 72
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Skrulls, 3 Savage Land Mutates, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 1 Bystander

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just able to catch up tonight - my wife had surgery so I've been a bit pre-occupied.

I was excited to have a chance to try Fear Itself -- I had never gotten around to cracking it out before, and it's...interesting.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Clearly I don't know my way around it because I choose poorly, but I was just barely able to win almost at the end. Picked Wolverine with the idea of stacking up a huge tally for the artifacts by drawing massive cards. Took until the very end but finally hit my turn with a massive draw.

I was using Kuursk (who I assume is an Uru enchanted Juggernaut?) under some sort of belief that he would synergize well. He didn't. Fortunately, the scheme gave me tons of heroes to choose from, so it didn't totally suck. Until it did.

Bring on The Red Skull!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The trick with Thrown Artifacts is to hold them until your deck is empty (or almost), throw them to the bottom, then draw back into them and use them again on the same turn. On the artifacts that accumulate strength (like how many cards you've drawn or discarded this turn), those are huge plays. Figuring out how to set those turns up can be tricky, but New Recruits, with their built in card draw, can help a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
The trick with Thrown Artifacts is to hold them until your deck is empty (or almost), throw them to the bottom, then draw back into them and use them again on the same turn. On the artifacts that accumulate strength (like how many cards you've drawn or discarded this turn), those are huge plays. Figuring out how to set those turns up can be tricky, but New Recruits, with their built in card draw, can help a lot.

Wow. Totally misplayed that -- I discarded them instead of putting them on the bottom. Wow, that makes them way more powerful.

I don't think it impacted the game at all so I don't think I need to replay it -- I blasted through the mastermind with the two I had, wouldn't have drawn them either which way.

But let me know if I should replay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Week 2 Results
The Red Skull has a Cosmic Cube? Hulk smash! Capecastle takes the win for the week!

Current standings:
1 Rincey 26.5
2 travelsized 26
3 Capecastle 24
3 discostu1001 24
5 alduc 23.5
6 alphasyndrome 22
7 gfelga 18
8 Usuba 17
9 Thud105 14

Full results here: http://www.legendaryleagues.com/#/matches/1214/rankings

With 5 out of 9 players bringing the Hulk along, there aren't many surprises. With the easiest mastermind in the game, and a scheme with a built in timer, you just want someone strong to rush in for the kill. Hulk fits the bill.

I'm holding on to 2nd place overall, and I'm currently in the lead for 1st! Woo!

This week, Iron Man tries out some upgrades to his armor.

Match 3 - Due Monday night, Nov 21, 2016
Mastermind: Uru-Enchanted Iron Man
Scheme: Last Stand at Avengers Tower
Villain Group: Spider-Foes
Henchmen: (3) Doombot Legion
Heroes: Kuurth

Max Turn Count: 19
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Spider-Foes, 3 Doombot Legion, 5 Strikes, 6 Twists, 1 Bystander
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be wrapping up tonight. If anyone needs an extension, let me know. I'm actually (narrowly) winning right now, so... I don't mind closing this on time.

Does anyone else smell chimichangas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
This should be wrapping up tonight. If anyone needs an extension, let me know. I'm actually (narrowly) winning right now, so... I don't mind closing this on time.

Does anyone else smell chimichangas?

I'm horribly behind again -- I literally have match 2 still laid out but was interrupted last night and haven't finished it yet.

If I don't get to it, go ahead and close it. I'll do my best, but if not, oh well, there's always next month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See, the thing about time off from work is that I'm usually still busy and don't see the reminder that I have on my calendar for Tuesday mornings to post the results. So, without further ado...

Final Results
When Iron Man just wants to get a good night's sleep in his fancy tower, you know what keeps him up all night? Discostu1001 does, because Stark loves to dance. But Travelsized takes home the prize for the league!

Final Standings:
1 travelsized 40
2 discostu1001 39
2 Rincey 39
4 alduc 36
5 gfelga 27
5 Usuba 27
7 Thud105 25

Full results here: http://www.legendaryleagues.com/#/matches/1215/rankings

What?! After more than a year, I finally win one?! Finally! Even though I never took 1st place in a single week, I was always close enough to the top to do well overall. This week, I figured I'd mix Skadi's discard abilities with Nick Fury's self hatred to good effect. A few people went with Cyclops which is a good choice given Hulk's hammers and Skadi's desire for discards. And Uru + Fight or Fail still remains my favorite villain effects in the game.

1st place - Travelsized can pick any set for January. Surprise! I'm going with Deadpool! Put it on your Christmas lists now kids, and tell Santa when you see him at the mall!
2nd place - DiscoStu1001 can pick any villain card/scheme to include or exclude from a match of his choice.

Stay tuned for December's league coming up soon featuring Guardians of the Galaxy. I may even have it up later today if my kids will leave me alone long enough to get the post up. Subscribe to the geeklist here to stay up to date on all the fun! https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/200838/legendary-star...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey Hensel
msg tools
I'll be getting the deadpool expansion for Christmas so I'll let you know what card choices I'll have after I see all the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
1st place - Travelsized can pick any set for January. Surprise! I'm going with Deadpool! Put it on your Christmas lists now kids, and tell Santa when you see him at the mall!

How well does the Deadpool set play in solo? I'm genuinely interested in hearing from people who have tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
TravelSized wrote:

How well does the Deadpool set play in solo? I'm genuinely interested in hearing from people who have tried it.

I haven't played too much of it yet, but I found the Revenge on Deadpool's Friends to be really tough. I used Deadpool, Solo, and Bob and didn't see (or remember) any problems beyond Bob's uncommon that deals with other players. Overall it seemed okay, buy we'll find out more next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey Hensel
msg tools
Just played with the deadpool expansion for the first time with my family. And it's insane. But I'll have to say no Everybody hates deadpool scheme. Something about evil winning after 3 Villians escaping seems nerve wrecking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.