Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Lunar Beam rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a rule question but a flavor text question. What does the Lunar beam exactly do? Where does the beam comes from (reflection on earth Moon? on Deimos, Phobos?)

It seems to be quite powerfull (2 energies, 2 heats)

That's the only card who puzzles me completely, I don't understand the concept :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It utilizes He-3 isotopes found on our own Moon, Luna. He-3 can be used in fusion power plants and the energy is (in this game) released as an energy beam directed at a reciever stations on Mars.
Of, course, with such distances, the beam will spread a bit and thus be difficult to collect, causing direct heating for the part missing the stations, as well as electricity in the reciever stations when collecting the main beam.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that's clear.

Now, I'm not sure of the efficiency.

Firstly, you can receive the beam only when the receptor is seeing the moon, so only during half a martian day.
So You need at least 2 receptors on the 2 sides of Mars, with precision antenna control to optimize the reception

Secondly, you can emit from the moon only if the moon is pointing toward mars:
- either you build only one emitter on the dark side and you can emit to mars only 50% of the time (14 days emitting, 14 days not emitting)
- either you build a second one on the bright side of the moon, but you need to be very carefull not pointing it on earth (instant cooking of earth cities), with the risks of malfunction, that seems quite dangerous

That is without considering the case when Mars and the moon are in opposition (I computed approx 0,5% of time) and when earth-moon is in opposition to mars (once every 26 months, during some hours)

So : two receptors needed and each one will receive only 25% of time

Maybe with high capacitors you may stock energy during the first part of the moon orbit to send it during the second part... That would resolve the moon part of the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P.
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you could use relay stations in space to redirect the beam. That way the emitter and receptor wouldn't need to face each other directly to be able to transmit and one of each would be enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not wanting to start another thread, and
having another "moon" science question, I
hope you don't mind.

Don't you need a moon to make your Terraforming truly work?
Our moon provides churning of the oceans as well as
tides, currents, wind patterns, etc.
The search for habitable planets has moved beyond those
in the "Goldie-locks zone" to those that also have
life-supporting moons.

Protective Van Allen belts and plate tectonics are
also necessary. Not having played the game, from
what I've seen it doesn't to seem very scientifically based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Duinhir wrote:
Secondly, you can emit from the moon only if the moon is pointing toward mars:
- either you build only one emitter on the dark side and you can emit to mars only 50% of the time (14 days emitting, 14 days not emitting)
- either you build a second one on the bright side of the moon, but you need to be very carefull not pointing it on earth (instant cooking of earth cities), with the risks of malfunction, that seems quite dangerous

This reminds me of that Star Trek Enterprise episode where there WAS a mining station on Moon, which had a beam that cook people on Earth, and they used it to highjack the Mars terraforming process (or something similar, it's been ages )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
capt yid wrote:
hope you don't mind.

life-supporting moons.

Moons, Allen belts and plate Tectonics are only part of an evolutionary assumption of how life might evolve, not for what life needs to survive. If we bring life there, those points are largely irrelevant.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capt yid wrote:
hope you don't mind.

life-supporting moons.

The moon presence question is a good one, how would earth organisms adapt to a planet without moon cycles? without tides?
I'm not sure we could gather the scientific evidence proving the absence of a real moon would really be an hindrance (or the opposite fwiw)

capt yid wrote:

Concerning Van Allen belt, some projects cards deal with the creation of a magnetic field. This is covered

Concerning the science base of the game, the author did really extensives research and you will not easily find games dealing more with hard science.
Not everything is perfect, because mankind never colonized another planet and the game must be playable.

You can find some cons to this game (you will find them on the forum), but "not being scientifically based" seems quite strange to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.