Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Star Realms Masters Series, Bases Discipline!

This is the main competition thread for the Bases Discipline, while there will be plenty of information contained here, additional information can be found in the main thread, and the discipline qualification thread:

Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
Star Realms Masters Series – Bases, registration & qualification

The Bases Discipline is centered on competition using the Crisis: Bases & Battleships digital expansion and the original Base Set for this season. Players who have qualified for the discipline should subscribe to this thread, as well as leave a thumbs-up.

The qualifier and starter tournaments are both played as type-B, while the crossover tournaments on the circuit for this discipline will be type-BE, type-BH, type-1B, type-BF, and type-GB. There are six chances to earn an entry into the Mastery Invitational, by winning the starter tournament, or finishing top-3 in any of the crossover tournaments. All discipline qualifiers will participate in the Mastery Open tournament. Both halves of the Mastery tournament will be played as type-B.

Qualifier Tournament
If you are here legitimately, it means that you have already qualified, and this part of the competition is behind you. You would have earned 2 trophy points as a group winner, or 1 trophy point if you tied for the win.

Starter Tournament
The qualifiers will also move on to the second stage of the tournament, which will be the discipline starter tournament, a double elimination tournament. As with the other double elimination tournaments in the masters series, matches in the top bracket will be played as best-of-3 games, while matches in the losers bracket will be played as single-games. This is to keep the lower bracket on pace with the upper. The winner of the losers bracket will play the winner of the winners bracket in a best-of-five, with a one game advantage given to the upper player. The winner receives 3 trophy points, second and third place each earn 2 trophy points, fourth through eighth each earn 1 trophy point.

Bases Qualifier & Starter - Challonge Page

Crossover Tournaments
Each crossover tournament will be a double-elimination tournament that qualifiers from two separate disciplines will come together to compete in. As with the starter tournament, matches in the top bracket will be played as best-of-3 games, while matches in the losers bracket will be played as single-games, and the final match will be played as a lop-sided best-o-five. The winner receives 4 trophy points, second and third place each earn 3 trophy points, fourth through eighth each earn 2 trophy point, and ninth through sixteenth all receive 1 trophy point. Participants who have qualified for both disciplines will receive the full amount of rewarded trophy points toward their ranking in both disciplines.

Bases & Events Crossover - Challonge Page
Bases & Heroes Crossover - Challonge Page
Promos & Bases Crossover - Challonge Page
Bases & Fleets Crossover - Challonge Page
Gambits & Bases Crossover - Challonge Page

Mastery Tournament
Both halves of the mastery tournament are single elimination, and matches will be played as best-of-three games by default. Entry into the Invitational half requires winning the Starter tournament, or finishing in the Top-3 of any of the Crossover tournaments. Accepting the invitation will also cost some amount of trophy points, probably 3, reducing the advantage the player might otherwise appreciate in the Open half of the tournament. In the Open half of the tournament, advantages will be given to players who have accumulated more trophy points than their opponents. The specific details are yet known, but in general, matches where one player has some threshold more trophy points than their opponent will be played as a lop-sided best-of-five series. The result of using this advantage, or surviving the disadvantage, may cause an adjustment to the trophy point total of the winning player. The idea is to place an appropriate level of importance on performance in earlier tournaments, while still allowing any qualifier a reasonable chance at winning the mastery.

Bases Mastery Invitational - Challonge Page
Bases Mastery Open - Challonge Page

Tentative Calendar
Qualifier tournament - Complete
Starter tournament - Complete
The Circuit
Crossover tournament 1 - Complete [BE]
Crossover tournament 2 - Complete [BH]
Crossover tournament 3 - Complete [1B]
Crossover tournament 4 - Complete [BF]
Crossover tournament 5 - Complete [GB]
Mastery Invitational - Live
Mastery Open tournament - Live

Quick Navigation: [ Gambits | Promos | Bases | Events | Heroes | Fleets ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series - Bases Discipline, Season 1
Bases Discipline Standings

Participants TP | Bq Bs Ex Hx Px Fx Gx
------------ -- | -- -- -- -- -- -- --
+Wheels 13 | 2 0 4 1 2 0 4
+AgentSeto 12 | 0 2 1 1 4 1 3
Ciago 11 | 2 1 2 1 2 2 1
+dommola 10 | 1 1 0 3 3 1 1
+CbusRipper 9 | 1 2 1 0 0 4 1
TAGames 7 | 2 0 0 1 1 2 1
+CrankyDay 6 | 2 0 3 0 0 1 0
+GodURmyall 6 | 1 0 0 1 1 0 3
Horowits 6 | 0 1 1 2 1 1 0
rawlinpa 6 | 1 1 0 2 2 0 0
+AJEddy 5 | 0 3 2 0 0 0 0
+WestDaddyUtd 5 | 0 0 3 1 0 0 1
tiggers 5 | 1 0 0 0 1 2 1
Darklighter 4 | 1 0 0 2 0 1 0
Facsantos 4 | 0 0 2 0 1 0 1
MarcelP 4 | 2 0 0 0 0 0 2
Zingy 4 | 0 0 2 0 0 2 0
networktoast 3 | 2 0 0 0 0 1 0
Ominous 3 | 2 0 0 0 0 1 0
SilentAl 3 | 2 0 0 0 0 0 1
CCKinnison 1 | 0 1 0 0 0 0 0

+ earned seat in Mastery Invitational
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series - Bases Discipline, Season 1
Bases Discipline Results

Bases Mastery Invitational - 1st: AJEddy
Bases Mastery Invitational - 2nd: WestDaddyUtd

Bases Mastery Open Tournament - 1st: AgentSeto
Bases Mastery Open Tournament - 2nd: Wheels

Gambits & Bases Crossover - 1st: Wheels
Gambits & Bases Crossover - 2nd: AgentSeto
Gambits & Bases Crossover - 3rd: GodURmyall
Gambits & Bases Crossover - 7th: MarcelP
Gambits & Bases Crossover - 9th: ciago, Facsantos, SilentAl, tiggers
Gambits & Bases Crossover - 13th: CbusRipper, dommola, TAGames, WestDaddyUtd

Bases & Fleets Crossover - 1st: CbusRipper
Bases & Fleets Crossover - 4th: Zingy
Bases & Fleets Crossover - 5th: TAGames
Bases & Fleets Crossover - 7th: Ciago, tiggers
Bases & Fleets Crossover - 9th: CrankyDay, networktoast, Horowits, Ominous
Bases & Fleets Crossover - 13th: AgentSeto, Darklighter, dommola, AJEddy

Promos & Bases Crossover - 1st: AgentSeto
Promos & Bases Crossover - 3rd: dommola
Promos & Bases Crossover - 5th: Wheels, Ciago
Promos & Bases Crossover - 7th: rawlinpa
Promos & Bases Crossover - 9th: GodURmyall, TAGames, tiggers
Promos & Bases Crossover - 13th: Horowits, Facsantos

Bases & Heroes Crossover - 2nd: dommola
Bases & Heroes Crossover - 4th: rawlinpa
Bases & Heroes Crossover - 5th: Darklighter, Horowits
Bases & Heroes Crossover - 9th: TAGames, Wheels
Bases & Heroes Crossover - 13th: AgentSeto, GodURmyall, ciago, WestDaddyUtd

Bases & Events Crossover - 1st: Wheels
Bases & Events Crossover - 2nd: WestDaddyUtd
Bases & Events Crossover - 3rd: CrankyDay
Bases & Events Crossover - 4th: Ciago
Bases & Events Crossover - 5th: AJEddy
Bases & Events Crossover - 7th: Facsantos, Zingy
Bases & Events Crossover - 9th: AgentSeto, CbusRipper
Bases & Events Crossover - 13th: Horowits

Starter Tournament - 1st: AJEddy
Starter Tournament - 2nd: CbusRipper
Starter Tournament - 3rd: AgentSeto
Starter Tournament - 4th: Horowits
Starter Tournament - 5th: rawlinpa and Ciago
Starter Tournament - 7th: CCKinnison and dommola

Qualifier - Group A: Ominous wins, AJEddy qualifies.
Qualifier - Group B: rawlinpa and CbusRipper tie.
Qualifier - Group C: TAGames wins, Horowits qualifies.
Qualifier - Group D: MarcelP wins, Max qualifiers.
Qualifier - Group E: Wheels wins, WestDaddyUtd qualifies.
Qualifier - Group F: SilentAl wins, CCKinnison qualifies.
Qualifier - Group G: CrankyDay wins, AgentSeto qualifies.
Qualifier - Group H: GodURmyall and dommola tie.
Qualifier - Group I: networktoast wins, Facsantos qualifies.
Qualifier - Group J: Ciago wins, Zingy qualifies.
Qualifier - Group K: tiggers and Darklighter tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bases Discipline Qualification tournament has completed and the Bases Discipline Starter Tournament has begun.

As a reminder. Matches in the top bracket are all best-of-three. Matches in the losers bracket are all single-game. All games are Type-B.

Bases Starter - Challonge Tournament Page

A note about first round byes and such (I'll get something official up once the policy is fully worked out). The seeds-classes in this tournament have been randomized. Some slight adjustments were made to keep group members from facing in winners bracket. The seed classes do not take into account the number of trophy points won in the qualifier. The seed classes will be tracked per player in each discipline to ensure fairness across the remaining tournaments. That is to say, players who did not first round byes (or are not in brackets where the loser skips the first losers bracket round) will be compensated with better seeding in other tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
networktoast and Max...you guys realize you have a match to play in the Bases Starter, loser's bracket? There is 4 rounds waiting on your Round 1 result.

Just a friendly reminder...with so many games going on it is easy to lose track of a match here and there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AJEddy wrote:
networktoast and Max...you guys realize you have a match to play in the Bases Starter, loser's bracket? There is 4 rounds waiting on your Round 1 result.

Just a friendly reminder...with so many games going on it is easy to lose track of a match here and there.
I am sure networktoast is aware, and I imagine the game is underway. Max (as well as a couple others) have definitely been on the slower side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Waymost
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyDay wrote:
AJEddy wrote:

I am sure networktoast is aware, and I imagine the game is underway. Max (as well as a couple others) have definitely been on the slower side.

Thanks for the reminder! I believe Max only finished his match in the winners' bracket yesterday (if it's been longer, then I really lost track of it). I've been very busy today, but I've issued a challenge. Hopefully we can play through it quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bases! I'm a bit surprised I made it in this one, as type-B is usually cruel to me, and I had to get past #klempsucks to make it. But Im here, and quickly lost the starter tournament.

As an avid fan of Events, I am looking forward to the type-BE crossover tournament, but I am thinking that the 1B and BF tournaments will both be highly competitive.

Defense Bot is an evil temptress, but a first or second deck Imperial Trader absolutely wins games. I'm also a big fan of the Mega Mech, unless my opponent has it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Waymost
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyDay wrote:
Hey Bases! I'm a bit surprised I made it in this one, as type-B is usually cruel to me, and I had to get past #klempsucks to make it. But Im here, and quickly lost the starter tournament.

As an avid fan of Events, I am looking forward to the type-BE crossover tournament, but I am thinking that the 1B and BF tournaments will both be highly competitive.

Defense Bot is an evil temptress, but a first or second deck Imperial Trader absolutely wins games. I'm also a big fan of the Mega Mech, unless my opponent has it.

So as someone who doesn't own Events, is the strategy aspect just being able to weather whatever storm an event sends your way? Or is there something more there that I'm missing?

1B and BF will be monsters competition-wise. Very popular formats with excellent rosters of players should make for high drama.

Defense Bot is one of those cards where if I'm taking it, either (a) it plays into my scrap-heavy and/or base-heavy deck already or (b) I'm throwing mud at the wall and praying I can win the game.

Imperial Trader is up there with Freighter for big-trade cards, though I think it's a little lower of a value. IT costs 5 to get 3 trade + draw with an ally of 4 damage. Early on the ally doesn't matter and later on it might help out if you can activate it enough times. Freighter costs 4 to get 4 trade with a top-deck ally. Early on, getting 4 is very similar to 3 + draw, and later on that ally can be huge, even if you don't get many chances to activate it.

Imperial Trader having the draw means it effectively gets out of the way later whereas Freighter can be a thorn in your side. That said, assuming a neutral situation with 5 trade, I'm not sure if I'd rather take IT or Freighter + Fed Shuttle. It's definitely IT over Freighter if I can't get anything else with the extra 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Strategy with Events, is being aware of what they are, and what they can do. knowing that a typical Events game will be shorter than a Vanilla game (though a long base-heavy ordeal is still possible) - so an Events game may reward an aggressive strategy more often.

The Tactical aspect, is all about segmented play; the Play-All button is not your friend in an Events game. Choosing whether or not to buy a card on the row has more potential implications. Its usually a good idea to activate a base decisions (Trading Post / Barter World) before a buy, in case Bombardment shows up. depending on when the next shuffle is, destroying a base or taking the authority hit, can be an important choice.

Events, even the good ones, are usually better for your opponent, unless they can help you finish the game immediately. An early Trade mission is an exception to that, and the timing of a Comet can either be about the same, or worse for the opponent, or it can be much much better (if your hand and discard are both empty when you reveal it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how far along the networktoast/Max match ever made it. But I am declaring networktoast the victor, so the Starter Tournament can progress. I apologize for the delay of action; I wanted to give Max the benefit of the doubt, and time to respond to geek mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We are awaiting a long line of results in the Losers Bracket.

Losers Round 2 - networktoast vs. dommola
Losers Quarters - Ominous vs. winner of above
Losers pre-Semis - AJEddy vs. winner of above
Losers Semis - Ciago vs. winner of above
Losers pre-Final - horowits vs. winner of above
Losers Finals - AgentSeto vs. winner of above

And then finally, it'll be CbusRipper vs. Losers Bracket Winner in a lop-sided best of five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Waymost
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyDay wrote:

We are awaiting a long line of results in the Losers Bracket.

Losers Round 2 - networktoast vs. dommola
Losers Quarters - Ominous vs. winner of above
Losers pre-Semis - AJEddy vs. winner of above
Losers Semis - Ciago vs. winner of above
Losers pre-Final - horowits vs. winner of above
Losers Finals - AgentSeto vs. winner of above

And then finally, it'll be CbusRipper vs. Losers Bracket Winner in a lop-sided best of five.

Challenge sent yesterday and accepted last night. Hope to get it played out quickly. Sorry for the delay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After an early loss to Horowits, AJEddy makes an amazing run through the losers bracket (incl. wins over Dommola, AgentSeto, and Horowits) all the way to the Grand Finals, where he managed an upset win over the powerhouse CbusRipper, securing his ticket to the Bases discipline Mastery Invitational at the end of the season. Way to go Chad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyDay wrote:
After an early loss to Horowits, AJEddy makes an amazing run through the losers bracket (incl. wins over Dommola, AgentSeto, and Horowits) all the way to the Grand Finals, where he managed an upset win over the powerhouse CbusRipper, securing his ticket to the Bases discipline Mastery Invitational at the end of the season. Way to go Chad!

Thank you Adam! And thanks again for putting this awesome event together. I look forward to playing in the Star Realms Masters for a long, long time. As its first ever individual tournament winner, no less.

There was a flurry of games going on when I started the match against CbusRipper, so I can't remember a lot. And a look back at the last turn of each game revealed little. I do remember that I was fortunate enough not to have bad draws. I didn't get crazy good draws, but I also avoided game losing bad draws. CbusRipper, on the other hand, had below average to bad draws in a couple of our games. Those games could have went a different way.

I saw a couple tips/tricks/strategies that I picked up since playing this event come together for me:

1. You can win with 0 scrap. BUT if you can't scrap, you better draw!

2. Scrap ability draws are fantastic for manipulating the reshuffle. In one game in particular, thanks to a couple Imperial Frigates and a Battle Cruiser, I was actually able to get 2 mini decks going. Knowing what you are likely getting in the next 2-3 hands is gigantic, especially when considering whether or not to scrap that Trading Post.

3. An early Trading Post or Battle Station can win a game. Even a Fighter Base. If they stay up for 3-4 turns, that is usually 8-12 damage prevented. That can be huge.

The most critical decision came in Game 5. And I took a long time to make it....

It was late deck 2, I had Cutter, Trade Raft, a scrapper, Trade Pod and Battle Screecher. I think. I had 5 trade and was trying to decide between Trading Post and another Screecher. While the Screecher gave me a ton of damage, and a good ally with cards I already had, Trading Post gave me great allies (draw with Trade Raft and 4 damage with Cutter), a little trade/authority, a little protection. And, CbusRipper's deck at the time was running nicely Blue, with 0 Green. So, I didn't want him to take TP, but the Screecher I was ok with him getting. And, it was still early, meaning an Exploder was still a reasonable buy with 2 trade left over, and the outpost may survive a turn or 2 given the early game and Cbusripper's blue/trade heavy deck. In fact, Cbusripper damage mostly came from ally abilities. So, the TP might last a bit. And finally, with 2 trade left over after buying TP (not so if I bought Screecher) there are a ton more good cards that could come in the trade row that I could buy.

I bought Trading Post. Cutter came. VERY lucky.

In the end, Cbusripper draws were terrible once I got Trading Post up, allying never and so Trading Post survived 3-4 turns. This was the setup for final victory in the deciding game.

Each game against CbusRipper was exciting, tense and a lot of fun. Making it to the end of a tournament is just so much fun in a game like this. Rare are the opportunities to do it. I soak them up every time I am so fortunate. Too bad I only have 22 (and counting) more opportunities to get back there during this Season 1 of the Star Realms Masters.

Thanks for the great match CbusRipper!!

And thanks to everyone here for making this event so great. It was CrankDay's brainchild, and he is the one putting in so much effort to make it as great as it is, but it could not all come together without such a fantastic community.

We are all very fortunate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bases & Events crossover is live.

This is the most divided of the crossovers with 19 players in the tournament representing only the Events discipline, and 18 of you that are strictly Bases discipline players. Only 3 players are from both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pan da
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good games, Cliff. Due to my behavior in Game #2, I have decided to seek counseling. I do love my overkills but I don't know where you stand with them and that one was particularly brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems at all with overkill. Man, those crazy events on the final turn torpedoed Game 3. Thought I had a chance with another turn (maybe 2?), but those events gave you all you needed to finish the job. To the losers bracket I go! Hey, at least I'm only facing dommola next round. gulp Thank you for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cliff... You are always a pain in the ass to play against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to oblige.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bases & Events Crossover has reached the Final 3.

WestDaddyUtd defeated Wheels in the Winners Finals, securing his spot in the Grand Finals.

CrankyDay defeated Ciago in the Losers Pre-Finals, and now faces Wheels in the Losers Finals.

All 3 remaining players represent the Bases Discipline (while Wheels is also in Events), and have each secured spots in the Bases discipline Mastery Invitational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@dommola have we played our Bases-Heroes match yet?

My complete history is wiped in the app and I can't remember if we played this one or not. If we have, the result is not up on Challonge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AJEddy wrote:

My complete history is wiped in the app and I can't remember if we played this one or not. If we have, the result is not up on Challonge.
Perhaps its time to sign up for the prostarrealms game tracker. keeps your history even after the app forgets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyDay wrote:
AJEddy wrote:

Perhaps its time to sign up for the prostarrealms game tracker. keeps your history even after the app forgets.

Cool. Signed up. And discovered I did not win the game.

Challonge updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bases & Events Crossover has come to a close.

Wheels emerges victorious with a victory from the lower bracket, while WestDaddyUtd and CrankyDay also earn seats in the Bases Mastery Invitational tournament for their 2nd and 3rd place finishes.

Three discipline members still compete in the Bases & Heroes Crossover with two of the top-3 spots already claimed by Heroes members. dommola, Horowits, and rawlinpa all look to take the third spot.

It's still very early in the Promos & Bases Crossover, but Wheels is furthest along, sitting in a guaranteed top-5 position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.