$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Player scalability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dax is
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it play well with two?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Playing with 2 requires different strategies, but those strategies are just as fun to carry out as the 3 or 4 player strategies. You may want to do the 2nd Mission on easy though, it's very difficult to cover all of the necessary ground with 2 in that one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, I've now played with all player counts now (including solo) and 2 and 4 players are equally as fun, but the game does have a different feel.

With 4 players, it's more long term strategic where you need to slowly build up your mech to deal with whatever overall goals it needs to do.

In 2 players, it's a bit more short term tactical, as you will find yourself having to switch roles with your mechs more, but getting 2 cards instead of one per turn makes it possible to change your mech more quickly and react to the situation.

3 players of course sits somewhere inbetween... I think it's my least favourite player count just because it doesn't feel as "clean" to have people getting a different number of cards each round. That's a super minor quibble though, and it still plays well though and is tonnes of fun.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moosemcd wrote:
Yes.

Playing with 2 requires different strategies, but those strategies are just as fun to carry out as the 3 or 4 player strategies. You may want to do the 2nd Mission on easy though, it's very difficult to cover all of the necessary ground with 2 in that one.


Mission 2 is super easy with 2 players (or any number) if you

Spoiler (click to reveal)
just take your time. Don't pick up crystals, kill minions faster than they arrive, until there are only a few on the board, and your Command Lines are fully built up. Then you can quickly bring the crystals back to the school without much threat at all from the minions.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Mission 2 is super easy with 2 players (or any number) if you

Spoiler (click to reveal)
just take your time. Don't pick up crystals, kill minions faster than they arrive, until there are only a few on the board, and your Command Lines are fully built up. Then you can quickly bring the crystals back to the school without much threat at all from the minions.

David's got this one nailed. He speaks the truth.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you rush to get the crystals right away with 2 players, you're probably heading to your doom. You'll get all jacked up with damage slots which you'll either have to work around or waste time drafting repairs.

Just relax, build up your program line for a few turns and take out the advancing minions. THEN think about sending someone out to go get a crystal.

One of the designers noted that the timers become more aggressive in later missions. But in this one (especially with 2 players) there's no global game clock ticking down. Just chill and build up your capabilities before rushing into danger.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go ahead and agree: very playable at 2 players. It may be a bit harder, an may require different strategies, but still plays great. Currently on Mission 5 with 2P.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Poteet
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I are through mission 7 with 2 players and have yet to lose a game. We are actually concerned that the opposite is true, the game is much easier with 2 than with 4. I think 2 is going to honestly be the weird middle ground where things may be difficult
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMT644 wrote:
My friend and I are through mission 7 with 2 players and have yet to lose a game. We are actually concerned that the opposite is true, the game is much easier with 2 than with 4. I think 2 is going to honestly be the weird middle ground where things may be difficult


It could be it would be just easy for you with 4 also. Since it's targeting a fairly mass audience, I generally expect the default difficulty to be too low for experienced gamers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EMT644 wrote:
My friend and I are through mission 7 with 2 players and have yet to lose a game. We are actually concerned that the opposite is true, the game is much easier with 2 than with 4. I think 2 is going to honestly be the weird middle ground where things may be difficult


I'd be curious what your experience is with the hard mode - it sounds like you two are our target audience there, assuming you'd even be interested in revisiting it once you finish.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.