Subject: Russia's Trolling Us rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting article in Trump's son-in-law's publication, The Observer, about how various Russians seem to actually want Alaska back. One suggestion (how serious? no idea) even is if the US gives Alaska back to Russia, Russian will relinquish Crimea.

http://observer.com/2016/10/on-alaska-day-russians-still-dre...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's more about creating a narrative of Russia being permanently hard-done-by by other countries, especially the US, for centuries than actually wanting the return of the province.

The Observer wrote:
There are signs that Putin shares these beliefs.

Except of course that in the example given he jokes about the possibility rather than supporting the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throughout the 1500 to the late 1800's Russia was growing by hunderders of square km per day/week or month. They were aggressively expanding right into California:

This stamp comemorates that event. The Russian River valley - now famous for its wines - with the capital called Sebastopol has those names for a reason. This expansion into North America was less successful than the bit into Alaska but very much the reason why the Alaska purchase was negotiated. After all, in the early 19th century, most of the American west was in a way unclaimed - except by native americans - same as the eastern part of the Russian Federation. Russian settlement was a very real risk.

The alarmist Observer article though lacks credibility. The sign they refer to - according to my Russian colleagues - says something else than the Observer claims it says. It actually says: For the edification of our descendents. We are so good we got Crimea back - its up to you to do the same for Alaska. Russia is actually rather precise in observing treaties they sign - the references to wanting Alaska back is more of a joke or a jibe.

Its not much different from the notorious debate between the US and the Duke of Westminister that owns the land of the US embassy in London. The US insisted he sell to them - he said only on condition you return the lands your revolutionary government took from my family (i.e. most of Maine, large parts of New York and the state of Virginia). Obviously this wasnt taken seriously and you shouldnt take these kind of remarks any more seriously than that either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
TrustyJules wrote:
Obviously this wasnt taken seriously and you shouldnt take these kind of remarks any more seriously than that either.

To be clear, I don't take this seriously. That's why I said "Russia's trolling us" and didn't say "Russia's THREATENING us."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One suggestion (how serious? no idea) even is if the US gives Alaska back to Russia, Russian will relinquish Crimea.

The main point of your post is based on the mis-translation of what it says on that sign. The article is full of further misinformation - there is no trolling - a misplaced form of pattriotism more like. I didnt dissect your link in detail in my reply but also the reference to Putin somehow making a remark in that sense is wrong. Some sycophant raised it and he brushed it aside with what Russians would say is a laugh though in the US you would likely mis-identify it as an evil smirk.

The only one trolling here is the Observer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
TrustyJules wrote:
Quote:
One suggestion (how serious? no idea) even is if the US gives Alaska back to Russia, Russian will relinquish Crimea.

The main point of your post is based on the mis-translation of what it says on that sign. The article is full of further misinformation - there is no trolling - a misplaced form of pattriotism more like. I didnt dissect your link in detail in my reply but also the reference to Putin somehow making a remark in that sense is wrong. Some sycophant raised it and he brushed it aside with what Russians would say is a laugh though in the US you would likely mis-identify it as an evil smirk.

The only one trolling here is the Observer.

The article isn't to be taken seriously, but the translation is more of a free translation than a mistranslation, and not really central to the argument. The problem is, as you point out (and I did too), that many of the examples are clutching at straws ("look, this quirky school play betrays the Kremlin's deep-seated desires of revanchism!").

The funny thing is, as wifwendel points out, that it is published by someone close to Trump, whose so often portrayed as Putin's puppet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.