Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Thren
United States
Whitesville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always liked this game for its simplicity regarding actual ship interaction, movement and the fact that I can create my own pieces. I own Pirates of the Spanish Main, so I could've used those easily, but making my own is my relaxation technique. Here are my directional musings on my desired variant:
1. Flat surface, non-magnetic ships and gameplay
2. Additional pieces such as islands, troops and forts with rules to support
3. Additional nationalities to include Dutch, Portuguese, American, pirate, etc.

Check out the picture section for pics on my components!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really should revisit this little game. Needless to say, I'm very pleased people are enjoying it.

It's genesis was a contest on TheMiniaturesPage.com to make a game whose components could be made from free stuff, like coffee stirrers or what not. I didn't win the contest, but was happy with the game.

Magnetic bases are great because they keep delicate ships in place inside your storage, and I scavenged calendar magnets so they were free. That lead to playing on the vertical surface, which lead to the quirky alternate history setting, which lead to the missing nationalities and lack of a land game. I had some thoughts about what kind of base you could set up on a vertical sea, but that never went anywhere.

Fort rules are certainly a necessity. Historically they present very interesting problems for navies.

I've learned a lot in ten years. I'll have to re-red those rules and see what can be done...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.