Subject: How do you start a TTG group? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello bgg, first time poster here.

I decided to dive into the board gaming world, and ordered a couple of games.

My close friends consist of about 8 people, I don't know if its enough, especially since I want to play some games that require up to 6 people.

How did you guys go about making or joining a group? any tips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joining is easy.

Turn up and be pleasant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TalLavi wrote:
My close friends consist of about 8 people, I don't know if its enough, especially since I want to play some games that require up to 6 people.

Are all these friends willing to play games? I first started playing with my family and tried to enlist some friends, but nobody was very interested. I'd say you need a good core group of 3-4 others besides yourself who are available and want to play.

How often do you want to play? I started playing with my Dad and sons, but we'd only play every 4-6 weeks, which wasn't enough for me. I was able to find some serious folks through Meet Up, and now play once a week.

Are you willing to be the person financing and teaching the games? That may be the case if the other people are not hobby gamers as well. They may have fun, but not be interested enough to buy games themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Like you said, out of the 8 people I have no idea how many people will actually stick to the board games.

I hope it can happen twice a month, preferably on the weekends.

I don't mind paying and teaching others, as long as they won't mind that the only games played are the games I chose.

I hope that out of my 8 friends, ill get a good nucleus of 4 people, and we can expand from there.

What is Meet Up? Keep in mind I am from Israel so if its an app or website that is popular in the US, it might not be available here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you have a local game store, that's the easiest route. It's a place where local people who are interested in gaming will gather. Even if they don't have in-store gaming, there will usually be a bulletin board where you can posts notices of gaming meetings.

If this isn't an option, you can try contacting places like libraries, community centers, or schools. They might be willing to host gaming meetings and if they do, you can plug in to their existing system for announcing events.

Another option is an online site like Meetup.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should pay more attention to locations. I forget what a great international site this is. Meet Up is a website where people who like hobbies and interestes can create groups for other people who like the same things. Dancing, wine tasting...board games. You can even create and host your own for a reasonable amount per month. I live in a pretty small town of around 35 thousand people (MANY more in the surounding areas) and was able to find my group.

Check this out: https://www.meetup.com/topics/israel/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother-in-law and I wanted to play Risk Legacy and knew our spouses wouldn't be interested. We each talked to a couple of friends who we thought would be interested in Risk. After the "campaign" finished, we continued meeting to play other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TalLavi wrote:
Hello bgg, first time poster here.

I decided to dive into the board gaming world, and ordered a couple of games.

When we started our group was 3 people and remained 3 people for about a year.

You have more than enough people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
There's a lot of apathy in my area. ALso the people who do like to play games, sometimes I do not like them so it is not easy to find dedicated core group. Meetups are the best as you can make friends and maybe convince them to play board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it was pretty easy. My brother and two of our friends were already video gamers. I mentioned the idea of board game night and everyone was in. It's usually us four, but once and a while a few others join in. We play about 3-4 times a month. However that may increase shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.