Shaun Z
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
*Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, feel free to move it mods!*

The seller was decently quick to figure out shipping costs and get everything ready to go. I purchases via PayPal with Buyer Protection, but the real issue is that I still really want the game!

I've tried contacting a few times, and he responded once apologizing saying he'd been really busy with family stuff.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cut your loses and run, cancel the order get your money back.

OK I have myself not posted for up to a week due to non gaming issues, but 20 odd days?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
Avatar
mb
slatersteven wrote:
cut your loses and run, cancel the order get your money back.

OK I have myself not posted for up to a week due to non gaming issues, but 20 odd days?


This is what I would do. Send them one last message saying "hey dude ship it tomorrow or I'm cancelling my order and canceling the paypal transaction", and if you don't hear anything cancel the order.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
cut your loses and run, cancel the order get your money back.

OK I have myself not posted for up to a week due to non gaming issues, but 20 odd days?


Or to play devils advocate if you got a bargain this may be what they want so it can be relisted.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
cut your loses and run, cancel the order get your money back.

OK I have myself not posted for up to a week due to non gaming issues, but 20 odd days?


Or to play devils advocate if you got a bargain this may be what they want so it can be relisted.
Then they will it post it anyway, and will just give some lam excuse. But the longer you leave it the more likely it is you will not be able to get your money back (i believe even PayPal has a time limit).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

You definitely should make one more attempt before canceling the order given that I think you really, really, want this game.

1) I would geek mail some of the other auction winners and ask if they received their games. If they did then you just happen to be dealing with a seller who means good but is having trouble setting aside time to ship out all the games especially if there were a dozen or more winners. Life issues can disrupt the best intentions especially if there was a death in a family. The last thing you want to be is a jerk when a temporary setback has messed up the seller.

2) Secondly, in your reminder it will do you good to explain why you need this game shipped now. It may be for a upcoming gift you had in mind or a promise you made to a friend. When you personalize your situation you stand a greater chance of getting the seller's attention and you off his back.

3) Lastly, you can threaten to withdraw your bid within 24 hours but in all likelihood this will only benefit the seller and cause you never to get the game. Better to say how important this game is to you and when can you expect the seller to deliver it. That's when you hold him to his promise in an immediate followup.

Good luck. I hope the two of you get to resolve this.


13 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Hmm, I'm a bit more forgiving than most, though it really depends on the situation. Really, if you're not willing to let it ride (benefit of the doubt and what have you), the only other option is to politely request a refund and cancellation. Harassing someone or getting upset at them is really only likely to move you down the list of things they feel like dealing with, sad as that is to say.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Z
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
chiefsachem wrote:

You definitely should make one more attempt before canceling the order given that I think you really, really, want this game.

1) I would geek mail some of the other auction winners and ask if they received their games. If they did then you just happen to be dealing with a seller who means good but is having trouble setting aside time to ship out all the games especially if there were a dozen or more winners. Life issues can disrupt the best intentions especially if there was a death in a family. The last thing you want to be is a jerk when a temporary setback has messed up the seller.

2) Secondly, in your reminder it will do you good to explain why you need this game shipped now. It may be for a upcoming gift you had in mind or a promise you made to a friend. When you personalize your situation you stand a greater chance of getting the seller's attention and you off his back.

3) Lastly, you can threaten to withdraw your bid within 24 hours but in all likelihood this will only benefit the seller and cause you never to get the game. Better to say how important this game is to you and when can you expect the seller to deliver it. That's when you hold him to his promise in an immediate followup.

Good luck. I hope the two of you get to resolve this.


That was my main thought, it's entirely possible that he/she has been literally unable to do anything about it yet..

I really appreciate your suggestions though, and I think I'll take this route and see what happens!

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
burnface wrote:
chiefsachem wrote:

You definitely should make one more attempt before canceling the order given that I think you really, really, want this game.

1) I would geek mail some of the other auction winners and ask if they received their games. If they did then you just happen to be dealing with a seller who means good but is having trouble setting aside time to ship out all the games especially if there were a dozen or more winners. Life issues can disrupt the best intentions especially if there was a death in a family. The last thing you want to be is a jerk when a temporary setback has messed up the seller.

2) Secondly, in your reminder it will do you good to explain why you need this game shipped now. It may be for a upcoming gift you had in mind or a promise you made to a friend. When you personalize your situation you stand a greater chance of getting the seller's attention and you off his back.

3) Lastly, you can threaten to withdraw your bid within 24 hours but in all likelihood this will only benefit the seller and cause you never to get the game. Better to say how important this game is to you and when can you expect the seller to deliver it. That's when you hold him to his promise in an immediate followup.

Good luck. I hope the two of you get to resolve this.


That was my main thought, it's entirely possible that he/she has been literally unable to do anything about it yet..

I really appreciate your suggestions though, and I think I'll take this route and see what happens!

Thanks :)
Keep us informed, I will be interested to see if your "understanding" ends up meaning you leave it too late.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Z
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
slatersteven wrote:
Keep us informed, I will be interested to see if your "understanding" ends up meaning you leave it too late.


I will, it will be interesting indeed....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth checking on the PayPal deadline (90 days?), that's something you don't want to miss.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Z
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
indigopotter wrote:
It's worth checking on the PayPal deadline (90 days?), that's something you don't want to miss.


Looks like it's been increased to 180 days now? So that'd be good I guess.. Not that I'd wait 6 months...

https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/en_AT/ua/pdf/buyerpr...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
I'm in the "cancel and get your money back" camp. I think its irresponsible and disrespectful to put items for sale if you aren't going to ship them out in 2-3 days (unless you have a notice about delayed shipping in the listing.) Unless your mom/wife has died (or maybe your kid, I guess), then a week is inexcusable, let alone 20 days.

With that said, if you got a really good deal I can see how you would want to wait.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually did have something come up once where shortly after a sale our family had a medical emergency and my wife had to be hospitalized.

Within a couple of days I had geekmailed the people that bought to advise them that I would be unable to ship for about a week or so. I said if they wanted to reverse the purchase as a result, I'd do that. They all said it was fine, and I got the stuff out about a week and a half later.

Now, if someone died or something, I might not give any thought to BGG for a while. But 20+ days is more than a little bit.

UNLESS the seller is in the Southeast US and is in a Hurricane Matthew affected area. That could explain a 20+ day absence.

But I agree with the others -- send a polite ultimatum, and if you want give it a few days if you want to seem generous. But be clear -- respond or ship by X day, or I will protest via paypal.

Sorry you are going through this, but at least you have remedies.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Z
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Alright so the game is cheaper new on Amazon as of yesterday at 50% off.. A historical low.

Now I'd rather just get there, but then what if he ships? Don't need two copies..

[Edit]
Alright I messaged via a 'dispute' through paypal and kindly asked for a refund. If I can get it for the same price brand new with 2-day shipping, that makes sense. I was originally wanting by Nov 1st for a gift anyway, but had started to give up on that..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Z
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Final update, the seller canceled the geekmarket order and initiated the refund through PayPal. He was very nice and apologetic through the process and everything's good.

I purchased from Amazon, and I'll have it in my hands tomorrow

Thank you all for your advice on this!
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.