Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky Coin Tile wrote:
Defeat an even-strength Monster. If the next Monster is even, repeat the process.

Straightforward so far. Encounter a 4, defeat it using the coin, then encounter a 7, streak stopped, discard the coin.

But wait:

Lucky Coin Rules section wrote:
You can ignore an even-strength Monster and keep the Lucky Coin. If the next Monster you face is also even-strength and is not defeated by another piece of Equipment, defeat it and continue this way until you face an odd-strength Monster. The Lucky Coin is then discarded.

"Ignore"? Also, the way that is written, it implies that you must use the coin on an even-strength Monster if you encounter on right after you choose to save the coin. Weird. The rules clarification and example seem to apply the "ignoring" as an ability of the coin, when the original rules are just trying to show that you aren't obligated to use the Coin.

Here is what I think the rules are trying to say: You are never forced to use the Coin on an even Monster. If you do, you continue to defeat even Monsters until you face one that is non-even (some Monsters are neither even nor odd) and then you discard the Coin. Done.

I think this is a translation issue, based on a few other odd wordings. Examples: "Reanimation Bones" are called "Resurrection Jacks" in the rules. In the Charming Flute section, the term "the next Monsters" is used, when it seems to intend "all remaining Monsters."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Bitsch
France
flag msg tools
I think it's a translation issue too. All the french tiles don't use "defeat", but "ignore" ("defeat" is never used).
I think you have understand what the rules wants to say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alflex wrote:
I think it's a translation issue too. All the french tiles don't use "defeat", but "ignore" ("defeat" is never used).
Indeed: please consider "Defeat" and "Ignore" as the same thing. blush

And you got the rule right for the Lucky Coin. It's actually pretty simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Weiner
msg tools
I think this would makes sense, but the example given in the rulebook further confuses things. It says:

Example: You face a Vampire with strength 4 and choose to
ignore it with the Lucky Coin. Then, you face the Demon with
strength 7 and choose to use your Dancing Sword to defeat
it. You can continue to use your Coin: if the next Monster
is even-strength, defeat it. However, if the next Monster is
odd-strength and you can't defeat it with another piece of
Equipment, you must discard your Lucky Coin.

If it's as simple as "once I choose to use the coin, I discard as soon as I face an odd monster" why is the coin kept when the demon (7) comes? Also, why would I have to discard it if the third monster that comes out is odd-strength and I can't defeat it with another piece of equipment? This is all unclear to me. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so let's try this:

Lucky Coin wrote:
Defeat an even-strength Monster. If the next Monster you wouldn't otherwise defeat is even, repeat the process.

Bold text added by me. Would this be correct? I understand it wouldn't fit the tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Croxton
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbw279 wrote:
I think this would makes sense, but the example given in the rulebook further confuses things. It says:

Example: You face a Vampire with strength 4 and choose to
ignore it with the Lucky Coin. Then, you face the Demon with
strength 7 and choose to use your Dancing Sword to defeat
it. You can continue to use your Coin: if the next Monster
is even-strength, defeat it. However, if the next Monster is
odd-strength and you can't defeat it with another piece of
Equipment, you must discard your Lucky Coin.

If it's as simple as "once I choose to use the coin, I discard as soon as I face an odd monster" why is the coin kept when the demon (7) comes? Also, why would I have to discard it if the third monster that comes out is odd-strength and I can't defeat it with another piece of equipment? This is all unclear to me. Any thoughts?

Yeah, the example is what makes it confusing. It sounds like you keep the coin and defeat every even monster as long as you don't lose to an odd monster. But I wouldn't swear to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.