Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you know, in 2015 Thames and Kosmos announced they would be the publisher for Kosmos titles in the US instead of licensing out titles to other publishers.

i sent a message to Thames and Kosmos through their website, and got a reply.

Quote:

Hi Scott,

Thanks for reaching out!

Thames & Kosmos acts as the North American arm of parent company Kosmos in Germany, and you are correct: we just started bringing a selection of Kosmos board games to the US last year. At this time, it is unclear whether or not a reprint or new edition of Pillars of the Earth will occur, however we do understand it’s in high demand. I will pass this suggestion along to our product development team for consideration; we rely heavily on feedback from fans to determine which Kosmos games we bring to the US market.

If you’d like to receive updates on our new releases, I encourage you to sign up for our mailing list here. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Thanks again for taking the time to let us know which games are of interest!

Best,

Lili DeSisto
Marketing Coordinator

Thames & Kosmos
301 Friendship Street
Providence, RI 02903
Toll free: 800-587-2872 x103
Fax: 401-459-6775
www.thamesandkosmos.com

If you want to see a reprint as badly as I do... I suggest you drop them a note as well...

http://www.thamesandkosmos.com/index.php/general-inquiries-f...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing it's a licensing issue that is holding up a reprint, it's been in high demand for quite a while. I'm not sure who (if anyone) owns the rights to make games with the Pillars of the Earth intellectual property.

Again, just speculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wolski
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pseudacris wrote:
I'm guessing it's a licensing issue that is holding up a reprint, it's been in high demand for quite a while. I'm not sure who (if anyone) owns the rights to make games with the Pillars of the Earth intellectual property.

Again, just speculation.

What I've found interesting is that there doesn't seem to be a shortage of supply of the German version; they're selling on Amazon.de for about $30USD (I also found it interesting that the 27.43Euro exchanges as of today for $29.95, which is a typical US price point).

This makes me wonder if there were different contracts for the German language rights and the English language rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Previously that would be true. Pillars was licensed to Mayfair from Kosmos for us distribution in english. The Mayfair license has expired.
Kosmos still prints this in Germany today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wolski
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
Previously that would be true. Pillars was licensed to Mayfair from Kosmos for us distribution in english. The Mayfair license has expired.
Kosmos still prints this in Germany today.

So it makes much more sense that now that Kosmos is doing their own North American distribution getting a reprint is a possibility now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Spanish version licensed and published by Devir is getting constant reprints and has never been OOP since the game came out and priced for about 30 Euro or lower all the time. I doubt it's a problem with the rights.

As a personal experience, my brother got his english copy about two years ago, at a normal price directly from Amazon. I guess it was one of the last ones because it's been constantly OOP pretty much since then and the prices by third party sellers are outrageous ($100 to $150) considering what you actually get. What I don't know is if that last reprint took a long time to go, or if it sold really quickly.

The game is a very good but rather simple engine building and worker placement game (lovely art though), and maybe his current collector value and interest from the niche market lies precisely in its scarcity and high price, but there may not be enough real demand to guarantee that a reprint will be profitable (we're talking abut hundreds or even thousands of copies). Once the game becomes available at a decent price and ceases to be a rare collector's item, many seasoned players will probably pass because it's too simple for them (my FLGS has 3 Devir copies that haven't sold in months), while family or gateway-level gamers may find it too complex or not attractive due to its theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wolski
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
The Spanish version licensed and published by Devir is getting constant reprints and has never been OOP since the game came out and priced for about 30 Euro or lower all the time. I doubt it's a problem with the rights.

As a personal experience, my brother got his english copy from Amazon about two years ago, at a normal price and directly from Amazon, not a third party seller. I guess it was one of the last ones because it's been constantly OOP pretty much since then and the prices are outrageous ($100 to $150) considering what you actually get, but I don't know if that last reprint took a long time to go or if it sold really quickly.

The game is a very good but rather simple engine building and worker placement game (lovely art though), and maybe his current collector value and interest from the niche market lies precisely in its scarcity and high price, but there may not be enough real demand to guarantee that a reprint will be profitable (we're talking about hundreds or even thousands of copies). Once the game becomes available at a decent price and ceases to be a rare collector's item, many seasoned players will probably pass because it's too simple for them (my FLGS has 3 Devir copies that haven't sold in a few months), while family or gateway-level gamers may find it too complex or not attractive due to its theme.

I kind of see this game in the same light as Mission: Red Planet. It was greatly loved by those that played it but once it sold out it took 10 years to get reprinted. I also think Pillars may do well with more of a "2nd edtion" than just a reprint similar to Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition). I think in the 10 years since it was originally released there are probably some new tricks to make it more enjoyable and appealing to current gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
jwski wrote:
mearendil wrote:

As a personal experience, my brother got his english copy from Amazon about two years ago, at a normal price and directly from Amazon, not a third party seller. I guess it was one of the last ones because it's been constantly OOP pretty much since then and the prices are outrageous ($100 to $150) considering what you actually get, but I don't know if that last reprint took a long time to go or if it sold really quickly.

The game is a very good but rather simple engine building and worker placement game (lovely art though), and maybe his current collector value and interest from the niche market lies precisely in its scarcity and high price, but there may not be enough real demand to guarantee that a reprint will be profitable (we're talking about hundreds or even thousands of copies). Once the game becomes available at a decent price and ceases to be a rare collector's item, many seasoned players will probably pass because it's too simple for them (my FLGS has 3 Devir copies that haven't sold in a few months), while family or gateway-level gamers may find it too complex or not attractive due to its theme.

I kind of see this game in the same light as Mission: Red Planet. It was greatly loved by those that played it but once it sold out it took 10 years to get reprinted. I also think Pillars may do well with more of a "2nd edtion" than just a reprint similar to Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition). I think in the 10 years since it was originally released there are probably some new tricks to make it more enjoyable and appealing to current gamers.

I got mine recently (just before it sold out everywhere) and it is one my top 3 games as is. My problem is the expansion was long gone by the time I got the base game, so ideally I want a compatible expansion reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wolski
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
jwski wrote:
mearendil wrote:

I got mine recently (just before it sold out everywhere) and it is one my top 3 games as is. My problem is the expansion was long gone by the time I got the base game, so ideally I want a compatible expansion reprint.

...or, just include the expansion with the reprint. That might be the easiest way to bring back such an "old" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave P
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished printing out my own copy and it looks EXCELLENT.

About $45 before I laminated the board (so maybe $50 total)?

Includes the expansion.

You could go that route...

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Done. I hope this happens! One of my favorite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tivowatcher wrote:
I just finished printing out my own copy and it looks EXCELLENT.

About $45 before I laminated the board (so maybe $50 total)?

Includes the expansion.

You could go that route...

-Dave

Your welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We DID it... or at least we helped!

https://twitter.com/BoardGameGeek/status/819205561417875456
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Great news for many, but I am still waiting on the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.