Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joffrey N.
France
Meyzieu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello folks !

I have some questions for you because as a newbie, I can't really figure it out with my lack of experience in the game (questions previously asked on 1st edition strategy forum, as french one has no 2nd edition, but was suggested to post it here because seems way more active) :

1) How much more units an attacker should have (compared to defender) when besieging a stronghold (double of units, triple ?) ? It looks like there are multiple factors (leadership, companions, combat cards...) for this but for now it's just to have a rough indicator.

2) When would be best to stop besieging (if by any chance, you can't manage to roll many 6s, and Opposite Player slowly begins to kill your units) ?

3) How many units do you leave in a taken stronghold to prevent the other player to claim it back ?

Thanks for your thoughts guys !

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) In general you want to have at least double. You usually want to have 10 army units, unless the stronghold is very lightly defended.

2) This is fairly scenario-specific. But in general, you want to stop if you get below 5 army units. If you aren't rolling the maximum number of dice, then your actions are not efficient. Plus, you do not want to let your army get small enough that the defenders could counter-attack and win.

3) This depends on the stronghold and what the chances are of the free people getting an army there. If the chances are low, I usually leave 1 unit. If the chances are high, then I might leave 3 or more.

For example, if you have taken Erebor, Woodland Realm, and Dale (and Iron Hills and Carrock), it is very difficult for the free people to get a new army up there. So, 1 unit is sufficient. However, if you have taken Helm's Deep, but there are armies in Edoras, Lorien, and Dol Amroth, you should keep a strong army in HD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.