Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott De Regt
Australia
Montville
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an order arrive recently, Power Grid, Ricochet Robots and a small little box of cards that seems to be quite popular around here called Lost Cities.

After reading most of the reviews of this game, there seems to be lots of wonderful information already listed on the 'Geek that probably has just about every aspect of this amazing little card game covered. So why am I doing another review? Well this is my partners and my first Knizia game, and I'd feel terrible not offering my 2c worth.

So if you are familiar with the game already you could probably move along and not miss a whole heap.

Tamara (my beautiful Fiancé) and I have been casual gamers for a while now. She really likes Ticket to Ride: Marklin, Thurn and Taxis and Carcassonne, while I like everything from Descent and Heroscape through to Power Grid, El Grande and Hansa. We would usually play a game of Thurn and Taxis or Ticket to Ride ever other night or so, but we had never found that one game that we were passionate enough to play multiple times every night.

We both grew up playing and loving card games with our respective grand parents. Tamara would play cribbage and hearts with hers, and I had played Gin and 31 almost religiously with my Grandma. The funny thing was, in the 5 and a half years we have been together, we had never owned or played a regular deck of cards. So we thought that we might start looking for a good card game that we could enjoy multiple plays of frequently.

Lost Cities does a wonderful job of filling this gap. Last night was the first night that we both had time to sit down to play a game since it was delivered, so after a brief explanation of the rules we were off.

The game is really easy to pick up, using lots of familiar mechanics that most gamers and non gamers will be able to grasp and manipulate to their advantage quite quickly. The fixed end of the game is controllable to some degree and we found ourselves taking advantage of this in a bigger way than I thought we would. Several times I would have to make tough decisions as a result of potentially having left over, usable cards in my had by the end of the game.

The cards themselves are far nicer than using a regular deck of cards, and I was frequently being frowned upon for taking to much time to take my turn as a result of looking at the card detail. The board is also really pretty, although not really needed if you intend to take the cards on the road with you.

All in all, we are really happy with our first foray into the good doctors world, as is evidenced by our 8 plays last night. I think I might be on the look out for more good Knizia card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.