BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Painting minatures and getting into hero clixs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jerry baker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. I am interested in getting imperial assault and painting the miniatures. is it hard to paint IA?

2. I have never painted miniatures. how do I get started? and were do you get supplies?

3. I also thought about getting into star trek hero clix but have no idea how the game actually plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a load of information on painting miniatures on the net. First check out the BGG wiki on miniatures which has a number of links about painting miniatures.

But the basic advice about painting miniatures is as follows.
1) Remove any mold lines with a needle file.
2) Wash the plastic miniature.
3) Undercoat, I suggest white because you are a beginner.
4) Paint the miniatures. Thare a load of articles about painting on BGG.
4) Varnish the miniature.
6) Think how you are gong to store the miniatures. There are plenty of options (examples on BGG).

I hope this is useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this guy to be very helpful to me when I started painting. I think he even starts with what brushes and paints to buy, goes through several techniques, and shows you how to paint all the kinds of things that will come up as you progress.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0292071C3B38CAC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
bakerid2000 wrote:
1. I am interested in getting imperial assault and painting the miniatures. is it hard to paint IA?

2. I have never painted miniatures. how do I get started? and were do you get supplies?

3. I also thought about getting into star trek hero clix but have no idea how the game actually plays

#1 I don't think they are any harder to paint than standard 27/32mm miniatures.

#2 I would suggest watching some tutorials and maybe even attending a painting workshop at a local store or convention. You also might want to buy a basic paint set and some miniatures you don't care about to practice your technique on.

#3 I wouldn't bother with Star Trek Tactics (the ones with the click bases) You might want to look into Star Trek Attack Wing instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed123play wrote:
There is a load of information on painting miniatures on the net. First check out the BGG wiki on miniatures which has a number of links about painting miniatures.

But the basic advice about painting miniatures is as follows.
1) Remove any mold lines with a needle file.
2) Wash the plastic miniature.
3) Undercoat, I suggest white because you are a beginner.
4) Paint the miniatures. Thare a load of articles about painting on BGG.
4) Varnish the miniature.
6) Think how you are gong to store the miniatures. There are plenty of options (examples on BGG).

I hope this is useful.

Re 1) The great thing about most modern minis is that they are made to a relatively high standard of quality such that you can sometimes skip this step without impacting how the mini looks on the tabletop.

Re 3) I thought the standard advice to beginners was to prime black on the basis that a black primer is more forgiving if you miss a spot during painting?

@OP If you want to get into mini painting, I would highly recommend you get one of the starter kits. They often come with some initial guidance, basic brushes, paints and minis so you have most of what you need to get started just from one relatively cheap set.

Personally, I'm a Reaper fanboy so I would recommend their Learn to Paint kit - https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Learn%20To%20Paint%20...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct with black primer, but it can dull the paint so I recommend white for beginners because what colour you choose is what colour you get, like painting a picture.

I use black and white, it depends on what I am painting. So any figures you want bright colours I always use white. You can always use ink or black line. Through Stormtroopes it might be a good idea (and quicker) to black undercoat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper has two Learn to Paint Kits, the second to be released in a few weeks. Reaper will have a Christmas promotion, although they charge MSRP from their website. Try FRPGames for a lower price on the first kit, although they charge shipping.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71105-learn-to-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.