Sonja Reznikov
Canada
North York
ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of things:
- If this post offends anyone or upsets the publisher, Designers, Artists, please let me know and i shall delete it. This is for Home play only.
I like to thank the designer for making such a great game allowing us to have so many wonderful hours of fun together.

- This variants were made by me few years ago, I like to share them with you to perhaps gives you something to experiment at home. Call it Winter league
Topics here are as follows:
1) Troll Minions and Female General.
2) Hydra Minions and Female General.
3) 4 Heroes (1 Male and 3 Female).
4) One Global Effect- Thick Fog.

Enjoy.

1)Troll Minions and General:

This beautiful female General was once a resident of Monarch City but was expelled from the Capital. Rumor has it she did not accept the King`s hand for wedding, she wanted to live free.

{After being expelled she promised herself to have revenge and destroy the King and the Capital and since she was unable to do it alone she decided to use her only weapon her beauty to get around and in her travels North she ended up in the DEADLANDS. The land of Trolls. She was captured by Troll Guards and brought to their caves. Those creatures never seen a beautiful human so instead of killing her they showed interest in her. She used this moment to draw on a skin an image of sky and herself appearing in Troll lands and this is a message for the trolls that she has come to give them their lands back. So they worshiped her and she became the ruler of them}.

Deadlands is up north connecting with three other territories.
This General marched from North by land and the river and her Troll Minions spread across the realm.

Troll General Card:
Ability to Charm the Heroes (Male and Female). If the hero shared the territory with this female General, The General always rolls first and on the result of 5 or 6 the hero is charmed and taken as captive to DeadLands.

Troll Minions: (Yellow colour in the game)
Do not have alliance with any other Generals.

a (Combat against other Minions-Combat begins when these minions share the territory with other minions and Generals.Roll yellow die for each Troll Minion, do the same with any other type of minion [colour of die match the colour of minion] and follow the success Hit table for Dragonkin, Undead, Orcs and Damon).

b(Combat against other Heroes- The Hero can kill the Troll Minion(s) with a die roll of 4,5 or 6 however if the hero rolls a 1, the number of trolls in the same territory doubles and the tainted land rule applies here.

1) When a hero is charmed by the troll General, what happens to the hero?
Response-The Hero becomes captive and placed in the general starting point.

2) Does the troll General replace one of the 4 generals? or did you use another mechanic for her as a 5th general? If as a 5th general, how does she and the trolls come into play?

Response- Yes, this is correct, you replace the Troll General with the Undead General. i created a location (Dead Lands) on the map in the north part to allow starting point for the Troll General however we have
had sessions which we just replaced the Troll General and her minions with any other generals by just simply removing the starting point for the old general and placing the troll general on the same location, so this way the undead general could also play in a same session as the Troll.
(during setup we just simply exchange yellow minions on the darkness spread cards with the minion colour we are not using).

3)How are fights between the trolls and other minions resolved?

Response- Select a same matching colour of Die for each minion (including yellow die for each Troll minion, roll the dice, look at the number of hit requirement for each type of minion and remove the casualties.

4) Can the player representing the captive hero abandon the hero and start a new hero form Monarch City ?
Response- Yes in that case the captive hero is removed and a Troll piece replace the hero. (The Hero now becomes a mercenary
fighting as a Troll Minion).

5) How does the captive hero become free ?
The Hero remains in the Deadlands and serves the Troll General. The only way out is for other heroes come to rescue by marching to the Dead Lands and kill the Troll Minions occupying the land.
this is a neat system because in a cooperative game If you are playing with us and your hero is now in prison, we have to travel north and rescue you and at the same time we are aware that coming and rescuing you is prohibiting us to defend the realm.

I will keep adding to this post when time and work permits. Edit-Language
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lin
msg tools
mbmbmb
Great backstory for the general. Sorry more technical questions here:

6) Regarding Combat against other Minions, I understand the troll minions are attacked when they share a space with one of the other generals. If a demon, orc, or dragonkin appear on the same space with the Troll general, does she attack them?

7) How many trolls occupy the Dead Lands when a hero is captured? For example, say a hero has already cleared the Dead Lands so there are no more trolls there. When another hero is captured and placed in the Dead Lands, are more trolls put there as well to guard the hero? How many?

8) Unrelated but, where did you get your cool troll minion miniatures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
PICKERING
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for this, I will include these for our next DOT gathering and report back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonja Reznikov
Canada
North York
ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for comment.

6) Regarding Combat against other Minions, I understand the troll minions are attacked when they share a space with one of the other generals. If a demon, orc, or dragonkin appear on the same space with the Troll general, does she attack them?
Response- Yes, Troll Minions fight against them.
Troll General special ability when fighting other minions/General is add +2 to die roll. This may sound she is too powerful or Troll Minions are powerful but at the same time it offers a game session that now can achieve not only cooperative game but also one player act as opponent.
(What I am trying to say is in a 4 player game for example, 3 players can act as heroes and defend the land while one other player can have a different path by becoming Troll General and fight other heroes as well as other Generals).

7) How many trolls occupy the Dead Lands when a hero is captured? For example, say a hero has already cleared the Dead Lands so there are no more trolls there. When another hero is captured and placed in the Dead Lands, are more trolls put there as well to guard the hero? How many?
Response- Yes I have made a Troll Relic card which at the end of all players turn if the Deadland is empty, 2 Troll Guards appear. If the Deadland already has 1 yellow troll, we simply need to add one more.
Always total 2. At the start of the game the troll general begins in Deadland with the original general starting minions (3).

8) Unrelated but, where did you get your cool troll minion miniatures?

I purchased hundreds of them few years back in a Bag. If you PM me with your address i can mail 25 pieces to you at no charge.I have many of them.

Thx-Sonja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonja Reznikov
Canada
North York
ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Home Made Heroes for our gaming group:

Hunter- I used a female Hero for this.
She has 5 round counters associated with her special ability.
Her special ability is to lay Trap counters in any territory she
travels, it is a free action part of her movement action.
The counters are placed on the territory face down and she can activate the traps all at once at any time even on another play turn as long as the Hunter is in the game, if the Hunter is killed, her counters are removed.
After the counters have been revealed the result could be any of the following:
2 of The counters has number 2 on it which means any two minions on that particular territory are now trapped and removed from the game.
2 of the counters has number 1 on it which means any one minion on that particular territory is now trapped and is removed from the game.
1 of the counters has number 0 which means the Trap did not work.

If only the General happen to be on one of the territories with number 1 or 2 counter and no minions, the General takes the wound equal to number on that counter.

Guardian- I used a female hero for this.
Panic ability-When she confronts the Minions and General, she will roll a die equal to the colour of the Minion and for every result of 5 or 6 the minion runs away from the territory. The direction of the minion retreat is towards the minions General starting point.

Scout- I used a female hero for this.
There is a ROAD counter (straight line with black dots similar to the black dots that is on the map connecting one territory to the other) associated with this hero for his special ability.

When this hero travels he and her companions can travel from one territory to another by placing the ROAD counter between the two territory. If it reaches the edge of both territory it means she has found a secret Road.
(on the map you may notice some territories do not connect with others in small distance. This is intended to be used to now allow a new path which originally was not available.

Slayer- I used a male hero for this.
he has the following special abilities:
When 4 Generals are alive and active, he has a 1 Re roll in any combat.
When 3 Generals are alive, in addition to the above ability, he now has
+1 on his lowest die roll.
When 2 Generals are alive, in addition to the above two ability, he now
has +1 on his highest die roll.

Global Effect- Thick Fog.
I created a deck of 44 Cards each card represent one of the Regions on the map. (42 + 1 for deadland and 1 for Kamarak Sands).
Also 3 Fog counters.
In the Evening phase randomly draw one card and place a Fog token on that region. Heroes and Minions and Generals may move in that territory but they are unable to conduct battle and/or move out due to poor visibility.
At day time the Fog counter is removed.

Hopefully I can post my home made images for the heroes and their counters and Hero cards, I am not sure if this is allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.