Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about doing something similar to what Space Alert do, and the first player plays 1 card on his mech, and one on a shared mech?
This will maybe add to the ap of the playing card phase, but will "balance" some mission to the 4 player count.

I will make the shared mech going always last to match the turn order of the players, so the first player will do his, then the other players then the shared mech (played by first player)

Similar thing for the 2 player, but in that case it is probably easier if each player plays 2 mechs (nothing shared).

Will it be feasible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't think it would be fun to run two mechs. There's a decent amount of cognitive load maintaining even 1 mech as you get later in the game. I think it will create 2 much AP to maintain two mech states in your head at the same time. You can certainly do it, but think it will sap the fun. I've played through Mission 3 with just my wife and through Mission 2 with 3 players. I didn't see a huge difference in difficulty between the 2. The biggest difference was in Mission 2 and even then the difference wasn't too bad. Sure in a 2 player game you can cover less ground, but you also have more control over your mech, both in that you can build up your program more quickly and having 2 cards a turn makes it easier to repair damage. Not to spoil anything, but you start taking A LOT of damage in Mission 3 and I think having more resources to repair that damage makes up for being able to cover more ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exposure to the game is limited for me so far -- but I did play mission 0 and 1 with players and it played perfectly fine. I actually kind of liked it, where 1st player got 2 cards and others got 1. We ramped out quickly, but not fast. After about 2 go arounds, are mechs are pretty darn powerful -- by the end of mission 1, we were in position where 2 of 3 mechs were on minion duty and we practically cleared the entire board every turn. Needless to say, we strolled in for an easy win.

I can see how 2 mechs might be difficult in future scenarios, but don't discount the ramping effects of playing with less than 4. Grabbing something and set it at power 2 immediately is crazy good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.