Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilkins Chow
Hong Kong
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have just found the game of the year. cool

Don't get misled by the rule book. (It should add a summary!)
The game is not that complicated than it seems.
I managed to teach this game to my friends (casual players) without problems.
The first game took 3 hours for 4 players.
The other games finished within 2 hours for 3 players.

There are several mechanisms mixed in this game.
Generally I don't like this kind of mechanism salad but it just works very well. It provides many interesting choices and multiple paths to victory.

The real gem in this game is that you need to think about the speed you move to the Kansas City. If you move slowly, you can use more actions on the buildings along the way but it takes more turns to reach the city for the big bonus. If you move too fast, you may end up with 'bad' cattle to sell in the city and may lose points. So it's quite different from the other engine-building games which usually more actions/faster movement means better.

There are also enough player interaction in this game, especially when you start to understand the position to place your buildings, and how you can ruin other players' plans.

Overall, I love this game and I will give a solid 8 for this game.
Probably will give a higher score after more game when I will be more confident that there is not a dominant strategy.

8.5 now as I am sure there is not a dominant strategy!
At least there are three strategies(Cowboy, Engineers & Builders), which are all powerful against good players.
Also there are much more player interactions when we got familiar with the game. We just did nasty moves against each other ruining their plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
The real gem in this game is that you need to think about the speed you move to the Kansas City. If you move slowly, you can use more actions on the buildings along the way but it takes more turns to reach the city for the big bonus. If you move too fast, you may end up with 'bad' cattle to sell in the city and may lose points. So it's quite different from the other engine-building games which usually more actions/faster movement means better.

There are also enough player interaction in this game, especially when you start to understand the position to place your buildings, and how you can ruin other players' plans.

I agree, this is what I like most about the game. It feels fresh. The deck-building I don't care for, but it's just one mechanism among many.

Excellent game. Probably my top of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, the whole tempo issue is a very intriguing element of GWT. My broad strokes sense after a handful of plays is that you want to move quickly if your deck has high valued cows and slowly if it doesn't.

I think a great strength of the game is that there appear to be radically different strategies that can win- you can really focus on some areas and ignore others completely. We first thought that cattle and thus cowboys were overpowered, until we saw someone ignore cowboys completely and crush with a builder strategy that focused on moving up the rails. He scored 127 points, only 3 of which were from cattle (only ever bought two 3 value cows). I've also seen ribbons used to great effect in order to circumvent the need for cattle. There is so much going on here!! Totally game of the year and likely another classic like Mombasa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.