Debbie Moynihan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Top Magic and Star Realms players will compete in the Epic World Championship. Check it out!

http://www.epiccardgame.com/top-magic-and-star-realms-player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, was this because there weren't enough regular qualifying events around the world and you had to ask pros to come in because you wanted to fill the 64 slots? I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to invite the pros, just curious.

And second question, would you consider inviting me? I'm an independently funded connoisseur of Epic who apparently cannot qualify through normal means (0-5 at various qualifiers)? lol. Everyone who has already qualified would probably love this decision. I definitely know that people who are playing for money would rather play me than a pro Magic player

Just sayin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not right. The rest of the people in the 'tournament' worked hard to qualify. Now, less than a month before the event, WWG decides to give a bunch of their friends a free pass in? I knew in advance I would not have the chance to go, and I'm kind of glad now. I agree with a comment I saw on the Facebook page, this is a slap in the face to the people who deserve to be there. If this is how they are going to run things, I'm out. WWG won't get another penny from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
scarecrowking wrote:
This is not right. The rest of the people in the 'tournament' worked hard to qualify. Now, less than a month before the event, WWG decides to give a bunch of their friends a free pass in? I knew in advance I would not have the chance to go, and I'm kind of glad now. I agree with a comment I saw on the Facebook page, this is a slap in the face to the people who deserve to be there. If this is how they are going to run things, I'm out. WWG won't get another penny from me.

Speaking personally: I'm sorry you feel this way, and I hope you reconsider. We expect that these additional players will make for a better event, and will help to spread the word about the event, about Epic, and about the White Wizards Game Fair in general.

Either way, thanks for giving our products a chance.

- Nathan Davis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm very sorry that people have felt slighted by this. Events like this are created with the primary goal of growing the community for a game. Yes we want to reward our players with the chance of a large payday, but we also want others to see the game and see how good it is.

We're a small company, and our primary goal is to grow the Epic Card Game community. Players love our game, and we want to make it easier for everyone to find opponents in their local gaming community. Inviting people that have a following in the gaming community is not something we invented, and it's a decision we did not make lightly. This will help to grow the Epic community.

Ultimately we want to do what's best for the game. I can promise you that these special invites didn't take a slot from anyone. We will most likely fill the event, but as of writing this, we still have five slots that are unclaimed. if your store wants to run a qualifier, email me at events@whitewizardgames.com and I will try to make that happen!

The World Championships will be an amazing time. I am working very hard on making sure it runs smoothly, and creates the kinds of moments that people talk about. The team assigned to the Game Fair is similarly passionate. We know the attendees are going to have an amazing time, because we have put the talent and experience of about a hundred years of gaming towards this goal.

We never intended to disparage the hard work of the already-qualified players, and I'm not sure that we did (though I can't really tell people how they should feel about this).

I understand that people are taken aback, and even upset by the announcement. I ask that you take a day or so to think about it, rather than tie yourselves to an emotional response today. We all want what's best for the game. We really do.

Communities like this have always been the lifeblood for gaming in the modern era. We absolutely, 100%, without question appreciate all of you. We need you to know that.

Thanks,

Ian Taylor
Director of Organized Play
White Wizard Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atalay Ileri
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Copying from my Facebook comment:
"I don't think this is fair for all other people who play in tournaments to win a spot. I acknowledge that they are potentially strong players but they should've go through same process to earn a spot. There should be 64 qualifiers and if they are interested in the game, they should join one and win (which I think is a high probability). From my perspective, this is almost equivalent to saying "Here is guaranteed $500, come play with us so that we can get more publicity." Good advertisement move but a bad one to do it over world championship.

You could do it "under the table". Paying them to publicize Epic and be active in the community. And if they want to invest their time, they could get qualified and play in the world championship."

This sealed the deal for me. As a person really interested in the game and put some effort in its early days to create an active community (Currently most active online community, A blog dedicated to Epic and a certain file that allows you to play online etc.), I've seen couple of decisions that the company made. Although they were not deal breakers just by themselves, Each new one gave clearer picture on how they will proceed in the future. Now I think I have clear enough picture to be able to say that it is a direction that I don't personally support. I will probably check the game from time to time and maybe come back into it in the future if I think their approach is changed.

On the other hand, I understand their needs for marketing and making game more popular. From their side, this may be a reasonable move because it will upset some people in the current player base but potentially bring in many new players who don't know / don't care about this issue. I believe there could be other ways this approach would work but for some reasons (probably time constraints and they couldn't organize as many widespread qualifiers as they want) they chose to take this route. I believe I understand the rationale behind this decision but do not agree with it personally.

I wish enjoyable games for everyone who will keep playing and starting. I hope you will have a great tournament and, most importantly, have fun playing Epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
IanWWG wrote:
I can promise you that these special invites didn't take a slot from anyone.
Nope, just $25,000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
IanWWG wrote:
I can promise you that these special invites didn't take a slot from anyone.
Nope, just $25,000.

And then they will go back to playing Magic and never touch an Epic card ever again. Brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaos Kamoudis
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait for the results of the tournament...and then we can all judge.
I also make small events in my local store with mtg players because they adapt to game very quick.
Too bad that in greece no retailer sell Epic only yugi and mtg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japhet
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I personally have no objection to this move. They're throwing a tournament with their own money for the sake of growing the game (and hopefully profiting). They should do everything they can to make this tournament a success, both for the participants, viewers, the players, and the game as a whole.

The only thing they could have done better is if they had announced this decision at the same time as they announced the tournament. That way people could better gauge their chances of winning before committing time and effort to participating.

That aside, it really wouldn't be much of a tournament w/o the pros there. I'm looking forward to attending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice White
msg tools
mbmbmb
Pseudohuman wrote:
Copying from my Facebook comment:
"I don't think this is fair for all other people who play in tournaments to win a spot. I acknowledge that they are potentially strong players but they should've go through same process to earn a spot. There should be 64 qualifiers and if they are interested in the game, they should join one and win (which I think is a high probability). From my perspective, this is almost equivalent to saying "Here is guaranteed $500, come play with us so that we can get more publicity." Good advertisement move but a bad one to do it over world championship.

You could do it "under the table". Paying them to publicize Epic and be active in the community. And if they want to invest their time, they could get qualified and play in the world championship."

This sealed the deal for me. As a person really interested in the game and put some effort in its early days to create an active community (Currently most active online community, A blog dedicated to Epic and a certain file that allows you to play online etc.), I've seen couple of decisions that the company made. Although they were not deal breakers just by themselves, Each new one gave clearer picture on how they will proceed in the future. Now I think I have clear enough picture to be able to say that it is a direction that I don't personally support. I will probably check the game from time to time and maybe come back into it in the future if I think their approach is changed.

On the other hand, I understand their needs for marketing and making game more popular. From their side, this may be a reasonable move because it will upset some people in the current player base but potentially bring in many new players who don't know / don't care about this issue. I believe there could be other ways this approach would work but for some reasons (probably time constraints and they couldn't organize as many widespread qualifiers as they want) they chose to take this route. I believe I understand the rationale behind this decision but do not agree with it personally.

I wish enjoyable games for everyone who will keep playing and starting. I hope you will have a great tournament and, most importantly, have fun playing Epic.

roborob wrote:
And then they will go back to playing Magic and never touch an Epic card ever again. Brilliant.

Agree with these whole-heartedly. Pretty much said everything I wanted to say. You guys upset by this are definitely not alone. I can personally vouch for 6 others who hate this including myself. "Among other things."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alyiz wrote:
I can personally vouch for 6 others who hate this including myself. "Among other things."

If you want to share with me the other things you hate, I am listening.

I get that you (and some others) aren't happy about the invited-player group. That isn't changing; we aren't uninviting people. The expected attention has already started, but we probably could have made more announcements sooner (at a minimum).

We care. If there are other issues, I'd be happy to hear about them too. Maybe we've just lost you as a customer full-stop. That happens sometimes; we'll be sorry to see you go. But if we can address other issues, maybe we make the game better for everyone else.

You can reply, or you can send me a board message. Thanks.

- Nathan Davis
White Wizard Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nándor Gáspár
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me note that this kind of invitation system is a very common thing.
Just as an example: Faeria is a digital card game which invited professional Hearthstone players for its first major tournament (and the price was also money).

I totally understand the reason behind this and I find nothing against it.
The game will get more attention which can yield to potentially more players. This is very good for the community anyways.
Yes, the qualified players did this in the hard way but they have more knowledge and experience too.

The only thing that makes me upset is that I didn't get a chance to qualify because the lack of players in my area. So I hope that this community continues to grow and I hope that there will be some kind of streaming / recording from the main event. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice White
msg tools
mbmbmb
NathanWWG wrote:
Alyiz wrote:
I can personally vouch for 6 others who hate this including myself. "Among other things."

If you want to share with me the other things you hate, I am listening.

I get that you (and some others) aren't happy about the invited-player group. That isn't changing; we aren't uninviting people. The expected attention has already started, but we probably could have made more announcements sooner (at a minimum).

We care. If there are other issues, I'd be happy to hear about them too. Maybe we've just lost you as a customer full-stop. That happens sometimes; we'll be sorry to see you go. But if we can address other issues, maybe we make the game better for everyone else.

You can reply, or you can send me a board message. Thanks.

- Nathan Davis
White Wizard Games

I don't think anyone is under the impression anything we have issues with will change. That's probably why some have quit already.

And the other issue is still Kark except now this is being verified by multiple other parties independently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about this subject, and I think it is the timing of the announcement that didn't sit well with me. I'm not a tournament player of any games, really, and I had no idea this is a common occurrence. Now, after a few days to think, I believe that if WWG had made these intentions clear at the beginning of 'tournament season' it would have gone over better.

I'd like to apologize to Nathan, Ian, and the rest of the WWG folks. I should have thought about it for a bit before posting what I did. I was wrong. I'm still going to play, and I hope Worlds blows it out of the water for you guys.

Now get off your asses and make Sea Hydra t-shirts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.