Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
Four more years! #Cespedes #LGM
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite having played a number of Lovecraft-themed games and being an avid reader, I have never read a single work by Lovecraft. If one were to pick just a single tome, which would it be. I'm not looking for a chapter or a short story, but rather one good Lovecraft book that will give me a sense of what he's all about and provide context for the games.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Fiction-H-P-Lovecraft/dp/078... Has the lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be controversial, but I'm of the view that other people do far more interesting things with the Lovecraftian mythos than Lovecraft himself.

If you like comics, Alan Moore's Yuggoth Cultures and Other Growths is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dredging my memory back to my CoC days... It might be hard to find a single long work. I remember getting stuff in collections with maybe a novella at the front and a number of short stories.

I'd suggest one of:
At the Mountains of Madness
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Why narrow it to a publication when everything's so freely available. If you don't mind reading from a web browser, Dagon Bytes has it all:
http://dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/index.html

If you prefer an e-reader, you can download the complete works here:
http://arkhamarchivist.com/free-complete-lovecraft-ebook-noo...

If you insist on paper, you can get it here for under $20 before shipping:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-cl...

For a taste of Lovecraft, today I'd recommend:
The Shadow over Insmouth
The Lurking Fear
Pickman's Model

Ask next week and I'm sure I'll have a different list, but I think those give a sense of the world of Lovecraft inspired games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE the theme, even though it is overdone. However, I haven't read any Lovecraft. "Call of Cthulhu" is collecting dust in my Kindle library...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Nie pretty book thats sits well on the game shelves:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He has written some quite distinct novels both theme wise and regarding style.

If it's got to be a longer one:

The Shadow Over Innsmouth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

$18?!?! I'm down for that!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

$18?!?! I'm down for that!!!

I actually got mine on sale for $10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
This may be controversial, but I'm of the view that other people do far more interesting things with the Lovecraftian mythos than Lovecraft himself.

Totally agree. I have an entire book shelf devoted to weird fiction, ranging from Lord Dunsany to Thomas Ligotti, and not a single solitary work of Lovecraft to be found.

His greatest contribution to the genre were his ideas and his lax views on copyright, not his writing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
Despite having played a number of Lovecraft-themed games and being an avid reader, I have never read a single work by Lovecraft. If one were to pick just a single tome, which would it be. I'm not looking for a chapter or a short story, but rather one good Lovecraft book that will give me a sense of what he's all about and provide context for the games.

Thanks!

Most of the stuff in the games that you are enjoying was only ever briefly touched upon by Lovecraft. Instead, the stuff you are enjoying is primarily based on the larger mythos tales created and elaborated upon by a host of authors working within and beyond the Lovecraft circle.

Check out the Chaosium books edited by Robert M. Price. The mythos Cycle books contain Lovecraft's stories, but they also contain the stories by all the other authors that have made the mythos the pop culture power that it is today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very much agree with "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" as a starter. In terms of sheer horror, atmosphere, AND an introduction to some of the basic tropes of the C'thulhu Mythos, this is his best--a longish short story (maybe, technically, a novella). If you read this one, "The Call of C'thulhu", "The Dunwich Horror," and "At the Mountains of Madness," you can consider yourself more than adequately "schooled" in the original, canonical Lovecraft mythos. After that, there are many, MANY stories in this world by countless writers, from Stephen King to Neil Gaiman to Charles Stross to Joyce Carol Oates. Some of them are far better in terms of just sheer writing than HPL--he was kind of a hack. A prolific, deeply racist, conservative, antiquity-obsessed, neurotic, hag-ridden hack with a brilliant imagination. If you want to go to the source, start with these, all easily and freely available.

My current favorite contemporary "Lovecraftian" works are Victor LaValle's "The Ballad of Black Tom," followed by Elizabeth Bear's "Shoggoths in Bloom," both of which deal head-on with the endemic racism in HPL's works in very different but equally brilliant ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the rapid-fire responses. I think that what I am after is what Habilis described, above, as "an introduction to some of the basic tropes of the C'thulhu Mythos," rather than a deep dive.

I'll start with Innsmouth and see where that takes me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was at the age where I read all the horror books I could get my hands on, Lovecraft was the one author I failed to track down. His stuff simply wasn't available in any book shops and online sales were in their infancy. So my first introductions to the Cthulhu mythos was via Brian Lumley's Titus Crow series, which I enjoyed.

Now they are easily available everywhere, but my reading has slowed right down, so I still haven't read any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
Why narrow it to a publication when everything's so freely available. If you don't mind reading from a web browser, Dagon Bytes has it all:
http://dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/index.html

If you insist on paper, you can get it here for under $20 before shipping:

For a taste of Lovecraft, today I'd recommend:
The Shadow over Insmouth
The Lurking Fear
Pickman's Model

Ask next week and I'm sure I'll have a different list, but I think those give a sense of the world of Lovecraft inspired games.

Thanks for that link to the kindle e-book. I have a ton of the small, older paperbacks that I picked up at a used book store when I was a teen, but they are starting to show their age so nice to have them on a kindle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
Why narrow it to a publication when everything's so freely available.

[/url]

Now THAT was a helpful response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd argue that some of Lovecraft's shorter stories are a good way to see if you like his style and substance with "no obligation to buy in" to the longer ones. Try:

From Beyond
The Outsider
Pickman's Model
The Unnameable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Resist the Kakistocracy
United States
Innsmouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Totally agree. I have an entire book shelf devoted to weird fiction, ranging from Lord Dunsany to Thomas Ligotti, and not a single solitary work of Lovecraft to be found.

His greatest contribution to the genre were his ideas and his lax views on copyright, not his writing.

This guy needs to post a weird tales "greatest hits" recommended reading list...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:

Thanks!

Most of HPL's work is shorter stories, he was selling to pulp magazines who required this. Some of the longer stories were rejected and didn't see publication until later in life or even after his death. Basically, pick up anything you can find, there are various anthologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adverb wrote:
D_Davis wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

This guy needs to post a weird tales "greatest hits" recommended reading list...

Oh boy...that's a tall order.

My favorites are:

A. Merritt's "The People of the Pit"
Lord Dunsany's The Gods of Pagana
Arthur Machen's "The Great God Pan"
Robert W. Chamber's "The Repairer of Reputations" - this is probably my favorite short story ever written
Michael Cisco's The Divinity Student
Thomas Ligotti's "The Red Tower" and "The Frolic"
David Morell's "Orange is for Anguish, Blue for Insanity"
Lovecraft "Rats in the Walls"

A really great collection is The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories, edited by the Vandermeers. Over 1,000 pages of great weird tales. Good place to start to find some favorites to explore more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the Google Play store and search for 'Cthulhoid'. It has pretty much every one of his works, and it's free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:

Thanks!

I tried reading Lovecraft after playing many Lovecraft games... probably the worst books I've ever read. I read Call of Cthulhu and Shadow of Innsmouth and the pure horror was not what was in the book but actually reading the book itself... I tossed Shadow over Innsmouth on the grill to burn it away from this material plane after I was done with it because of the agony it caused me.

Everything is horrible... ALWAYS! Why? I don't know... it just is. (every Lovecraft description of anything).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Gastonia,
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
probably the worst books I've ever read. I read Call of Cthulhu and Shadow of Innsmouth and the pure horror was not what was in the book but actually reading the book itself...

Absolutely agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Resist the Kakistocracy
United States
Innsmouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"A Colder War" is a good Cthulhu-inspired novella.

Project Koschei...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.