$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Set up tips and organizer tips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys, just got the base game and while i'm stupid excited to play, I'm still in the process of sorting and sleeving it all.

1) Any tips for setup/tear down? This game seems like it can ge out of hand if you don't organize correctly.

2) What do you use to mark the dividers that come in the base game? I'm thinking of using them to sort all the master minds/initial decks/bystanders/etc., but I'm wondering if plain sharpie will stay on the divider and not rub off.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Boon
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) No tips, just keep it well organized. Some good dividers will definitely help.
2) I don't use the dividers provided by Upperdeck. Check out the different file sections for custom dividers, there are a lot of great designed ones; I use those made by Finnsea.

Have fun!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jreilly89 wrote:
Hey guys, just got the base game and while i'm stupid excited to play, I'm still in the process of sorting and sleeving it all.

1) Any tips for setup/tear down? This game seems like it can ge out of hand if you don't organize correctly.

2) What do you use to mark the dividers that come in the base game? I'm thinking of using them to sort all the master minds/initial decks/bystanders/etc., but I'm wondering if plain sharpie will stay on the divider and not rub off.


Itll probably rub off, eventually.

If you check the Files section, there are a TON of dividers that you can print off and use. There is also labels that can be printed and placed just on the dividers that are supplied to you.

I suggest browsing through the Files section and finding what suits you and your needs the best.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Also...if youre able to, just leave the game setup and dont tear it down. I like to leave Legendary set up with the Sidekicks, Officers, starting hand, Wounds, Bystanders. I only put away the Heroes/Villains.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heisey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Develop a system and stick to it. I use four categories: heroes, masterminds, villains/henchmen, and other. Some people use others. Figure out what works for you, but use it 100%.
2. I use sharpies. Printing dividers is expensive (I don't have a printer, so I'd have to pay to do it at the library), so I just use what comes with them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
Also...if youre able to, just leave the game setup and dont tear it down. I like to leave Legendary set up with the Sidekicks, Officers, starting hand, Wounds, Bystanders. I only put away the Heroes/Villains.


Wow, that would be great if I could do that, but...small children.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ignore the dividers from the base game. If you get expansions, you'll run out quickly. There are lots of custom dividers that people have made and posted in the Files section. You'll find that good dividers will go a long way in helping organize the game. If you find a style you like, make sure they've published updates for the expansions as well. Nothing is worse than printing and cutting a bunch of dividers only to find that they only made them for the base game and the first few expansions.

Once you have good dividers, just keep cards together in groups, so all your heroes are together (with their own dividers) in a row, villains are in a section, masterminds, etc.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
If you find a style you like, make sure they've published updates for the expansions as well. Nothing is worse than printing and cutting a bunch of dividers only to find that they only made them for the base game and the first few expansions.


Lookin at you, aclheaxn
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
1) There is no holy grail, although once you have a few expansions it would be viable to have a number of pre-made hero decks and maybe even scheme / MM / villain deck setups pre-made for a few games. Ultimately though, there's no perfect solution to this one...

2) Mine remain pristine because I'm like that - because you might want to reorganise entirely as you buy more expansions I'd recommend a temporary rather than permanent solution. Ironically, the best time to organise Legendary will be when you lose interest in buying more of it, which probably means losing interest in the game. As a personal recommendation, use removeable stickers or the adhesive part at the top of post-it notes - allowing you to replace them whenever you need to, as well as making it an option to put a sticker on the back (black) side too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like everyone else here has said, keep things organized, use labeled dividers (I just used a regular ballpoint pen on the dividers that came with the game) and you'll be fine.

My wife and I prefer having random setups instead of choosing which heroes/villians/etc we use, and we've found that using a randomizer makes setup much quicker. We use the one I linked below, but there are plenty others out there if you aren't a fan of this one. It gives me really simple setup instructions and makes setup go much quicker.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ctgilley.m...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jemjar wrote:
As a personal recommendation, use removeable stickers or the adhesive part at the top of post-it notes - allowing you to replace them whenever you need to, as well as making it an option to put a sticker on the back (black) side too.


Not a bad idea, cheers!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Also...if youre able to, just leave the game setup and dont tear it down. I like to leave Legendary set up with the Sidekicks, Officers, starting hand, Wounds, Bystanders. I only put away the Heroes/Villains.


Wow, that would be great if I could do that, but...small children.


Haha, same. I would love to leave it set up but I can bet she'd find a way to get into it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Also...if youre able to, just leave the game setup and dont tear it down. I like to leave Legendary set up with the Sidekicks, Officers, starting hand, Wounds, Bystanders. I only put away the Heroes/Villains.


Wow, that would be great if I could do that, but...small children.


Lock em up. Im sure you can find some cheap chains and locks.

The game, I mean, not the kids...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Set up 5 starting hands decks and keep them together and ready to go in the box.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell B
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Also...if youre able to, just leave the game setup and dont tear it down. I like to leave Legendary set up with the Sidekicks, Officers, starting hand, Wounds, Bystanders. I only put away the Heroes/Villains.


Wow, that would be great if I could do that, but...small children.

My problem is a curious cat jumping up and stepping on everything. And everything is sleeved so it slides off the table with ease. I blame the wife for making me cave and get the cat... whistle
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My organization is a little chaotic as I acquire more cards. With Civil War, I had to divide it into 3 boxes: base, Villains, & CW. My base box contains all the evergreen stuff: starters, wounds, twists, board, etc. Villains, strangely, holds all my playable allies. They are all alphabetized based on their printed names. I also took out the rares of each ally and made a randomizer deck with them. In CW, I have the schemes and all enemies: Masterminds, Adversaries, & Henchmen. Like with the allies, I made a randomizer deck with 1 copy of each.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
Set up 5 starting hands and keep them together and ready to go in the box.

One of the best suggestions in this thread for a new owner.

I have a divider for each starting hand. Then, all you need to do (after setting up the Hero deck and the Villain deck) is reach in the box, grab a starting hand, hand it to a player, (repeat for each player), and then tell everyone to start shuffling their starting hands.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
slydog75 wrote:
Set up 5 starting hands and keep them together and ready to go in the box.

One of the best suggestions in this thread for a new owner.

I have a divider for each starting hand. Then, all you need to do (after setting up the Hero deck and the Villain deck) is reach in the box, grab a starting hand, hand it to a player, (repeat for each player), and then tell everyone to start shuffling their starting hands.

Absolutely! I went and bought the brick-o-dividers from the Upper Deck store found at --> http://upperdeckstore.com/games-collectibles/legendary-divid...

I also HIGHLY recommend these divider labels to use --> https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1423932/m-strausss-custom-d...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, I know, I never miss an opportunity to brag about my component and box upgrades. Here's my storage/organization solution:
https://youtu.be/dAxT08zduc0


Here are my other cards:

All-red indicates Masterminds, red/black indicates Villain groups, red/white indicates Henchmen. All-black indicates Allies from the Villains sets.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hughes
Australia
Geelong
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2 tips I do:

I bag each deck, so they'll never get mixed if the box ever gets tipped.

I have 3 boxes (Core & each secret wars bog box expansion):
1 Large expansion box for all heroes
1 Large Expansion Box for all villains & henchmen
1 Core Box for everything else (wounds, bystanders, etc core cards, as well as masterminds, schemes, ambitions, shards, etc.)

That way setting up and packing down is relatively simple (if still time consuming)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
edwards12691 wrote:
Like everyone else here has said, keep things organized, use labeled dividers (I just used a regular ballpoint pen on the dividers that came with the game) and you'll be fine.

My wife and I prefer having random setups instead of choosing which heroes/villians/etc we use, and we've found that using a randomizer makes setup much quicker. We use the one I linked below, but there are plenty others out there if you aren't a fan of this one. It gives me really simple setup instructions and makes setup go much quicker.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ctgilley.m...

I use this too - the developer is quick to respond to issues with it if you find any and get in touch via email. I did, they got patched pretty quickly!

DarthEd wrote:
slydog75 wrote:
Set up 5 starting hands and keep them together and ready to go in the box.

One of the best suggestions in this thread for a new owner.

I have a divider for each starting hand. Then, all you need to do (after setting up the Hero deck and the Villain deck) is reach in the box, grab a starting hand, hand it to a player, (repeat for each player), and then tell everyone to start shuffling their starting hands.

I've coded a little Android app which will generate starting hands (i.e. shuffling the 12 starter cards and picking 6**) for the number of players selected.

If y'all ask nicely I might find a way to make it available properly, although I'm also wondering about just making it into a mobile website.

**: It also keeps track of the next 6 cards in a random order, to allow for various draw/discard/check top card effects as required.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, it took two nights, but I fully sleeved and organized my base set. I'll probably upgrade my dividers at some point, but for now, the ones included and a pen worked enough for me.

I also took the advice and set out 5 starting hands with dividers so I can set the game up, drop everything, grab a starting hand, and go.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, can I get a card count the number of copies of Henchman-Sentinels in the base? I think I'm missing a single copy soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Each Villain group should have 8 cards. Each Henchman group should have 10.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
//My Storage System AKA the Cheap, Unskilled Way//

My sorting technique isn't too popular here, but it's cheap, and price probably matters to almost everyone here. I don't have any craftsman skills either (I am preposterously clumsy) so I have never even tried any craft for this game.

I use all the big boxes I own (I don't have Deadpool or Civil War yet), and the only things I've bought are a pack of dividers and lots of black-bordered Ultra Pro sleeves.

I keep my heroes in the three big boxes, the bad guy cards in my Villains box and the other stuff in my Base Set box.

//General Tip on Speeding Up Setup and Tear Down//

One thing that apparently isn't obvious to everyone (more than a few have been pleasantly surprised to learn it) is that it's faster to tear down and set up if you divide the tasks between the players.

Even the inexperienced player can even go through the decks and remove the SHIELD Agents and Troopers, or the Twists and Strikes from the Villain deck.

While not everyone is especially careful and even the most careful of us can miss cards (I sure do!), any bit of sorting your other players handle is sorting you and the really gun-ho players don't have to do, and therefore it saves you time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.