Divine Right» Forums » General

Subject: d6 Divine Right yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Cook
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
So, any word on d6 Divine Right yet? Big fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been years that this has been in process. No idea why it's taking this long to reprint a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered this a while back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see time to update the art and create the counters but the rules are already done. This game screams "Kickstarter" to get money to cover the printing. It doesn't need miniatures or any fancy stuff to play; just the map/counters/dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole thing is bizarre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is languishing in limbo due to a major loss of momentum in updates and probably designer motivation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I have some more news finally, care of the Divine Right Yahoo group. First it would seem that the map and the rules are pretty much finished and ready to go at this time. The hold up seems to be what it has been in the past; the rest of the artwork required for the game...and Excalibre Games. Here is the actual response from the group by J. McCrackan:

'I'm working with Glenn on the forthcoming edition, mostly on edits to the rulebook. It's all ready for publication.

Barry Beadman, who contributed to this thread this morning, is our map editor. Only minor edits remain to be implemented.

That leaves the cards and counters. The contracted publisher, Excalibre Games, said they would find artists to update the images. Glenn has repeatedly asked EG for status reports for more than a year but has heard nothing back. I don't know what would happen legally if the publisher fails to publish the game, but we have many more alternative publishers to consider.

I am sorry that another Christmas will come and go with DR not showing up beneath anyone's tree. I wish I could tell you that the majority of the work is behind us, but again, I have no idea where the cards and counters are at.'

There was also some brief discussion on the computer version of DR, which seems to be coming along. Here's a link to the latest info on what DevGame is doing with that:

http://devgamecourse.blogspot.com/search/label/Divine%20Righ...

Oh, and there was also this bit of news:

'Castalia House also acquired the right to produce novels and RPG materials set in the world of Minaria and utilizing the Divine Right name.'

Their site and the relevant quote is here: http://www.castaliahouse.com/divine-right-in-development/#co...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris! Good to see an update. I have no idea what Excalibre did to get this license, but it seems like a fiasco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Maroney
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Castalia House also acquired the right to produce novels and RPG materials set in the world of Minaria and utilizing the Divine Right name."

Oh. Well, so much for any chance that I'll ever buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
womzilla wrote:
Quote:
"Castalia House also acquired the right to produce novels and RPG materials set in the world of Minaria and utilizing the Divine Right name."

Oh. Well, so much for any chance that I'll ever buy it.

Why? Is there a reason we should avoid Castalia House products?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. McCrackan
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the editor of the forthcoming edition of DR, I assure you that whatever work Castalia is doing has zero bearing on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
McCrackan wrote:
As the editor of the forthcoming edition of DR, I assure you that whatever work Castalia is doing has zero bearing on the game.

So...why is it taking so long to reprint the game? It feels like forever that the reprint has been in process. I can see how updating the graphics a bit on the map/counters (but not too much) could take a little time. As for play testing the rules already exist in a variety of formats. If everything was ready to go and $$ was the only issue...I'm guessing Kickstarter would allow you to raise enough to publish the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. McCrackan
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A) The editor and artist are volunteers, squeezing DR labors into their already busy days as they can.
B) Glenn had no original artwork from which the artists could work. Every image had to be scanned and touched up by artists.
C) Glenn wants nothing to do with self-publishing, so Kickstarter was a non-issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rose
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McCrackan wrote:
A) The editor and artist are volunteers, squeezing DR labors into their already busy days as they can.
B) Glenn had no original artwork from which the artists could work. Every image had to be scanned and touched up by artists.
C) Glenn wants nothing to do with self-publishing, so Kickstarter was a non-issue.

That's too bad. Having funds to pay artists would make things happen a lot quicker. I waited on this reprint for years and gave up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. McCrackan
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you've given up on DR3, you might be interested in my copy of DR1 that I've just posted on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/132187315751?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So...Excalibre is using volunteers to create/update the artwork? They aren't paying anyone? Or is this what you and Glenn have resorted to since Excalibre basically is doing nothing to publish the game they contracted to publish?

Obviously a DR reprint will not move the needle for anyone financially, so I understand that these things take time, it just seems like either A) a publisher should be able to move things along faster by devoting resources to it, or B) we should all accept that this project may take several more years because it's a labor of love done by unpaid volunteers since there's really no money in the reprint.

Obviously we all wish it was A, but if it's B that's fine too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. McCrackan
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the past twenty years, I've been working with Glenn on updating and revising the rulebook--gratis. I went into this with the intention of just uploading a PDF edition, so when Excalibre asks to let Glenn publish it, I thought it would be unfair to suddenly expect payment. I also didn't want to risk having the publisher walk.

We have an artist who updated the DR map, and I believe that he negotiated payment with the publisher, who claims to have several artists working on the rest of the game's components.

Right now, I'm the one holding things up because I'm combing thru the rulebook one last time before releasing it to a playtester to demo DR at a con this August. If I get the rulebook done in time, I'll post a notice on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, good luck with it! Your devotion to the game is fabulous for all of us nostalgic oldtimers hoping to see another version on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. McCrackan
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Murray
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Please, Please go Kickstarter. Many of us would like to play again and the previous editions are really hard to come by for those of us on a budget.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is in the works to be made right now, there's no need for you to risk your money in trying to see the game produced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. McCrackan
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter was always a non-issue because Glenn knows very little about publishing and doesn't care to learn. Same here. Besides, we had a list of about two dozen game publishers to choose from. Just gotta be patient, I'm afraid. Or play DR online via TSS or PYDR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an addendum to this discussion, I saw recently on CSW that Glenn R had posted on the Yahoo group in 2013 that Excalibre had 2 years to publish the game. Is that period being extended b/c you are still finalizing your own portions of it?

I guess more importantly, was the game demoed in August? Inquiring minds want to know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a mailing list one can subscribe to for updates on the progress...? I declined the 25th anniversary edition because the map art was so different to the original (my copy of which was assassinated by a flood in my parents' garage ), so I'd love to get my hands on a reprint with (almost) the original art...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.