Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combat Encounter - Can you look at monsters stats beforehand? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Trusty
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Hi, we got Eldritch Horror a few months ago and love it, however there is one rule/situation that still raises questions:

When a monster enters play, or any time after it enters play but before you engage in combat with it, are any of the investigators allowed to look at its stats on the back (sanity, strength, toughness)?

It seems like the answer to this would drastically change how we play the game, making it much harder if not allowed to look. On one hand, there is a rule that states "if a card is two sided, do not look at the back of it until the card tells you to flip it." On the other hand, some monsters require you to flip them for reckoning or spawn ability, and it is hard not to look at the stats when doing this. From a common sense point of view, it would seem that the person wouldn't really know how tough a monster was until he first engaged it in combat, however, maybe i'm just making the game harder than it needs to be.

Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can look at its stats on the back at any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
Only In It For The Chuckles!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can look at the back of the monster tokens - eventually you get to learn them through repetition anyway as the back of a monsters token is constant for each type. The only difference I can recall to that is cultists - and their stats are right on the front of the AO sheet so that itself indicates to me it is fine to know what the monster stats are.

Only the double sided cards like spells have differing backs. The main reason why you cannot look at them is because the same spell can have a different effect each casting. The same with the other double backed cards where each flip side has a slightly different resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fun but tough variant to play with hidden monsters. I like it when newbies play with seasoned players and they can ask things like, "Star Spawn? That sounds like a Pokemon. I'm sure it's easy to defeat." "Umm... you better stay away from that. I encountered one of those once and barely lived to regret it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
msg tools
mbmbmb
sure, it's harder without looking but it feels like cheating to check a fresh spawned monster's stats...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.