Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
Four more years! #Cespedes #LGM
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the following posted in a general forum thread about games that people own multiple copies of.

Bagherra wrote:

Wiz-War to build tesseract maps

(Link to original post thread: Re: Do you own multiple copies of the same game?)

Whoa, whoa, whoa...what does this mean? I just searched the Wiz War forums and cannot find the word tesseract mentioned anywhere. Inquiring minds want to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you link to the original forum thread?

EDIT:

Perhaps it has something to do with one of these two game:

Tesseract
Tesseract

DOUBLE EDIT:

Or possibly this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
Can you link to the original forum thread?

Good point. Added link to my original message. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might have to be something to do with the video I posted above. though it doesn't make sense how that would work with wizwar, or further how the whole concept of a board "flipping" could be utilized.

There's also this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The map is not really a tesseract. It is more of a "sphere for people who are not good at geometry" in that all the boards are "geomorphic" and connect to each other at the edges. You can get a headache trying to visualize it, just keep in mind that all the maps are connected at the edges and go get those enemy wizards!

Watch out for traps and closets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy. I sure hope someone can post a picture of this. I am indeed getting a headache trying to picture this, and searches on "tesseract" and "geomorphic" only made it worse.

I think I better lie down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Geomorphic" refers to maps that can fit together orthogonally with no problem. I believe it to be an old wargame marketing term from the 70's. In Wiz-War every map edge can abut to any other map edge and the doors line up. The one is easy.

The headache starts when you try to visualize how that happens in 3d while the maps are 2d.

Go slowly, try not to overthink it (it is a game, after all) and watch your back - That knife cannot be removed and used as a weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
"Geomorphic" refers to maps that can fit together orthogonally with no problem. I believe it to be an old wargame marketing term from the 70's. In Wiz-War every map edge can abut to any other map edge and the doors line up. The one is easy.

The headache starts when you try to visualize how that happens in 3d while the maps are 2d.

Go slowly, try not to overthink it (it is a game, after all) and watch your back - That knife cannot be removed and used as a weapon.

Excellent answer.

My problem is not with the individual words. It is, as you correctly surmised, in trying to visualize it.

I think I hear someone coming up behind me. Or above me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:

So then Martin, What could be the purpose of owning several Wiz-War games to create "Tesseract Maps?"

Is that a fancy way of saying, I have more than one copy of Wiz-War so that I can create larger boards/mazes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Farrand
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I thought older versions of Wiz-war suggested board configurations for more than 4 players, not sure if the ffg one does. This would require multiple copies of the game. Here are some examples previously posted:

Go Isles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErnestBORG9 wrote:
I thought older versions of Wiz-war suggested board configurations for more than 4 players, not sure if the ffg one does. This would require multiple copies of the game. Here are some examples previously posted:

Go Isles!

An Isles fan on BGG? You've got to fly that Microbadge. I see it hiding in your collection.

Hmm...the multiplayer thing makes sense. FFG added a 5th player and additional board with the Wiz-War: Malefic Curses expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Farrand
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
lol. The first time I played Wiz-war, the Islanders were winning Stanley Cups!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErnestBORG9 wrote:
lol. The first time I played Wiz-war, the Islanders were winning Stanley Cups!

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Link to an answer from the thread that got me started on this question:

Re: Do you own multiple copies of the same game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the concept is similar to the video.
You need six boards, six players.

The board is setup in a cross pattern.
The boards adjacent to the center board in the middle of the cross connect to their side neighbor, and the other doors connect as if the rooms closed in to a box.

It is more appropriate to call it the inside of a cube or sphere, but since some cards allow you to rotate and relocate rooms, it seems more appropriate to call it a tesseract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
Is that a fancy way of saying, I have more than one copy of Wiz-War so that I can create larger boards/mazes?
Tony answered it, to the best of my knowledge.

A tesseract is a fanciful geometric exercise. It would be more work than worth it to try and represent one with 2d boards on a table for a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.