GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,434 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Asymmetric Dexterity Nanogame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an idea for the Button Shy Nanogame contest (http://buttonshygames.com/pages/button-shy-nano-game-contest) for a 2-3 player dexterity game with different roles accomplishing different tasks. The roles would be the Builder, the Inspector, and the Demolisher. Each have different win conditions, but have to work together with each other at certain points. Like Between Two Cities, a player's score is the lowest score in a partnership.

The game right now is taking 6-9 cards that are folded in different ways and stacking them on top of each other, loading the structure with coins, and then knocking down the structure. In each stage, two people are accomplishing the task together. When building, the Builder and the Destroyer work together to build the structure as tall as possible. When loading, the Inspector and the Builder try to place as many coins as possible on the structure. When destroying, the Inspector and the Destroyer try to knock the structure down in as few tries as possible while launching a coin. I've thought about a non-destructive 3rd option, like relocating the building by pushing it, so that might fit in better.

I don't have a good title for it yet, but I'm excited for it. Let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Retooled the game and the asymmetric roles are gone. All of the other phases depended on the the tower not falling down, so if that first phase goes poorly, the rest of the game falls apart.

Now players are simultaneously picking cards from a line. The closer the card is to the tower, the sooner it will be put on the tower. The picking kinda reminds me of Gravwell playing cards and seeing when you move in the round. If more than one player picks a card, they have to put it on the tower together. The higher the tower goes, the more points you get for successfully placing a card. If the tower falls, the players not involved gets the points they would have.

But all of this is just words since I haven't playtested this yet with other people....soon, hopefully!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had my first playtest of the game and it went pretty well. 3 player was a little boring, so maybe this will have players pick 2 cards instead of just one. I like that idea because the cooperation was my favorite part of the game. It instantly divides players into teams when players pick the same card. We played that whoever knocked down the tower gives points to the other players, rather than scoring after every card placed. I have to thank my wife for that idea. Still thinking about a theme for it. We discussed pagodas, disposable Japanese houses, tower of Babel, but I still want to keep looking. I did have fun, so it was a relief that the game wasn't complete garbage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.