George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
So read through a bunch of threads, but still would like this confirmed:

Hunter moved into city, reveals dracula and is ambushed by a vampire. Hunter/Vampire combat commences. If Hunter "Escapes" the combat, then they will still fight Dracula at Dusk, correct?

Basically, you always fight Dracula at Dawn/Dusk, regardless of any Encounters still at that location?

I think in 2nd edition you had to clear all minions first, so I had that stuck in my head. This occurred in a game last night, and I was very low health as the Hunter but had Heroic Leap. Wanted to use Heroic Leap with Dracula, but wasn't sure I could just slip out of the Vampire combat without defeating it. So I stayed and the Vampire killed me. Dracula only had 1 health so I would rather have escaped and then fought Drac.

Not having any luck trying to find this confirmed in the awful rulebooks either! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
So read through a bunch of threads, but still would like this confirmed:

Hunter moved into city, reveals dracula and is ambushed by a vampire. Hunter/Vampire combat commences. If Hunter "Escapes" the combat, then they will still fight Dracula at Dusk, correct?

Basically, you always fight Dracula at Dawn/Dusk, regardless of any Encounters still at that location?

I think in 2nd edition you had to clear all minions first, so I had that stuck in my head. This occurred in a game last night, and I was very low health as the Hunter but had Heroic Leap. Wanted to use Heroic Leap with Dracula, but wasn't sure I could just slip out of the Vampire combat without defeating it. So I stayed and the Vampire killed me. Dracula only had 1 health so I would rather have escaped and then fought Drac.

Not having any luck trying to find this confirmed in the awful rulebooks either! Thanks.

Correct, you will fight Dracula at Dusk. I don't see that the rules need to confirm this, they say you fight Dracula at Dawn/Dusk and that is all they need to say. If this wasn't the case it would be an exception to the rules and that would need stating (e.g. if an encounter had placed Fog tokens in the location).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I agree it's mostly my preconceptions based on 2nd edition. Though it wouldn't have hurt if somewhere it said something like, "An undefeated Vampire remains on the Location and will only be triggered by another ambush or search action."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
Thanks! I agree it's mostly my preconceptions based on 2nd edition. Though it wouldn't have hurt if somewhere it said something like, "An undefeated Vampire remains on the Location and will only be triggered by another ambush or search action."

It kinda does, but it is spread out over multiple sections.

RRG pg 14 under Vampire Encounters: If a hunter either resolves a search action or is ambushed in a hideout or lair and an encounter card is revealed that reads, “fight this vampire,” a combat occurs.

Also under the same header: If combat ends without the vampire being defeated, the damage it suffered remains on the card.

RRG pg 4 under Combat: Combat with a vampire encounter can occur when either a hunter resolves a search action or Dracula ambushes a hunter.

The LtP on pg 14 under Fighting Vampires has most of this info as well.

So you have to put these two parts together and not insert stuff that isn't there, though admittedly in your case you are working with the 2nd edition preconceptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see a sheet describing differences between 2nd and 3rd Edition being useful to some. (I'm not sure that FFG was obligated to make one, but it would be a useful PDF to post at BGG.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.