Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Paterson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some cards have a "Max" requirement to play them. Typically "Max X celsius". if I play that card, and then the temperature reaches X celsius, does the card's effect become voided at that point?

I'm thinking about "Extreme Cold Fungus", which says "Max -10C". Presumably you can play and use this card up to -10, and then it becomes voided when the temperature jumps up to -8C (and higher), because the fungus dies out. It's too warm!

What has me questioning that assumption is just the wording. It reads like it has to be -10C or colder to play it, but the rules are kind of unclear about activating it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pacemaker 67
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Effect of cards with "Max" requirements
nakedmeeple wrote:
Some cards have a "Max" requirement to play them. Typically "Max X celsius". if I play that card, and then the temperature reaches X celsius, does the card's effect become voided at that point?

I'm thinking about "Extreme Cold Fungus", which says "Max -10C". Presumably you can play and use this card up to -10, and then it becomes voided when the temperature jumps up to -8C (and higher), because the fungus dies out. It's too warm!

What has me questioning that assumption is just the wording. It reads like it has to be -10C or colder to play it, but the rules are kind of unclear about activating it.

rules wrote:
6. Requirement: Any requirement must be met in order to play the card. Some cards require a global parameter to have reached a certain level, while others can only be played while the parameter is still low (see example card). Some cards require that you have certain tags or production. (Note: In order to play the card you must also be able to perform the effects of the card, see page 9.) Note also that the requirement only needs to be fulfilled when playing the card, not when you use it later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Requirements are only applied when a card is played. In an early prototype of the game, we tried having cards deactivate for thematic reasons. However, the small gain in theme did not outweigh the fiddlyness and administrative task to keep track of all those effects, so we simplified the rules.

As I said, requirements are only ever considered when playing the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Aethan wrote:
Requirements are only applied when a card is played. In an early prototype of the game, we tried having cards deactivate for thematic reasons. However, the small gain in theme did not outweigh the fiddlyness and administrative task to keep track of all those effects, so we simplified the rules.

As I said, requirements are only ever considered when playing the card.

YAY!

That means my recent solo victory wasn't built on a lie.

Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.