Subject: Additional Board Setup Suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasey Schertenleib
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I was wondering if anyone has come up with interesting board setup options for either the Tavern side or the Pirate Ship side.

I've been searching online and haven't found any posts with alternate setup suggestions.

Anyone tried different table, chair, barrel setups other than what is shown in the rule book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kasey113 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has come up with interesting board setup options for either the Tavern side or the Pirate Ship side.

I've been searching online and haven't found any posts with alternate setup suggestions.

Anyone tried different table, chair, barrel setups other than what is shown in the rule book?

I let the players all work together to setup the board as they see fit ... 1 rule: nothing in the yellow boxes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kasey113 wrote:

Trick setups like placing carpet laterally directly in front of starting yellow squares should be out. All mugs on tables and evenly distributed chairs and barrels so one player isn't tempted to move to an arsenal and begin pitching things with an endless supply.

I prefer random placement as well to prevent friends or couples from unfair cooperation.

One idea, since the carpets are so large, is to color copy them and cut them up to better fit in areas and affect fewer players when yanked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasey Schertenleib
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Good ideas, thanks!

Have you tried the Pirate Ship board yet? It looks like the ships would get pretty crowded with all of the tables, chairs, and rugs on there. I was surprised there was no recommended setup on the PDF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
The Fog of War! Available now!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly we only figured people would play with the included setup once, just to get a feel for what to avoid. For just about every playtest we just told people to set up the board however they wanted and it worked fine.

That's why we didn't include a setup for the Pirate Ships. We assumed by then people would have a game or two under their belt and would set it up however they'd like.

We strongly enjoy setting up the barrels to be lined up with the gangplanks.

For the tavern, there are a lot of fun setups like making long tables for a big 'shove table' action and epic tabletop sword fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasey Schertenleib
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Geoff! I'm always amazed at the responsiveness of game designers on these forums. It's greatly appreciated.

The Dragon and Flagon was a big hit at our monthly game night in September (eight players), and it's been requested again for tomorrow night. Looking forward to trying out the team variant this time. I'll be sure to suggest the extra long table setup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.