10 Posts

Apex Theropod Deck-Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Stomping Grounds and multiplayer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Can anyone please comment on the Stomping Grounds expansion in overall and how does it expand the multiplayer side of the game?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GREAT expansion!

It adds a few cards to the base set player decks, but also new Environments, Afflictions, Prey, Big Game, Titan, Menace, Predator Boss and Minion cards along with adding the Key Word Stomping Ground.

In multi-player, the key word lets you attack a fellow player in a way that's kind of similar to the Battle Royale (only far better) in order to steal a Carcass or another card from their Hoard. This is big because it can deny them key Evolve Points at a key time in the game, plus you gain those points for your own use!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paschal
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What David said. It was originally supposed to be the only thing that was to come out but it really opened up a lot of other options for development.

Great expansion. I would suggest it as the THE expansion that everyone gets before the other species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Thanks.

Would you play the base game first and then add it or would you add it from the first game?

Is it also a significant addition to the solo play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me break those two apart for a minute:

Badigel wrote:
Would you play the base game first and then add it or would you add it from the first game?
Personally, I don't see any issue or problem with combining them right away. Other than that keyword, there's nothing new as far as mechanics or major challenges added by the expansion. That said, there would be zero harm if you decide to get a couple games just with the base set under your belt first.

Badigel wrote:

Actually, in solo play, the new Keyword has a nice addition to solo play as well, but it's not as dynamic as in multi-player (for obvious reasons). I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but if memory serves, the Stomping Ground ability in solo play allows you to sacrifice the Attack points on that card to gain a Carcass or other card with Evolve Points printed on it from the Elimination Pile and add it to your Hoard. Pretty handy, especially if there's nothing worth hunting on the Game Trail or you don't have enough Attack Points to conduct a good Hunt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean stockton
msg tools
mb
I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but if memory serves, the Stomping Ground ability in solo play allows you to sacrifice the Attack points on that card to gain a Carcass or other card with Evolve Points printed on it from the Elimination Pile and add it to your Hoard. Pretty handy, especially if there's nothing worth hunting on the Game Trail or you don't have enough Attack Points to conduct a good Hunt.[/q]

Close...Stomping Grounds lets you sacrifice your hunt score in this case, to take a card from an opponents Hoard, instead of the Hunt Trail. But otherwise works the same as an Alpha Battle, in comparing Hunt values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pr0phetbg wrote:
Close...Stomping Grounds lets you sacrifice your hunt score in this case, to take a card from an opponents Hoard, instead of the Hunt Trail. But otherwise works the same as an Alpha Battle, in comparing Hunt values.

But in solo play there is no opponent to have a Hoard...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'd completely forgotten about this thread and, since I'm home at the moment, I now have the actual wording from the Stomping Grounds rule:

Quote:
Stomping Grounds! Unique Ability
Solo Play:
You may sacrifice the Hunt Points (///) of the played Stomping Grounds Apex card to take a Carcass, Prey or Big Game card from the Elimination Pile and place it in your Hoard.

Multiplayer:
When you play an Apex card with the Stomping Grounds! ability, you may attempt to steal a card from another player's Hoard.

This id done by generating your Hunt Point (///) total of the Stomping Grounds Apex card and any additional Apex cards played with it. The defending player then must match or beat your Hunt Point total by revealing Apex cards from their hand and/or Ambush Point.

If the defending player cannot match or beat your Hunt Point total, then the hunt is a success. You may select one card from their Hoard and place it in yours.

If the defending player matches or beats your Hunt Point total, then you gain an Affliction card, adding it to your Discard Pile, and the hunt is unsuccessful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean stockton
msg tools
mb
Ahh, I forgot that. I very rarely purchase Stomping Grounds Apex when I play solo, so I forgot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Carter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:

After I bought & received the game, I checked to make sure I had all the components. Then, I read the rules. Afterwards, I added every expansion I had into the base game (four in total, including Stomping Grounds.)

Personally, I love expansions that just add more to a game without changing a bunch of mechanics. These expansions do just that. They feel natural to the gameplay.

If I recall correctly, each expansion I got came with a small card explaining the stomping grounds rules. I believe Stomping Grounds also came with new rules on how to set-up the affliction deck.

I say get every expansion you have an interest in or are able to get . Read the rules that come w/ the base game. Then, read your expansion(s) reference cards. Then, combine everything and play. If you truly wanted to, you could even ignore the stomping grounds ability and use the new cards like normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.