Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Chua
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggling to sort the components again last night made me shake my head in disbelief. Can someone shed light on why Uwe thought this game necessitated components for 7 players?

5 may have already been stretching it, but 7?? I found myself trying to pack and organize all these components and also wondering how much more economical it would have been if they capped the game for 5.

I'm not trying to slag on the game (which I ADORE) but this honestly has me flustered. Has anyone even attempted to play with the full player count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerritjan Roubos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I did once and it was much fun. The game took about 3.5 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roubosga wrote:
Yes I did once and it was much fun. The game took about 3.5 hours.
Yes I did once and it was horrible. The game felt like it took about 3.5 weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuman007 wrote:
Struggling to sort the components again last night made me shake my head in disbelief. Can someone shed light on why Uwe thought this game necessitated components for 7 players?

5 may have already been stretching it, but 7?? I found myself trying to pack and organize all these components and also wondering how much more economical it would have been if they capped the game for 5.

I'm not trying to slag on the game (which I ADORE) but this honestly has me flustered. Has anyone even attempted to play with the full player count?

The 7 Dwarves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it's totally bad above 5.
Sell the 6p-7p components to someone who would try 8p-9p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Olivier Fiset
Canada
flag msg tools
I loved this game at 6 players. Can't wait to try it at 7.

With more players, there are more available actions and the actions are more powerful. The obvious example is the first player action, which gives rubies at higher player counts. Those better actions makes the game really interesting IMO.

To each their own, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad that we can play up to 7, as I regularly get 6+ in our game nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad the option exists. How many other medium-weight Euros or heavier go to 7?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
marcofiset wrote:
I loved this game at 6 players. Can't wait to try it at 7.
I bet you CAN wait.

I'm with OP though, SOOOOO much downtime, I would never ever be willing to try. If it wasn't a standard euro, and instead had meaningful direct interaction and negotiations, like ... say ... Struggle of Empires which is AMAZING at 7, then that'd be something, but just an indirect worker placement? hell no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capped it at 5 after trying the 7p game. tried 3 6p games, which is better, but only when you need a long game for awkward numbers of people.

i need to try a 6p game with the 7p board, but i feel like 4 to 5 will be my favorite numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't play it with more than 4 personally

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chuman007 wrote:
Has anyone even attempted to play with the full player count?
Yes. It works - even with one, maybe two new players. The trick it to understand that you don't have to wait for the 'current player' to finish their deliberations before starting your turn*. The other trick is not to play with folks prone to AP. Once you develop a rhythm, it goes quickly. It's nowhere near as deep as Agricola and so you can pretty-much speed along as there are few bifurcations along the path of optimum strategy.

BTW: there are plenty of discussions on this issue already, iirc. A new one is nobbut an opportunity to 'rinse and repeat'; which is what I have done.

*I have played 6p/7p games where the turn came around to the player who was still deliberating - s/he was instructed how to immediately play the pending turn with little good grace. The downtime is nowhere near as much as people who haven't played it properly appropriately claim it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Chuman007 wrote:
Struggling to sort the components again last night made me shake my head in disbelief.

I'm generally pretty anal about sorting components but this is one game where you can probably just throw all the stuff into the box and pick them out as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilborson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hit the big 50 in two weeks and my treat is to play this as 7 players, I can't wait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuman007 wrote:

I almost exclusively play at 6 or 7 players.

Firstly, frankly at 1-5 players I'd rather play Agricola. We generally have 6 players at gaming events, and 7 as often as 5 - and people don't want to split into two groups. The player count was the reason I got Caverna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
Really!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
july mjj
Philippines
Cebu City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enjoyed the 1 time i played with 7 players, took about 3.5 hours, with 2 newbies in the game. provided that i was fairly new to the game (my 3rd or 4th game maybe?), and while waiting for my turn, i was pouring over the building list player guide, so i didn't feel the downtime that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's good with 7 players. Really this is one of the special treats Caverna delivers. It's the only one in the Agricola family that stretches to seven, but stretch it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.