Subject: Location 28 Exchange Fruit Tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duchess of Erat
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if only one player has a fruit token?

Can I swap no fruit token for the fruit token? It does say what happens if noone has a token, but not what happens if only one player has one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedemann Friese
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
english rule: "If neither you nor any other player have such a token, take 1 fruit token from the pool"

That means if you have no token or nobody else has. If you have no token, take one. If nobody else has one, take one.

I'm glad it is that clear in the rules.

Ooops, my english is not as good as I hoped it is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
friedemann wrote:
english rule: "If neither you nor any other player have such a token, take 1 fruit token from the pool"

That means if you have no token or nobody else has. If you have no token, take one. If nobody else has one, take one.

I'm glad it is that clear in the rules. Thanks Henning.

FWIW like the original poster, I understand that quoted sentence with "neither...nor..." to mean "if you have no such token and if all your opponents have no such a token", that is "if nobody has a token".

You seem to be saying that "Neither X nor Y" means "(not X) OR (not Y)".

But "Neither X nor Y" means "(not X) AND (not Y)".

E.g.
used for showing that something is not true of two or more people, things, actions, qualities, or ideas

Neither his son nor his daughter were at the funeral.
Ron’s neither as young nor as fit as the other members of the team.
The president spoke neither for nor against economic reform.
I’m sorry but I can neither confirm nor deny the allegation.

Or
Neither he nor I will be there.

"Neither he nor I will be there" means that he won't be there and I won't be there.

It does not allow the possibility that he will be there or that I will be there.

To put it another way: "nor" works as a conjunction (and) of negative subparts, not a disjunction (or).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjunction_%28grammar%29

---

Instead of "If neither you nor any other player have such a token, take 1 fruit token from the pool", something like "If you don't have such a token or if no opponent has such a token, then..." seems more grammatically correct and clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friedemann wrote:

That means if you have no token or nobody else has.

No, that's not what it means in English. It means that you don't have such a token AND no other player does either. Looks like a translation error?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duchess of Erat
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying, I didn't get that from the rules, I understood it the way the others said because of the 'nor'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
Looks like a translation error?

I agree, unless the german text is wrong too. I am wondering what the german text is (I am unable to find it online). Could someone provide it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedemann Friese
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Brother wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
Looks like a translation error?

I agree, unless the german text is wrong too. I am wondering what the german text is (I am unable to find it online). Could someone provide it?

german text: "Falls du keines hast oder kein Spieler anderer eines hat,..."

rough translation:

"If you do have none or no other player has one,..."

Just edit the original post. I don't know where the "Spieler" game from, but sometimes Spieler just appear....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
friedemann wrote:

With the german text I would have gotten the correct result (although I suspect that the order of "Spieler" and "anderer" is reversed). Which is kinda funny (to me), because we decided to get the english version because we thought it would be clearer (for most people we play with english is easier than german).

Do you know whether the german version of the glossary is going to be online at some point? (This would have made it possible for us to take a look at the original german text.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedemann Friese
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Brother wrote:
friedemann wrote:

With the german text I would have gotten the correct result (although I suspect that the order of "Spieler" and "anderer" is reversed). Which is kinda funny (to me), because we decided to get the english version because we thought it would be clearer (for most people we play with english is easier than german).

Do you know whether the german version of the glossary is going to be online at some point? (This would have made it possible for us to take a look at the original german text.)

Sorry I have to edit my text "Spieler" is to much and not in the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I think from this discussion that the card as written in English is incorrect, and it should be:

"If either you do not have a token or no other player has a token, take a fruit token from the supply instead."

Is that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
OK, so I think from this discussion that the card as written in English is incorrect, and it should be:

"If either you do not have a token or no other player has a token, take a fruit token from the supply instead."

Is that right?

"Either" suggests "exclusive or", i.e. that exactly one of the two subconditions must be true, and it's not possible for both to be true. (So if you have no token AND no other player has a token, then the precondition is false, and so you do not take a fruit token from the supply instead... but then it's unclear what you should do in case nobody has a token.)

(Cf https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_or )

I understood it to be rather "inclusive or":

"If you do not have a token or no other player has a token, then take a fruit token from the supply instead."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.