Mirza Rachmat
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I only played a few board games, but I got an idea from Evolution by ending the game by finishing the deck of cards. I am new to board game designing and it looks interesting. I start writing the rule of my game and hopefully come up with the right mechanics for the theme.

My game is about scoring points by creating story. The players are writers that want to collaborate, create their own, sabotage, steal stories that they build in the middle board (does not have to be board). To finish a story, a story has to have six cards which are character card, exposition card, rising action card, climax card, falling action card, and resolution card. Once you put a resolution card in a story (either yours or others), the story is yours and you get to keep the character and resolution card for your evidence of scoring points. Points can be gathered by collecting stories and play the exposition, rising, climax, and falling cards (they are all action cards) and you will get some coins or something from the cards right away. It looks easy, but every character has unique sanity level and they will go down as you play the cards, depends on the action cards. If the character card loses all of its sanity level, you have to start over and put the action card into discard pile and put character card into the bottom of character card deck.

Character cards and resolution cards are in different decks respectively, and the other cards are in one deck. The game will end if the last story to be made with the last character card and resolution card is finish. I was thinking to give the last character an immunity from any decreasing effect to sanity level from action card. In the end of the game, every player sum up their coins and stories for points and the person with the highest points wins.

I want to have you guys' opinions. Hopefully one of you guys find it interesting. I am trying to get a grip on the flow of the game and then the unique effects of the cards. Please leave a comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I fully understand the concept. Can you describe what a typical turn might look like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirza Rachmat
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
I'm not sure I fully understand the concept. Can you describe what a typical turn might look like?

So i have figured out how it played. There will be 3 decks of card character deck, action deck (exposition, falling and rising action, climax) and resolution card. Each player starts with 1 character card and 4 action cards. Each turn a player can do 3 moves which can be starting a new story by placing a character card in the middle or continuing a story by placing an action card. Each card has its own effect, and draw a resolution card is one of them. As your turn come to an end, draw a card from character deck or action deck.

As i mentioned before a story needs at least 1 character, 1 exposition, 1 rising action, 1 climax, 1 falling action, and 1 resolution. If you finish a story, you have to keep the character and resolution to be scored in the end of the game. There is a certain rule on placing the action card.
1. Character always has to be followed by exposition card.
2. Exposition always has to be followed by rising action card.
3. Resolution can only be placed after falling action.

That's all the rules that I can remember. I'm making some effects on the cards right now.

Btw thanks for responding my thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Kline
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
www.MysticTigerGames.com
badge
www.MysticTigerGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Tales from the Taverns: Legends of Goblins Past; it sounds similar to your idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirza Rachmat
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't heard of that game. Just saw its review from some reviewers. It's true except the theme and instead of players attach to their character, players just focus on finishing a story and get some coins. May be I need to tweek around to make it more different. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.