7 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Preparing for first time, 2 investigators game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diego Montado
msg tools
Hi!

I bought this game some months ago, and will start preparing for this Saturday.

Got a couple questions:

- Would this game be enjoyable with just 2 investigators, and me as keeper?

- I believe I have a fairly new version, does much errata exist with this latest version?

- Any recommendations for first time 'keeper' so our first game is enjoyable?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 3. Eh, maybe. The game's not extraordinarily balanced. You may need to go a little easy on them. I guess it depends on if their almost-inevitable failure is part of the fun to them. Every gaming group is different. I would recommend Fall of House Lynch as a first game.

2. Yes... just look up FAQs for Mansions of Madness on the FFG site, or even here. Make sure you're not looking at the 2nd edition entry, though. As far as personal tweaks, I'd recommend perusing the "Variants" forums here. A lot of people have different takes on different scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter the player count we plat with 4 investigators... people just play multiple ones. Yes it gives the OL more threat... but it gives you more mobility.
Yes I find this game enjoyable as any number of players (2-5).
Just so the investigators understand... this is cthulhu. The deck is stacked against them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Montado
msg tools
Thanks!

And wont the playing with 2 investigators thing be too much for them, or take them out of the rpg aspect of it (actually don't know if this is somehow rpg-esque....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Diegann wrote:
Thanks!

And wont the playing with 2 investigators thing be too much for them, or take them out of the rpg aspect of it (actually don't know if this is somehow rpg-esque....)

It can be rpg esque... But that is more about the attitude of the Keeper. Laughing maniacally as you drive one of them to suicide always helps set the theme of the game.

Read all flavor text. One every card. Every card the keeper plays, every combat card... it also adds to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if you're not prepared to invest in the theme, this is not the game for you.

I think 1 investigator per player is best, because they can get fully immersed in that character. But again, you may need to go easy. Or give yourself maybe 1½ threat per round instead of 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 investigators work. Especially in the Fall of House Lynch. In some of the other scenarios 2 investigars may be physically too little to explore everything you need to explore. (I believe the last scenario specifically says so).

Anyway, the important part is to check out the minimal fixes to this game by Nicola Zee, found here.

Some of the scenarios have broken objectives or are massively imbalanced. This document provides easy fixes for that.

You can play the first scenario as is, though.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.