Hide
4 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Norman Withers on Mystery cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skippy Skip
msg tools
Sorry if this seems abit self answered, but I've seen repeated posts which flat-out say that Norman Withers cannot use his passive ability on Mystery cards.

Passive ability "Once per round, you may spend 1 sanity in place of spending 1 Clue."

However, I have a mystery card from Yog-Sothoth called Arcane Understanding.

Arcane Understanding "When an investigator passes a Lore test while resolving a Spell effect, he may spend 1 Clue and discard that Spell after he has finished resolving its effects. If he does, place 1 Eldritch token on this card."

Can anyone clarify if I can cast a spell as Norman Withers and simply spend 1 Sanity in place of spending a clue for this? Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skippyy13 wrote:
Sorry if this seems abit self answered, but I've seen repeated posts which flat-out say that Norman Withers cannot use his passive ability on Mystery cards.

Passive ability "Once per round, you may spend 1 sanity in place of spending 1 Clue."

However, I have a mystery card from Yog-Sothoth called Arcane Understanding.

Arcane Understanding "When an investigator passes a Lore test while resolving a Spell effect, he may spend 1 Clue and discard that Spell after he has finished resolving its effects. If he does, place 1 Eldritch token on this card."

Can anyone clarify if I can cast a spell as Norman Withers and simply spend 1 Sanity in place of spending a clue for this? Thank you.

Yes, you can. The situation when the ability can't be used arises when you need to put a clue on the mystery, because you have no clue to put on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only other time Norman can't spend Sanity is when you aren't allowed to use a Clue you already have - generally when advancing a Mystery requires a Clue from a specific Encounter, something like that. If any old Clue will do, Norman gets it done (one Clue once per turn, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the key is the phrase "Spend 1 Clue".

If a Mystery says something like "After resolving a location encounter, if you gain a Clue, you may place it on the Mystery," there's nothing that Norman's ability can help with. You might be tempted to think that if you didn't gain a Clue, Norman could just spend 1 Sanity and then place a Clue on the Mystery. But no -- the Mystery didn't use the word "spend".

But Arcane Understanding does use the word "spend", so his ability works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.